How's the yakima fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by M00se456, Oct 30, 2001.

1. M00se456

M00se456 New Member

Im thinking of heading up to the Yakima this weekend and im wondering how it is fishing. Has anyone been there recently, and what flies worked well. I am thinking of trying it in cle elum, i have never fished it there. Is it as good as the canyon section. Thanks for the info everyone.

2. Vic_sea

Vic_sea New Member

Yakima extremely low now. My favourite spots in upper canyon was out of water and I switched to lower canyon section near Hwy 821.
    No surface action. Hooked 2 rainbows on hare's ear nymph

3. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

I had a great day in the lower canyon this past Saturday the 27th. It was cloudy and cool, and there was a very steady Baetis hatch from around 11:30 to 3 or so. There was very, very active surface feeding on emergers and duns. I hooked fish on pheasant tail nymphs just under the film, a variety of small emergers and on BWO duns later in the hatch. One of my better days on the yak. Hooked 15-20 fish.

4. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

A co-worker told me today she fished the Yak (not sure where, but am guessing it was the canyon) over the weekend. Got into a BWO hatch and over a 2 - 3 hour period caught 15-20 fish, in the 12" - 18" range, on dries.