How much lass crowded is the penisula vs the S rivers?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by daveypetey, Dec 14, 2012.

1. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Just wondering if it's really worth the drive for me as I have few and far between days off. Not looking for secret spots. Just in general. :confused:

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. Ahsmo

Ahsmo New Member

I usually fish the OP rivers. I fished the Cowlitz last weekend and it was "un-crowded" and I felt like I had never fished next to so many people in my life.

3. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Interesting. I actually like the crowded fishing from a story telling standpoint as I am only here for a year, but it would be fun to get some cliche'd orvis'esque days in as well.

4. jason.allen

jason.allen Member

I would say they are equally crowded. I was on the Bogey Monday and Tuesday and there were quite a few people and that was even a weekday. You can get away from crowds if you have a boat but most of the spots with access will be lined up with people fishing the bank.

5. skokomish fly

skokomish fly New Member

Super crowded out there. Due to the terrible fishing on the S river and most others in western washington. That and a lack of hatchery fish on the bogie, calawah, duc and hoh equals tough fishing and not the Orvis esque fishing experience you are looking for. The quinalt hatchery had the same ihn disease as the bogie fish so the hoh will not see many hatchery fish as well including other nearby fisheries.

6. Befishin

Befishin Member

The OP has fish, but its a hike. It's two hours for me and I don't go very often. I've got a few secret spots with no one around. But very few.

7. S rivers have fished very poor for me this season. Only a handful of salmon landed this year

8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

My one time out on the OP, I had some spots on the Calawah and Sol Duc to myself. No one around. This was right around the end of December. I remember the rivers were a bit high (at least that's what people told me). Regardless, they seemed very fishable to me, and I hooked my first (and so far only) steelhead out there.

With that said, the last several times I've fished the Sky, I've been able to find runs all to myself. Maybe they are empty because they aren't productive runs. Or maybe I've just been lucky and found a few spots that take a bit more effort.

J

9. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

chance of hooking up on an S river with the bug rod are slim. unless you go often.
    gets better if you toss eggs or shrimp, side drifting.
    there is a reason the Cowlitz and OP rivers have lots of folks on them. they got fish !

10. I don't even swing the sky hardly. Egg patterns and big nasty's dead drifted has been what's working for me. Although the one Steele this year hooked into was on a swing near the wallace and sky convergence

11. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

With the IHN on the Peninsula and seemingly low (or late?) PS hatchery returns this year, if I had a few days, I might head to the south coast or perhaps fish a Chehalis trib.

12. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I think the S rivers are less crowded.
    The Bogie is more crowded than any local hatchery zone. It's also the only Forks-area river to get hatchery plants for this year so it's worse now. And the bank access below the hatchery sucks. For hatchery steelhead, the S rivers have better bank access.
    If you're looking for wild fish you can spread out, but with the decline of wild S river steelhead everyone goes to Forks after the hatchery fisheries are done.

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I cringe when I read what you folks go through to get a bit of beach. One of the beauties of living in So Oregon an empty beach is more the norm than the exception. A major part of that is the your three Sound touching Counties have a greater population than the entire State of Oregon. And 2/3'rds of those live within 100 miles of down town Portland.

14. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I also think the management of the fish is different. Do you have netting on your streams (other than the Colombian)?

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Answer to that is a cross the board 'No.' As for the Columbia, or rather our side, the use of gill nets is now band. Commercial's can still use purse seine type nets, but that would be interesting to watch given the flow of the river. Talk is Washington may soon follow suit.

At least with that type of net you can do a 'catch and release.' No such with gill nets ... everythings dead when you pull it up.

16. Jamie Wilson

I have not fished in Oregon for steelhead. Have in Washington for a long time. My feeling - with zero solid evidence - is that the westside fishing in Oregon is waaaaay better than in Wa. I could be wrong but I don't believe so.
    Puget Sound fishing has become difficult at best - and it is very sad!

17. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

checking the hatchery returns shows the Tokul creek numbers are much higher than the sky,stilly or skagit.
    course thats for hatchery brats.
    Fred, how is the fishing been down your way?

18. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    I guess my question is why netting is allowed here in WA?

19. Jamie Wilson

Whole nother story

20. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    i much rather fish the OP. there are mot as many people and lots of rivers to hit. also i have flies that have been very productive on the Op if you would like to see them. they are swing flies.