How to (not to) piss off someone steelhead fishing

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ChrisC, Nov 30, 2009.

1. pmjasper

pmjasper Member

That was three years ago and the Salmon River was incredibly low...thus having a majority of fish holding up in deep pools. I watch salmon move out of the way of 4lb mono and tiny egg patterns that trip. For my wife, father-in-law and I the trip turned basically into a sight seeing trip, as too many salmon-crazy anglers were doing anything to catch or snag a salmon. No point in being subjected to some of the A-holes that were on the river then. In that great hole I identified above, one very intoxicated angler (8a.m.) preceded to yell, "Anyone who wants to fight can come over here and I'll kick your arse". he was pretty big so everyone ignored him but the craziness I saw on the Salmon River those few days was almost enough to make you stop fishing. You are right, it was gruesome to say the least.

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Those guys are just being dumb... The rules are different between the gear and fly guys, and to expect gear guys to "understand" fly fishing rules is just dumb. In general gear guys are *way* easier to deal with cause the tend to post up on a single spot... Fish down to them, ask it's okay to go a bit downstream, continue fishing....

The only folks that really piss me off are the sledders and drift boat guys who fish through runs on rivers with limited bank access. I mean seriously, you can access *miles* of river that bankies can't hit, and you feel it's required to beat on the only water they can get too?

3. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    some fly guys in boats aren't much better. Case in point, Sunday on the Skagit, a couple of fellows and i walked down to a run to fish and there was a boat there with a couple of dudes eating lunch. I popped out of the brush and got the "Ummm, we are about to swing this run", to which i replied "the whole run, do you mind if we work in?"...mind you this run could be worked by 10 guys for 2-3 hours no problem as it is a huge run... To which i got the response, "Sorry, there is not much swinging water on this river." !!!! ummmm ok. so we left.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Eric,

On the edge of a grey area there. Eating lunch is not occupying a run. However, resting a run could be, and eating lunch while resting the water isn't uncommon strategy. Seems like the situation was open to negotiation. The run was technically unoccupied, you guys were bankies, they had a boat. And saying there isn't much swinging water on the Skagit is bullshit. That's the sort of remark that would send me to the head of the run and begin fishing.

My guess is they thought they'd see if they could bluff you out of that piece of water, and it worked. Food for thought.

Sg

5. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    yeah, i wanted to ask them if they knew what river they were on.

Them being in a boat and then spouting off some bullshit about no water to swing really pissed me off though. They obviously had access to tons of good water while us bankies had relatively little (i know there is a lot of access to walk in on the skagit, but relative to floating it is little) and then they dont even want to let us fish the top or bottom or work through after them.... just kind of bush league.

6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    To which i got the response, "Sorry, there is not much swinging water on this river." !!!! ummmm ok. so we left.

Commedians. Probably practicing for their Saturday night show.

Go Sox,
    cds

7. inland

inland Active Member

Eric,

You don't have to ask permission to follow. It isn't their option it is yours. Just let them know your plans of following. If they were just about ready to get back to fishing no worries. Wait and give them room. A lot of room on the big river. No need to get into a foot race to see who gets their toe in the water first. If they had other plans (resting it or finishing up lunch or whatever) they should have graciously offered the run. Common courtesy.

I agree with salmo on this...their behavior would have caused me to instantly walk to the river and started fishing. They were asking for confrontation and I would have obliged.

William

8. Ray

Ray Active Member

(Not directed at anyone, but prompted by the above posts)

When I steelhead fish from a drift boat (which is most of the time), I like to fish every bit of fishable water not already occupied or being fished by someone else. I adjust my tactics so as to not impede or interfere with their fishing. I'll give any fisherman space, but I refuse to pass up water just because somebody else intends to fish it "in the next few hours."

The concept of needing to fish virgin water is crap. I don't know how many times I've picked up fish in water that has been flogged for hours by somebody else. I understand the desire to fish away from the crowds, but expecting to have large portions of river to yourself is a bit far fetched.

9. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Eric...Thanks for bringing that up. I could understand the person in the DB wanting to work the run first IF it was small run and IF there truly wasn't that much swinging water. I would have happily shared that piece of water if it was me in the DB. You could definitely feel the tension rise though after their statement, as if they were inviting the confrontation. I think we did the good thing by just leaving, as I don't like to fish with someone breathing down my neck. I'm an easy going guy, and have shared much, much smaller water, even letting folks step in below me if they ask. It's all about enjoying one's time on the water, and it helps everyone when some courtesy is shown.

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Nice concept that probably works most of the time, but still seems like there are too many variables. At least too many to get mad at folks for not following the rules. I can't count how many times I've gone fishing as a way to deal with a particularly stressful day. Just hit the water for a few hours. During those times I pretty much camped out, just lost in my thoughts and peace. I sure the hell wouldn't appreciate some douche yelling at me from the bottom of the run because I wasn't following his protocol.

11. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Greg Price,

I've fished many rivers and places where this fishing through was practiced by nearly everyone. I've fished runs on the Sol Duc, Queets, and upper Hoh where gear, spin, and fly guys all fished through the run and all had an enjoyable time on the river and some fish were caught too. I've fished the NF Stilly many times on a summer weekend where there was a line-up (i.e. people waiting their turn to start at the top and fish through) and not a person got angry at having to wait, everyone got along, and people even talked to each other in a very pleasant manner while waiting their turn.

I've experienced it on the Wenatchee, including this fall including sharing a run with a fellow fishing spoons and another one fishing yarn on a gear rod and my adult son and I fishing a 2-hander with a fly. I've seen this on the Sauk/Skagit as well, including with folks fishing with gear equipment. Interestingly, the gear guys, spin guys, and fly guys all got along with one another and all had a good time simply by each one fishing through.

Ahhhh, if only everyone steelhead fishing fished through.[/QUOTE]

EI,

Thanks for the encouragement. I had no idea anyone practices the "fishing through" method on Washington waters. It sounds like a pleasant way to fish in a crowd.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Inland,

I'd sorta' expect you to oblige. You're one of the biggest guys on the river.

Ray,

You mention an interesting point. I like to fish all the fishable water that I can, that is not occupied by or being fished by another angler. How much water is another angler entitled to have to himself when you happen by?

Sg

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last time we fished together we past up a lot of water when we saw people there. When in a sled it makes it easy. Just head up to the next run. If I remember right most of um weren't fishing but just standing around thinking about fishing. Fools.:cool:

14. Ray

Ray Active Member

As a rule of thumb, about 1.5 x their casting distance out into the river, and 2.5 x their casting distance below. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the how they are fishing and the type of water they can cover using that method. I try to keep up a friendly conversation.

The funny thing is, I get more dirty looks from flyfishermen than gear guys. I think not catching fish when others are makes them angry.

15. Laslow

Laslow stuck in the shop

Home Page:
    Well, I had an experience on the weekend. We walked in approx 30 min to a nice run we enjoy to fish. The fog was just lifting and we noticed a boat approaching us. He decided that the tailout was a great spot to set anchor and allow his clients to fish. We were fishing the head and middle of the run swinging our way down to the tailout.

I was shocked to see that he was a local guide and he had no problems fishing below us.

I'm originally from the east coast and if this happened while Salmon fishing his boat would have been diflated within seconds

Jay

16. Ray

Ray Active Member

So you and your partner had 2/3 of a run to yourselves and that wasn't enough?

17. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Kerry,

As poor as the Skagit fished last year, I can't blame them all.

Ray,

I have a boat, I also bank fish. When in my boat or on the bank I never come in below another angler. That would be a resounding never. You do what you want.

If I were in a boat with someone who fished below another angler on the same run I would ask out of the boat and fish alone. That's how I do it.

On my local stream it happens all the time. Usually the sledders will give you about 2X your casting length. I think it's poor form, but never say anything. My rule of thumb is that if you can have a conversation with someone on the bank from the boat, your far too close and certainly should not be fishing. If someone is fishing left bank, look at the other bank, you may find a new piece of water, and never ever low hole.

I'm not saying you have to do it my way, just that I think my way is more kind. If I didn't think that I'd do it another way.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

18. oldskool

oldskool Guest

19. smc

smc Active Member

Media:
    Olkskool - check post #34 on page 3 of this thread. :cool:

20. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

If I saw someone halfway through the run, my expectation is that he is planning to swing through to the tailout. Tailouts for that matter can be as good and often are better than the upper and middle parts of a run (depending on water conditions).