How much lass crowded is the penisula vs the S rivers?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by daveypetey, Dec 14, 2012.

1. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I would have to question how "wild" those wild stocks are? It would be interesting to know..

BDD it might be a good idea if everyone sitting on your board spend some serious time over there...Such a beautiful place and it's getting raped...IMHO...
  2. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +197 / 2
    Guiding is in my opinion the rawest form of commercial fishing and the last time I checked, the sale of non-treaty steelhead was illegal in Washington wild or not. Therefore, I technically see no difference between a steelhead guide "selling" his/her catch to the clients and the simple fact of them paying their guide license fee to WDFW does not give them the right to be responsible for killing more wild steelhead for their clients.

Sure, I'd love to see a statewide release of wild steelhead but that was tried and it failed. Most of us know that history. Hopefully it can be re-enacted but in the meantime, lets try something else. By restricting guides from killing more than one wild steelhead per year for their clients, just like any other licensed angler will further limit the number of wild steelhead killed and will be a small step in reducing angler pressure on the OP while we figure out how to stop intentionally killing wild steelhead completely.
    Evan Burck likes this.
  3. coastal cutthroat Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    What do you mean it was tried and it failed? Did the wild fish not benefit? How long was it tried? I'm relatively new to WA and I don't really know what you are talking about.

My understanding is that wild fish are C&R throughout WA EXCEPT for the OP; and that makes sense because . . . ?

We need C&R for wild fish on the peninsula; how can we get this done?
  4. skokomish fly New Member

Your moms house
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    BDD means the state tried to go to mandatory statewide wild steelhead release but the public, mainly guides and businesses on the olympic peninsula opposed it and got the proposal shot down. Seems to me the mayor of Forks was even involved.
  5. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    The mayor was involved - her stance was that the kill fishery was needed to maintain the interest in fishers coming to forks. I don't support a wild fish kill - but I am sympathetic to locals in Forks who have had a lot of adjustment to do over the years on how they support themselves. Goes beyond the fishing - way back to logging restrictions as well.
  6. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    Fred, you may rue the day you made this post. There's a bow wave of baby-boomers in retirement years now and are looking around for the last few good places to hang their hats. No sales tax on fishing stuff and uncrowded rivers aren't usually in the "cons" column :).
  7. skokomish fly New Member

Your moms house
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Word! I think everyone should move to Oregon. I hear the rivers are full of giant steelhead and devoid of anglers. Did I mention thousands of giant steelhead!
    freestoneangler likes this.
  8. danimal Inglorious Twohander

michiana,SW lk mich
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Then everyone on this board should consider it their duty to call-or email- the mayors office in Forks and inform them that WE(as a collective) will not be heading out to forks to fish,spent money on food,lodging,fuel,cheap booze,,until she changes her voice on the matter regarding WILD FISH!!

Bet that will put her pantys in a wad:eek:

Last time I was on the Pen- I watched two guides in two days kill fish for their clients on da HOH.
    Really stomach wrenching stuff right there:mad:
  9. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Easy to say from MI!!
    I do not support a kill fishery on OP wild steelhead. Some of the Forks locals have been kicked to the curb over the last 15 - 20 years when you include their logging restrictions.
    What's that vampire thing they have now??
    Empathy can be a good thing.
    Merry Christmas
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  10. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +411 / 0
    Good luck finding a job in southern Oregon!!
  11. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    fishing guide??
    the pay's shitty
  12. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Well, that would not have been the guide I floated with a week ago. He told us a story where a client got rather testy about not being able to keep a fish even though it was made crystal clear that was not an option. This is one guide I will call for future floats... need more like him!
  13. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Nothing wrong with naming them IMO
  14. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Thing is...they don't give a shit and would probably rather not have fly fishers up on their rivers anyways. The poaching will always happen, not gonna break that mindset. It should start with the guides, who need to realize that those fish are worth way more when they're alive and still in the river river, than the cost of one guide trip with dead fish for client.

That and the state needs to tighten up on guide licenses. Insured, no out of state bullshit. The Montana contingent needs to stop whoring this out with a trout mindset during their off season.
  15. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Are there honestly that many MT guides that leave the freeze-up for wet, cold, near fish-less rivers of WA? Most I know spend off seasons guiding close to the equator.
  16. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +721 / 0
    There are only four guides total that don't kill fish out there.
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    I believe there are more than four guides that will not harvest wild fish.
  18. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,596 / 2
    I can personally name more than four.
  19. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +721 / 0
    According to two reputable sources - there's a lot of guys that SAY they won't - but when they have a bitching client the club swings. I personally hope there are more than four - but that's the number I've heard.

In any event - the law will have to change before the vast majority of guides stop.
  20. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    No good reason not to do so IMO. Make every river in the state, no bait, single barbless, C&R and be done with it. Works for both hardware and fly-fisherman alike. Let's face it, we're not likely going to see numbers allowing harvest to return anytime soon and, if it is going to happen, we need policy like this to have any hope.