How many steelhead on a guided trip?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by 2LazyH, Mar 25, 2009.

1. 2LazyH

2LazyH New Member

If you have hired a guide for steelhead (fly fishing only) in the state of Washington, what is your success rate? Honestly, how many confirmed hooked, and how many landed on a full day trip?

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Anywhere from zero to 81, depending on what the guide provided for lunch.

3. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

summer or winter?

4. 2LazyH

2LazyH New Member

When ever, where ever in Washington.

5. Jeff Lyons

Jeff Lyons New Member

Media:
    Steelhead fishing isn't a numbers game, even when you hire a guide. That being said, if the conditions are good, and you are competent with a rod and reel, you can probably expect to hook a fish or two, and if your lucky, you might even land one. Obviously some days will be better and some worse, but if your expecting to catch a bunch of fish, stick with trout.

If your fishing some of the eastside rivers during september/october you might hook a few more fish per day, but they will be smaller on average. If your fishing westside rivers during the winter, numbers can fluctuate widely with water conditions.

6. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

anywhere from zero to 15 landed and anywhere from zero to 25 takes.

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Building on Jeff's reply, don't be surprised at all if you do get skunked.

8. Sageman

Sageman Member

Completely depends on time of year, your skill level, and the body of water. If you fish the Skykomish with the fly rod on a cold December day you'll probably be doing well to hook one. If you float the Grand Ronde in October in a year when the run is strong and river is in good condition, you may hook 20 fish or more.

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    One should not expect to hook up while fishing winter runs on Puget Sound rivers. One should expect their guide to provide more than a hook up and that is why most successful guides give you good amount of information on the river system, its habitats, ecology, wildlife, fish, its history, and its future if any. Also good guides should/will be good instructors that can give you instruction on things like casting, reading water, fly tying, etc.

10. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Spend your time learning, not worrying about hooking up. Guides are limited both by the environment (conditions, run size, etc) as well as the skill of the person angling. If you can't throw a double haul, learn it. If you can't cast spey well, hit your guide up to make it better. Can't read good water? Watch where they put you. Fly fishing steelhead guiding is more about teaching people how and where to fish more than it is about catching fish. More often than not, they will put themselves out of business with astute customers... :)

11. ToddK

ToddK Member

Plan on zero and hope for one. Sorry man but, that's the reality.

Let's go fishin!

12. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    dont take up fishing for steel if are at all concerned about catching...cause as it is said already...it isnt a sport or a portion of our sport that lends itself to catching numbers

If you are ok with

1. Catching nothing
    2. Freezing your balls off
    3. Realizing fleece is quite possibly the greatest invention ever
    4. breaking ice out of your guides every other cast
    5. not stabbing yourself in the neck when you loose a fish
    6. cast, mend, swing, repeat...all day

then your ready to rock. Good days do come, but even harnessing a steelface once in a day will turn your world upside down

13. ZigZag

ZigZag Member

Media:
    portland oregon, Chico California, Tahoe, Reno NV.
    Have you fly fished for steel very much? I would spend alot of time on your own fishing for steel, learning as you go. Then when you feel you have a clear understanding of the challenge, hire a guide and hope for the best. If you dont live in steelhead country and have limited time to pursue the grey ghost, hire a guide on a productive summer run river and cross your fingers. :confused:Im a rookie...

14. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

I'd do it the other way around. . .if you haven't fished steel much, hire a guide early in your career, then spend bookoo time on your own applying what you learned. Kind of wish I'd have done more of that in my early years. . .would cut my learning curve a little. . .but it's still rewarding figuring out a lot of stuff on my own and flailing around a bit,

fb

15. ZigZag

ZigZag Member

Media:
    Yes this may be the way to go. I just have a hard time spending 250-400$ with high expectations and going home empty handed. I say that loosely cuz I know alot about going home empty handed. Any steelheader should. A guide will most likley include a float, which will put you on water you could never reach by foot. That alone brings your odds way up. I dont think reading water for steel is that hard. IMHO. getting to that water is the hard part.

16. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    Geeze 81! Care to stretch that story out a bit:eek:

True not a numbers game. We all hope to hook up, but the reality is that many get skunked. I think about hiring a guide like paying for a consultant, try to get every ounce of information (hands on) that I can get for your money. I bet we all miss a lot of education because we are too distracted by hoping for the tug.

I crave the information, but I actually hate fishing with the guide. I love steelheading for the meditative peace. and it is too distracting fishing and trying to talk to the guide.

I wonder what I could learn from a guide if I spent the time never touching the rod?

Joe

17. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    How many flies at a picnic?

18. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Personally, after flying in from S. Cal tomorrow for the Hoh event, I'm just hoping for a "tug". It can't be about the money in my opinion. It's about the experience (for me anyway).

19. PT

PT Physhicist

Do you have a seat in someone's boat for the weekend? If not let me know.

20. ZigZag

ZigZag Member

Media:
    I just watched Drift so forgive me "Good steelhead fishing can be defined as fishing great water well, thats all you can expect from the sport." John Hazel. IMHO I would prefer to show up on guide day, ready for the challenge. I want to have my guide put me on the tough water and let me fish.