How many steelhead on a guided trip?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by 2LazyH, Mar 25, 2009.

1. All I can say is it ain't trout fishing, and especially not like the trout fishing I experienced for the 12 years I lived in Montana. It is steelhead fishing and fishing for them is not at all like trout fishing. So you may fish for a week with a guide and not have so much as a pull, and the guy that fishes the very next day after you leave might hook and land 3 or 4 of them. Many of the best steelhead fly fishers over the years have written about going weeks and sometimes months without a pull. In other words, your question doesn't make sense to any of us who fish for steelhead most of the time.

2. having few fish in the river can make it tough for beginners. How can you know you're doing things right if the fish aren't there, letting you know you're doing it right?
    Therefore I suggest you fish with more experienced guys. Buy the food, pay for the gas, and be grateful to do it.

3. These kind of questions annoy the shit out of me. Trout or steelhead, a guide can't guarantee fish-- In particular steelhead. Guides are there to offer insight, advice, and direction-- in terms of where to cast and when. If the fishing sucks, it sucks. That's no fault of the guide. If the experience sucks, you may want to look at your unrealistic expectations. A guide’s primary job is to provide you with a quality of experience, not #'s of fish.

I just paid many hundreds of dollars to have a guide drift me down a river I'm unable to navigate. The guide had no advice to offer in terms of, "You're doing this right and this wrong," but was cool as shit and could row what I couldn't. I caught no fish, but consider the money spent, and the trip well worth the money.

4. There is no number. If you have to catch fish for it to be worth the trip, make sure you are taking that trip to the fish market.

5. Are you serious? Have you ever fished for steelhead?

6. Great point, whether it be steelhead fishing or big game hunting, success rates are dependent on a multitude of factors including angler skill, guide experience, the abundance/dearth of the quarry, etc. Not something that one can quantify with any degree of reliability as one would with business metrics like click through rates, coupon redemption rates, you name it.

7. I spent a day last week on a local PDX fishery with a very good guide that knows every rock, seam and bucket in the system. With 50+ days on that river since the new year he had brought 15 fish to the boat. I was lucky enough to bring in # 16. Catching fish was the last thing on my mind when booking the trip. Having the input of a guy who spends 4-5 days a week on the river under all sorts of conditions is the reason for booking the trip.

8. Thank you all for your feedback on my question, I appreciate the comments. I have done some steelhead fishing both in Idaho and in some tributaries to Lake Erie (without a guide) with success. I do understand the role of a guide for I have been guiding fly fishing for the last 11 years and big game hunting. I have hired guides in New Zealand and in Islamorada.

ZIG ZAG...I have yet to see the film "Drift" but I loved the quote you posted from it, that sums it up.

Thanks Again!

9. If I get a call for a trip and the first question is how many fish am I going to catch,then I usually tell them they called the wrong number.Then I send them to some one I don't like.( Some of you know who that is) MK

10. Have fun :) The OP fishing experience is nothing like those eastern US streams or Idaho! :)

11. Mike doesn't guarantee fish, but he pretty much guarantees a good time. I read that in a mens room stall in Oso... .;) :) :) :)

12. i think people are being a bit hard on the original poster. have you guys gone and looked at guide reports being posted on the web from fly-fishing guides on the OP? go do it, and come back and say that someone coming from out of state shouldn't get the idea that it's realistic to catch steelhead on a fly every day out there.

i agree with posts like panhandle's and others saying one should have low expectations for catching fish... but if you read the reports in preparation for a trip, ask yourself what you would think if you had never winter steelhead fished or been to the OP before.

13. Tis true, tis pity.
    Tis pity tis true.

14. Of course we all have expectations. It just depends on what those expectations *are*.

I went out with Jeff Brazda last month. I can't recommend him enough.

My expectations were to float a beautiful river, and learn from an experienced fisherman.

I had a GREAT time.

The boat trip alone was worth the cost.

The fly fishing INSTRUCTION that I received was worth twice the price. I upped my skill level, and picked up tips and tricks that I can use for the rest of my life.

Jeff's a great guy, and it was a pleasure to meet him.

And in the process, I had 4 hookups, and landed 3.

Worth the price? You bet.

Anytime you are checking out water in an area you aren't familiar with, I highly recommend a guide if you can afford it. You figure out the water from someone who KNOWS it. You fish the good spots, and don't waste your time on the bad spots. You'll learn about the region a lot more than you would have otherwise. The next day in that area, you'll have a much better time fishing on your own than you would have had on day 2 if you were trying to figure it out on your own.

And guides tend to be great people. They love to fish, and do it for a living. Hell, I'll hang out with THOSE people any day.

- Michael

15. I'm looking to get into fly fishing for the first time in my life (I'm 41), but I've fished steelhead with gear for many years. I've come to the conclusion that it's a complete and utter crap shoot, no matter who you hire.

For those of you who also gear fish, lets see a show of hands. How many of you have planned, geared, and guided an entire trip, only to be out fished by your spouse or children? Yea, I thought so. Me too.

When I was a teenager, we went steelheading with a group of my Dad's friends; all of whom knew what they were doing. I caught a 15lb steelie while all but 1 other person was skunked. The ironic thing is that I had no clew what I was doing. I was jerking the spoon around, over casting, and I over set the hook.

Moral of the story? Luck counts.

16. Puts me in mind of an article that appeared in Hunting and Fishing News many years ago. A fellow took his wife on a guided steelhead trip (her first) on the Sauk (back when there weren't many guides and there were still a lot of steelhead). At the end of the day the husband had been skunked and his wife had killed two steelhead, a nineteen- and a twenty-one pounder. Wife's comment? "What's so hard about this?"