how to lake fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jamesf01, May 4, 2003.

1. jamesf01

jamesf01 New Member

I was fishing in bay lake in a boat as normal cought nothing. Two men came in when I was going out with limits on flys green wooly bugger so I rowed a green wooly nothing fished all after noon nothing. Does any one know how to fish right, how fast, how deep, and how should I troll with a fly. LOST:beathead :dunno :reallymad

2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    what do i know, im just a kid

see stocker trout thread. :thumb

~sean~

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

Well I use a floating line with a 12' leader with a weighted WB on the end I troll very slow and hang on to your rod because the hits are usually hard.. But sometimes you can catch them on a dry. Not every lake is the same.

Jim

4. wet line

wet line New Member

I am going to turn you on to a lake that is really good flyfishing. It is McIntosh just north of Tenino. There is a boat launch on the west side. Do exactly like the Old Man says in his post. I would add that you want about 50 or so feet of line out. A black wooley bugger works well as do careys in green and orange. If you prefer to cast and drift the chrinonimid fishing can be good too. There are nice sized trout, like 14 to 18 inches and bigger ones too. I heaard of an 18 inch brown being caught in there this year which is the only one I have ever heard of. It is deffinately a dry line lake as it is fairly shallow and lots of weeds. The nice thing about McIntosh the fish are late risers and 9 am is plenty early to get on the water. Just before dark can be prime time here in a few weeks when the cadis start to hatch.
    Dave :beer2

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I was doing OK two days last week with a clear intermediate sink tip and 50 feet of line out, slowest trolling motor speed going in large S route swinging in and out along a dropoff or just across the middle of the small (3/4 x 1/4 mile) lake I'm going back to tomorrow. The strikes would often come during a turn or if I imparted a slight jigging action followed by a long pause as I trolled along.
    Used olive-green with black tail, and straight black, weighted #8 wooly buggers, both tied with red thread to have a red head.
    My partner on the second day was using a purple egg-sucking leech, because that was all he had in the leech dept. and I wouldnt give him my last bugger. He had nearly as many strikes as I did.
    Tied up a couple green/black last night and more as soon as I get off this site. I am so-o-o-o slow at tying, being a greenhorn, that if I paid myself minimum wage, the cost per fly would be astronomical!
    :eek Jimbo

6. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Considering that Bay Lake is quite shallow (most of it about 10 ft in depth), you might want to use either a floating line with long leader or an intermediate line. As far as a retrieve from an anchored boat, try stripping in your line between 1 to 6 inches and pausing and stripping. I've read that callibaetis nymphs can jet propel themselves up to 6 inches, so consider that your max stripping length. So, strip, pause, strip, pause, etc... If you are in a float tube, which I do not recommend in Bay Lake as summer approaches (due to the heinous milfoil growth there), try stripping in and allowing your trolling motion to drag your fly line back out to provide the pause. I strongly believe that this action provides both attraction and opportunity for the fish to strike.

Bay Lake has lots of structure--and I seriously mean LOTS. The shoreline has lots of fallen trees and branches. Also, the milfoil beds have deep and open lanes between them. Try the lanes or the edges. For deep water, note the shoreline terrain. Steeper the banks coming down to the shore, deeper the adjacent water. If the sun is high, either fish the shade or go deep. One thing, though. If you fish the shoreline, you will be in spiny ray fish territory. One sunny June day, I pounded the shoreline shade and under branches with a green popper fly. It was phat fun having the bass smash my offering within 2 seconds of landing. It was so good, I had to stop and try the weird stuff in my fly boxes to find out what else might work.