How's your Fly Shop doing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steelie Mike, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

How's you Fly Shop doing?

Before H&H closed they had a very hot girl (Kate) who sold fly gear like you have never seen! (The fact that she was a hell of a fisher and always remembered your name didn't hurt) She is now guided in Alaska and still doing well in the fly fishing game. Rick

2. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

I do a pretty good job of supporting creekside in issaquah. They treat me very well and in return they get all my business. I hope they dont have to close their doors. Keep my fingers crossed I guess. This economy sucks right now. It's pretty sad to see local shops close their doors because they cant compete with the big boys. Nothing can replace the personal relationship you get when you have been going to the same store for years. Brett if you read this keep up the good work.

3. How's you Fly Shop doing?

there is very little reason to go into most fly shops anymore. I find that most of the owners do not know how to treat customers well and that they want to charge more for less service. I havent been in a local fly shop in over a year and dont see myself going anytime soon. When i get the chance I do go see the guys at PSFC but thats because i like them personally and they are good guys.

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Lifetime warranties are dumb, and yes I blame Orvis for starting it (sorry Leland). The lifetime warranty has done a lot to hurt fly shops, yet they're the first ones to insist on it, and at this point no one (manufacturer, shop or consumer) in the distribution chain is willing to settle for less.

As Kent pointed out, the price fixing in the industry takes away one of the key tools of inventory management. Once again, fly shop owners are insistent that the MSRP is there to help them, and yet the box stores can ignore it without repercussions, basically invalidating the entire point of having it. There is no "protection" in price fixing, and in the end it's counterproductive to both the shop and the consumer.

This also underscores one of the primary issues in the industry; people don't open fly shops to make money. They do it because they like fly fishing, and they'd like to make a living from it. There's a key difference. As such, Fly Shop owners aren't always the most business minded of individuals. In the long run, the shops that succeed are the ones who are able to overcome this. You'd be amazed how many shop owners have never even heard of the concept of "inventory turns".

The "image" that fly fishing is expensive doesn't help, and any gear guy who's really into fishing spends as much if not more on general tackle.

What the Seattle area shops are doing is exactly what needs to happen to make the industry better--they're banding together to increase their customer base. From there, they should be banding together to let the manufacturers know what they want in order to allow them to better do business. Currently there's no central voice for shops. AFFTA is a mish-mash of the general distribution chain, and quite frankly, the shops get little representation.

5. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Were in a recession, its inevitable. People just don't have the money to spend at fly shops. I really don't think the issue is buying stuff from fly shops as opposed to online or at cabelas, its just that we don't have the money to buy stuff from anywhere. We'll eventually be on the upside though, stock markets are showing improvement (not today though, there wayy down), the unemployment rate is being stubborn but it is bound to go down eventually. Then the carrying capacity will go up. It is sad to see fly shops go out of business, but soon there will opportunities to open up fly shops again. You never know, maybe your thinking about how you wish your local fly shop didn't go out of business, but maybe this is gonna be your chance to own your own fly shop like you always have kinda wanted

6. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

I was a regular at Stewart's until I moved to WA in 07. Miss that shop.

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

You sort of contradict your first statement by saying you haven't even been in a fly shop in over a year. A lot can change in a year, especially after this last one!
    That said, I've only been in a fly shop once this year. Waters West Flyfishing Outfitters in Port Angeles. They have an incredible selection of fly tying materials, and I always try to buy something. Haven't bought any bigger ticket items from them in a few years, though.

A used rod/reel combo ( extra spool, 2 good lines) that I bought used from a private individual was such a good deal, even with no warranty, that I went for it. I am very careful with this rod! It actually may have been the smarter course of action to pay an extra couple of hundred $$ in a shop to get the warranties. If I break the rod and can't get it repaired, its gone.

The only time I went inside the Cabela's store in Lacey, I never even looked in the fly fishing dept. I sort of have enough gear for now. I was checking out gps and sonar, (can't even find a decent selection of marine electronics and handheld gps units with comparable prices, or all under one roof, anywhere here in the Twin Harbors), and did a quick spin thru the clothing to see if I could touch and feel some items I saw in their catalog.

8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Rory, I love good food and wine but that alone isn't enough reason to justify me opening a restaurant.

K

9. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I always thought a cast / blast / cigar shop would be an awesome concept idea.

I think there's a relatively narrow demographic of people that can really support a singularly focused fly shop. As a marketing consultant, I would recommend widening the spectrum of your target customer while maintaining a prestigious line of products that aren't as vulnerable to economic slumps.

10. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

honestly, I think this is a good enough idea to where I'd put my money behind it. If you're interested in getting something rolling, drop me a note.

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

are you having a conversation with yourself? :confused:

12. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

A fly shop in Missoula tried this around 92 or so. They expanded into the building next door and started carrying high end shotguns. For what ever reason the building next door is now a coffee shop and the shop has gone back to a Fly Fishng shop/outfitter.

"Lifetime warranties are dumb, and yes I blame Orvis for starting it (sorry Leland). The lifetime warranty has done a lot to hurt fly shops, yet they're the first ones to insist on it, and at this point no one (manufacturer, shop or consumer) in the distribution chain is willing to settle for less."

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this statement. A lifetime warranty is part of customer service. What is dumb is this " I can treat my rod like crap because I can send it back and get it fixed for $25.00," a fraction of the price for a new rod. Some guys throw rods around like they are a dime a dozen, to the point where a rod has been repaired or replaced more then once. By abusing a warranty, mfgrs. are forced to increase the costs of their products.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. I do what I can to support my local flyshop.

13. Kent Lufkin

Would that be the Grizzly Hackle and Troutriver Coffee on Front Street in downtown?

K

14. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

My guess is you'll want to be able to buy fly rods in the future. How long can rod companies honestly produce rods that are warrantied for life? Think about the dynamics of it. Every year, a rod company produces x amount of rods. Every year, the number of rods being returned for warranty increases by x. You get the idea.

Yes, it seems like good customer service. The truth is, it was a short-term market grab that has had significant impacts on the manufacturers and shops, and will ultimately have a negative impact on the consumers. And do you really think that lifetime warranty is free?

Perhaps I listened to Gary Loomis preach against it for too many years, but just to rephrase something he once said, "you can't even get a lifetime warranty on an anvil." I may not agree with Gary on a lot of things, but this is one thing I've always felt he had right. Selling a product "for life" is not a successful business model.

15. bobduck

bobduck Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP

Many years before I started fly fishing, a friend gave me a fiber glass rod he made which I put together with an old Pflueger reel my uncle had given me. I took the rod to a box store and started talking to a salesman there my matching a fly line to my rod. I knew absolutely nothing about fly fishing. He proposed selling me a line for what I thought then to be an exorbitant price and then the fly fishing Gods smiled on me. He had to take a phone call and said he'd be right back. While he was away another fellow behind me said, "Can I make a suggestion?" Sure I sez and he sez take the rod to our local fly shop and get some expert advice. So I then asked him if he really caught a lot of fish with a fly and he says lots and lots so when the salesman got off the phone I was gone. Best thing that ever happened to me. I went to our local fly shop and admitted my ignorance and the desire to learn and started a great relationship that continues today. I left there with a new line, leader, tippets and a handful of flies for less money than the fellow at the box store was going to charge me. Consequently I never buy anything anywhere else unless they don't have what I'm looking for and that usually only means certain fly tying materials. So now we're talking nearly 20 years and I still have to go in for my regular fly shop "fix". And if I have to spend a couple bucks more there than at some big chain outfit where I don't know anyone than so be it. But I really can't pinpoint a situation where that was the case.

16. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

We need jobs and we all need more 4 wts.! You can never have enough 4 wts.!!! :D

Seems to me the price of equipment has skyrocketed in the last 5 years (although I lose track of time being retired and all). It didn't take long for some of these fly rods to jump from $500 to $800 now did it? I also like to whine about the price of fly lines which seems outrageous and silly. I think some of these are now pushing the $75 mark and just last year were about $60-65. They should be only around the $35 mark in my opinion. I frankly don't get it, but just feel the greed factor has entered into the equation. I don't think this helps a fly shop. I still use my Sage RPL 5wt. for sea run fishing and I think it was around $200. I own a couple of Orvis rods and my last was a T3 4wt. which I enjoy and paid around $500. Now I want a Helios for $800!!!!! I feel sorry for the younger folks. I think now the American dream is no longer a house, but only a car and and fishing equipment!!!

17. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

When did Country Sport close down? That, and Welches were/are my favorite P-Town shops. That sucks.

I didn't read every post, so perhaps this has already been covered...

May people are purchasing their items on-line these days. I understand the convenience and economical aspect of this, but I believe supporting your local fly shop, even if it means spending a couple extra bucks and time, is the right thing to do. A good fly shop can provide a committed patron with endless resources and benefits that computer can't. A good fly shop can be a 2nd home, provide friendships and connection within the local flyfishing community, discounts, yes discounts, very valuable info that your average Joe doesn't get, a part time job :D, demo gear, etc... It’s the right thing to do, and benefits you (the patron), the shop, and your community. Now go spend some money!

18. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I know that earlier in the thread someone suggested that there may just be too many local shops and I would tend to agree based on the simple facts about this hobby.After 2.5 years I have four rods that should cover nearly everything from sardines to groupers and a reel to go with every rod.I bought quality so that I could be sure that my big ticket items would last and paid for that in the price.Fact is now all I need is a new line every few years,leaders,tippet,floatant,tying materials and all the rest of the nickel and dime minutia.I would think that over time this is the way it plays out for most people in the game.Without a fairly regular influx of fresh meat buying the bigger price tag items the need for more than one or two fly shops doesn't seem warranted.In the area where I live it's no more than 10-15 minutes to Kaufman's,Outdoor Emporium,Creekside, that other fly shop and only an additional 10 min to Orvis.Locally the market seems over saturated.

19. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I don't see the savings in buying online, that is with the exception of closeout products and saving the sales tax if you buy out of state. Minimum MSRP's largely keeps the playing field level. If I'm buying a Sage rod or Vanquish reel I want to inspect it before I pay.

20. Kent Lufkin

Exactly. Saving big bucks by buying online is a myth. Online stores have to play by the same MSRP rules as brick and mortar stores if they expect to be able to get more product to sell.

I'm with you about looking at most of the stuff I buy. Most of what I buy these days are consumables, and most of them I want to see in person either to be sure they're the right size or color or I need them immediately and am too impatient to wait a week to arrive.

K