How was the weakend?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Bob Rankin, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Any reports from the weakend? The weather was sure nice over here. How was Lenice? Is it still hot or slowing down? I was Mr. mom over the weakend, I went to A local lake with my girls and the Radio Flyer wagon to pick up trash. I think keystone ice is the beer of choice at the local lakes. If I had a dollar for every beer can i picked up I could probubly get A keg. I wish people would pick up there own trash! But I like to do it and it's A good thing for my girls to learn,and they enjoy it allso.Good fishin all!

Bob
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,536 / 0
    No fishing for me this weekend. I spent most of my time working on a barbecue with one inop burner and mowing the lawn... lots of fun.
  3. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +201 / 0
    Bob:

Thanks for the clean up. I do that at a local bait lake, amazing what they leave behind. Also make sure you pick up the discarded fishing line, which I am sure you do - can be a real critter trp, especially for birds.

MB
  4. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,034 / 0
    .....46 years of marriage and no complaints about a weak end--yet!

Ive
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,603 / 2
    I see what you did there
  6. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    I guess I wasn't the only one not fishing. Gene sorry about the BBQ and yard work, fishing is much better. Scott its nice to help people that can't seem to pick up after themselves, good for you.The lake my girls and I cleand up on saterday I think I will fish this afternoon. Mr. Burck congrats, 46 years is a long time, thats something to be proud of theese days. I've been maried 14 years and not one regret!
  7. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,603 / 2
    Today I learned that I've been married 16yrs longer than I've been alive. Who's impressed with me now? :cool:
  8. Theron Active Member

Near Coupeville, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    Mowing the lawn??? I've got 6 inches of fresh snow on mine!
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,536 / 0
    That's the problem with living in this part of the world... the grass grows all year around. Snow is an oddity in these parts. The bulb type flowers are all starting to bloom.

However, I am not one of the lawn wackos in my neighborhood who mows their lawn the year around. I feel like leaving them a note to knock it off when they mow their lawns in December.... it makes the rest of us look lazy.
    rankin76 likes this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +957 / 1
    This is sad. I realize marriage feels like it's for ever....but I've never heard it described as longer than for ever.:(
  11. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +224 / 0
    Ran down to the Cowlitz River for a few hours this morning.. No luck.. Not even trout hit my patterns.. A sled told me they had one on earlier in the morning but I didn't see anything...
  12. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    Kudos to you & the Kids, Bob. I spent the weekend in the yard, then cleaning barbeques, then dirtying them on Sunday . . . but the smoked venison was delightful!
    rankin76 likes this.
  13. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    I fished a B lake off Dodson road and I can tell you that it is likely that every living thing with the exception of one floating blood worm is dead in that lake, zip zilch zero nada nothing. No signs of life, and others on the lake experienced the same. I gave it two hours before moving on to Quincy. Ahhh, the power of the internet! Two, or was it three years ago I fished Quincy with troutpocket and there was not another fly fisherman on the lake, last year a few more showed up and then Kapoom! That lake on the opener was loaded with fly guys and this last weekend was no different. Dang fly guys always know the better places to anchor, but to be honest I still nailed fish and it is nice to see fly guys on a lake like that because I know it is great for the sport to show the bait and gear crowd how effective fly fishing can be. At one point pocket and I sat in an area and probably boated 20 fish or so with 4 bait guys near by together landing only one. Those people will look into the idea of fly fishing after that showing. In the end we put about 50 fish in the boat with the largest around 19" but most were about 12", the fish that were put in as catchables in october (good growth rate). I'd like to say that chironomids/indicator fishing worked best but I think I might have been about even with my Aqualux and a maroon leech as I was with the indicator.

The next day we headed into Lenice and with some adjustment I managed to make my new dolly work great on my Stillwater Hopper II. We brought in my electric trolling motor and my depth finder and we trolled the lake looking for channels and shoals. We managed to find a nice nondescript channel on the west end and we anchored up on first the west end, then the south side and finally the northwestern side of it and although we found fish all along in there the edge of the northwestern side produced the best. I think that the shoal that extends up from that side is larger than on the south side. We did pick up four fish trolling and one casting and stripping leeches, but all our other fish wiggled indicators. I think we ended up with somewhere around 40 to the boat for the day. The most productive fly was a black and red. The fish fought hard, but to be honest with you the smaller 10-14" fish fought better than the upper age class 17-18" fish with only one exception. I'd say that about 2/3 of the fish were on the smaller side and only one of the fish landed taped out at an honest 20" No tigers or browns only rainbows.
  14. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    It's interesting how the boat you use changes your perspective on the size of a lake. I'd never fished Lenice in anything bigger than my watermaster. It was very cool to be able to really work on covering water and check out little nooks and cranny's along the way.

Lesson learned this weekend: boat dollys are designed to roll in one direction; pivoting in the sand is bad. I torqued one of the wheels about 1" out of true in about one second.

Here's a pic of the typical fish from Sunday and the next size class up.

LeniceDouble.JPG Q2032013.JPG
    Irafly and Mark Kraniger like this.
  15. robl Member

Richland WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Great to hear a report.

I'm still sour about not putting browns and tigers in Lenice.

I'll probably never heal from it. Scars, just scars.
  16. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ira nice report.Glad to see someone was fishing. I hit a local stocker lake today,with some luck indicator fishing.But Just when I think I have it dial'd in the fish turn on me. I could see what depth they were at but just couldn't figure out what they were eating. Try and try again I guess.
  17. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +957 / 1
    You think those fly fishers are honing their scouting abilities???
  18. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    Yes, their internet scouting abilities!
    Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  19. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Well Bill, I guess I got my answer on the B Lake.
  20. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +201 / 0
    Ira:

I was just talking to a buddy yesterday about that B lake. I found the same thing a couple of years ago, fished hard for a bit with nada. Too bad, I remember one banner year where is pulled (2) 26" fish out of that place. Also had stellar days.

Thanks for the report.

MB