How's your summer steelhead season?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Mine ain't shit living in trout country, but my season is just around the corner. How's it been on the wetside? Yes, I'd like to see pictures!
  2. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +828 / 1
    Rolled one up on a waker Monday but it's beginning to look like I won't get one until I go to Lewiston.

Leland.
  3. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Nice leland!

my season is a disaster so far! i havnt gotten close to catching anything, even them smolts!

arthur
  4. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    The Lower Columbia Tribs have been slow. Late Spring was pretty good, but the last month of low water has been difficult and native and hatchery escapement are on the low side. Still, we have been catching a few fish here and there. The Eastside fish are starting to move and their numbers seem to be on the side of the ten year average. I am looking forward to some rain and Fall.
  5. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +95 / 0
    Fished the Cowlets for 4 days a month ago, with nothing but some smolt and small trout. Been hitting the Green 1 day a week for the last 4 weeks. I had one roll last Thursday, but no pull. The water is getting very low and clear.
  6. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Leland, that's ironic, in that I complain about being reliant/waiting on C-Water fish all summer and fuss about not being over there. Perhaps a good statement about the state of steelhead in Washington no less?
  7. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Whats a steelhead....what is rain?
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,329 / 9
    Summer Steelhead? Rain? Not sure I could even identify either of those rare items right now. You can almost add dungeness crab to that list too.
  9. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +828 / 1
    It is isn't it? On both sides of the mountains, we look to mother C-Water in another state for the cure.

Leland.
  10. Slipstream Member

Goldendale, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    0 for one, 5 minutes of fury and I finally got my backing wet. SS
  11. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +95 / 0
    Went to the local hatchery today to see what had returned. In the past 5 weeks 26 steelhead have returned. Most with net marks. On the up side 2 of them were 3 salt fish
  12. searuncut New Member

rainier,oregon
    Mine has been pretty good so far. Bonked one hatchery fish and lost another.

Eric
  13. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +128 / 0
    The Klickitat was running amazingly clear in early July. I had one break off due to a leader failure July 10. My leader on my 6 ft. sink tip had been getting short so I tied a perfection loop on the stub and looped on another length of Maxima. This loop connection got weak from my last thousand casts, so the fish parted it right at the bottom loop. All last season I lost fish on the Klickitat because of leader breaks. I went home and cleaned up my tip wallet, retying knots with knotsense.

Now the Klickitat is running way too muddy for me, although there were still a few fly anglers out this morning.
  14. fshnazn Member

Beavercreek OR
    Does an Oregon report count? 3 for 5 in the last week and a half. Rose one on a bomber.
  15. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Depends on where you're fishing. Since I've been fishing the Sound's "S" rivers, it's "S"ucked.

I hear it's been sporadically a bit better to the south on Columbia tribs and plan to check that out next Monday.

Summer Steelheading begins seriously for me in late August, about the time I start thinking of heading over the mountains to the dry side.

That's just how it is~ :beer1:

Brian
  16. inland Active Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    Fish numbers to the CW are going to be WAY DOWN this year. Wouldn't bother. Going to be a terrible thermal block this year. Main run of fish won't show until way late. Best bet would be after October 15. Deschutes will be fishing on fire all the way through November. Ronde and Snake will see 'normal' #'s (as of late anyway). Better options. I would head to BC before non guided non BC residents get locked out via a lottery. This year could be your last chance to hit the greater Smithers area DIY and unlimited access. Why would you want to fish for hatchery POS fish (most of which are boots) in an ugly dry river canyon with a loud assed highway running along its length anyway? When you can have BC? Bigger fish. Wild fish. More space. Better scenery. Don't have to bring your own rock. Don't have to deal with the bait fisherman side drifting roe through 'your water' all day long...run after run...after run. CW is quite likely the worst steelheading experience in the lower 48. Go elsewhere.

William
  17. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    You just tubed my September plans. Guess I'll head north:hmmm:
  18. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +521 / 0
    Haven't been yet.May not go.

Sox lose 6-2,
    cds
  19. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +179 / 1
    It's been slowwwwwwww
  20. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one striking out. Been from the "s" rivers to the SW rivers with nary a bump. I am hoping that will change soon.