How to cast by multi-tip line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tac, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Tac

Tac New Member

I am a novice fly angler.
    Recently I bought a multi-tip line for steelhead. It seemed to be nice.
    The lines has a knot of loop at one terminal. The it is easy to change the tip to diffrent sinkings or floating tips.

I tried to cast with it at real river and found it is a bit hard to cast.
    Because the line has some lines, floating + sinking + leader + tipett.

The main problem is a knot between floating and sinking lines by loop-and loop knot. It occures some resistance to guide, not smooth, then it is harder to cast than one sinking line without knot.

Give me some advice.

Thanks,
    Tac

2. ChucknDuck

ChucknDuck New Member

Welcome to the world of factory loop conections. I have several Rio Versi-Tips and find that the loops hang up in the tip constantly. For close in fishing they are not the most pleasant thing to deal with unfortunately. Something they don't tell you when you are purchasing.

For anyone looking to purchase a multi tip type of line there is an ad on the virtual flyshop's classified section for Cortalnd Quad and Tri tips from 7 wt. to Spey lines for $48. FYI

Go Cougars!!

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tac,

You don't say whether you are casting a two or single hander. If you are casting a single hander. Try stripping the line up to where your connection is still outside the tip or maybe even leave more line out. You will need to adjust the amount of line you leave out of the rod tip to find what works for your rod and casting style. Roll cast the line 90 degrees directly in front of you then, with one back cast, haul and shoot your line on the forward cast.

KLS

4. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I just got a AirFlo Multitip line for steelhead fishing, and I really enjoy it. The tip sections on this line are 12', and the loop serves as the marker for how much I should retrieve before I make my backcast. Other than when I thread the line through the guides, the loops are not in them.

I have used the color gradient between the sinking portion and the floating portion of a sink tip to guide my starting my backcast prior to getting the multitip. Now, its exciting, as I have the same marker on all my "lines"!

This is one nice line, and AirFlo seems to have done a really good job of designing it. The loops don't hinge, and the line is warranteed for 5 years against cracking. Not to mention, but its $10-40 cheaper than competitors.

Rob :pROFESSOR

5. Tac

Tac New Member

AD: How to cast by multi-tip line

I should add some information on my level and also send another question. I have a 9 feet mid-fast rod(#8)- single hander, and WF8 line.
    I have read some books, "fly-casting(L.L.Bean)", "fly-fishing guide(Orvis)", and "the complete book of trout flyfishing". Then I mastered also the roll and double haul castings at near park.

So my casting level is so so, I think.
    About line and fly, I use AirFlo multi-tip line(WF8) + Leader(9 1/2, 10lb, 2x-.009) , and wet or streamer flies. The tip of multi is sinking(maybe 9 feet). I did not do any adjustment of line length. So sinking + leader has almost 18 feet. My previous question is how to cast with a loop-to-loop connection between floating line to the sinking line. To me, this connection part of lines makes unsmoothness while casting. So single FS8 or S8 seems to be better than the multi-tip line. I think my casting technique is not good, maybe.

Anothe question:
    As I said I am beginner for fly-fishing, but I am 20-year old for rule fishing.
    I am sure I can read river. And also I have basic knowledge about fly fishing.
    My second question is about controlling the fly itself. After casting, how I should control the fly on the water or under water. For example,
    if I cast with more lighter rod, line,.., and dry fly, I should keep the fly free on the water like real dead fly ? or I should control some actions to the fly ?

The great idea of fly is the imitation of real flies, bugs, small fishes, etc. So I think I should do it like real things. For dry fly I should not add any control, and for wet fly or streamer I should add some actions to fly like a rule fishing. Is that correct?

Tac

6. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:

Tac,

Please check your [link:www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=user&command=inbox|forum inbox]. Thx.

7. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Tac, you ask more questions on how to present a fly than one can reasonably answer in a web site posting. (Ray Helears will probably prove me wrong on that with one of his usual long and inciteful posts.) Although everything in this sport seems to devolve to spending more money, I'd encourage you to either (i) buy a good book on the "how to's" of steelhead flyfishing, or (ii) take a how to class from a guide or hire one for a day and ask him to teach you. My favorite "how to" book is Deke Meyer's Advanced Flyfishing for Steelhead (about $25). As to guides, there are a number of good ones around here. I took a class from Dennis Dickson some time ago and found it very valuable. If you don't want to spend money, check out Dennis' web site at www.flyfishsteelhead.com. He has a number of informative articles on steelhead fishing on his site. There are probably other good guides out there that others on the site could recommend. In fact, I think there's a link to Gordon Gracey's site on this site's home page; can't remember if there's "how to" info but it's got a hell of a lot of good info on steelhead flies (thanks for sharing Gordon!).

8. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Hey! I know I'm a windbag; you don't have to rub it in.

How's this then: If it's dry, let it drift; if it's wet, give it a tug. (Unless that doesn't work; then do the opposite.)

Seriously Tac: It sounds to me like you've got it about figured out, as long as you keep in mind that all the rules have exceptions, depending on species, water type, and conditions. o mykiss is right: a guide will steepen your learning curve and is money well spent, if you've got it. But the only way to figure out all the finer points is experience, and fishing with other anglers. Try joining a club. It's a great way to make friends and learn a lot.

9. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Meant as a compliment, Ray.

Much as I hate to, though (and acknowledging that it may have been tongue in cheek), I have to disagree with your advice on what to do with a dry fly when fishing for steelhead. While it's certainly possible that steelhead will respond to a dead-drifted fly, I believe common wisdom is that the better presentation is to skate or wake it (I think the difference between skating and waking is more in the fly than in what the angler does with it). Basic point, though, is that instead of mending the line to keep the dry fly dead drifting, you actually cast so that your line and leader are laid out straight (or as straight as you can get it), and then let the fly swing across stream so that it creates some turbulence.

10. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Of course you're right. I probably mistakenly thought Tac was switching the subject a little to trout techniques. Sorry if I gave any bum steers just to make a joke. But yes, while I've never done it, steelheaders "wake" their dry flies on a down and across swing. In fact, as I understand it, the basic casting and line-control mechanics in steelheading are about the same wet or dry. It's the line, water-type, and flies that change. Yes?

(BTW: no offense taken. Just trying keep from taking myself too seriously in between bouts of scolding everybody on conservation issues.)

11. Joe

Joe Member

After years of making my own tips by buying shooting heads, cutting them up and adding loops, I recently tried the Rio VersiTip system. Like you I found that the loops hand up in the guides constantly. After the second trip, I cut off the factory loops and added my own. I use 20 pound Cortland Cobra flat monofilament for the loops (I don't know if they make it any more). I just double the line and use a nail knot with the doubled line. The resulting knot is much less bulky than the factory loops, and the doubled monofilament is quite stiff, minimzing the hinge effect. Another benefit of this system is that I can add a loop to the line while fishing in just a minute or two.

12. Tac

Tac New Member

AD2: How to cast by multi-tip line

Hello my teachers,

I have got good advices from my teachers. Then I am so happy.
    In this two month I prepared everthing for fly fishing except experience,
    car, linences, books, map, rod, reel, lines, flies, box, cutter, wader,
    because I am in business trip and staying for a few months in WA.

Actually I have booked a steelhead class of Mr.D on next month.
    I am really looking forward to joining it and touching the spirit of the expert. But I have a bit time before joining the class. So I can't forbear to go to rivers when reading books and browsing web site of FF.

I realize there are so many defferent techniques and tactics for FF.
    But everthing is OK except my few experience. I love nature and I have enthusiasm for the FF. I will have a lot of experience in FF quickly.
    I also believe a beginner's luck helps me.

Sometimes I intend to go to rivers, and watch and steal your techniques. I hope you keep your mind open.

Thanks all,
    Tac