Huge photo attachments - is there a solution?

Discussion in 'New Features, Site News, Issues Info.' started by Kent Lufkin, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I understand not everyone here is a Photoshop whiz and able to downsize their 5 megapixel digital images to a more manageable size before uploading them as post attachments. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who not only has to suffer through the longish download of a whopper attachment only to find an image so big that to see the middle one has to scroll in both directions.

Chris, aren't there some scripts or plug-ins available that can automatically downsample submitted images to a maximum size of say, 800 x 600 pixels?

IMHO, it might be worth a look.

K

2. lx-88

lx-88 Member

Media:
    http://www.watermark-it.com

If you upload a photo as "regular" it will spit out codes for forums. All you have to is copy and paste. Like this:

[​IMG]

It posts thumbnails and when you click the thumbnail it goes to full size. Click the picture on the full size and the site branding and ads go away.

3. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    That's the idea. But since many users here seem to have only recently learned how to upload a photo at all, I'm not sure adding that an extra step for them will have the desired result.

I'm working with a web dev guy on a client site in which they will upload photos of their product inventory taken with a digital camera. He's heard about a CGI script that automatically resizes uploaded images to a predetermined maximum dimension along the large axis.

Seems like something that requires no user intervention might be better.

K

4. sean

sean Member

Home Page:
    It is pretty easy to integrate mogrify into the board. It lets you do the image resize on the fly if that is what you what. However Chris uses photopost it and does this automatically. If users just uploaded thier photos there first they could link the to the Medium sized version ( the default size shown in the gallery) and this would not be an issue.

-sean

5. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Thanks Sean. Could the Upload link simply point there by default?

K

6. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    There is a file size limit in place of 969k (~1 meg) for most images, no restrictions on resolution.

7. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    A <1mb JPEG compressed image when uncompressed can easily top 5 megabytes (depending on the level of compression originally applied). A 5mb RGB image at a snapshot-shaped rectangle will measure up to 36 inches on the long side when converted to screen res by a browser. That's why so many attachments require scrolling

If you can set the maximum file size lower, try it at about 150kb which should yield a more manageable fize.

K.

8. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Kent,

Mogrify is on the site (is used for the gallery) and once I've upgraded the forum to the latest version I'll look into integrating it. Personally I'd just upload to the gallery and use the med image but what's best isn't necessarily what's done, so point taken.

Chris

9. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Thanks Chris.

K

10. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Bump.

Chris, any update on integrating Mogrify to automatically scale huge image attachments down to a manageable size?

Even with my 6mb cable connection, I just had to wait 20-30 seconds for the first 1.3mb image of someone's trip to Alaska to download. I didn't bother to click on the rest.

Thanks,

K

11. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I know you are looking for fix on this site's end, but for the end users out there, there are some really easy ways to resize images and you don't need expensive software to do it. You can do it easy AND for free.

I sent this to some friends and family a while ago - many of them kept sending me images that were 1-6 megs and clogging my inbox...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Go to www.microsoft.com and install this free tool to help quickly resize images for sending via email or just to reduce space used up on your hard drive or cd\dvd.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Click the link above to go to the ‘powertoys’ section. On the right, you’ll see a list of “Downloads”. (or you can actually click the link below to go directly to the install)

Look for this about ¾ of the way down the list:

Image Resizer

ImageResizer.exe
    521 KB 2 min @ 28.8 Kb

Image Resizer
    This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files. When resizing you can choose from one of four standard sizes or choose a size that you specify. You can also choose to resize the original image or create a new one. Right click any image(s) and select 'Resize Pictures' in the context menu.

Click on the .exe link to install. Follow instructions. When done, go to a folder where you keep photos. Find the picture you want to resize. You can view the properties of the file\picture by right clicking and selecting “Properties”. A file that is bigger than 1mb (1,000 KB) is going to be hard to email, or at least take up more room than necessary. I try to keep them around 100kb.

To resize, right click the file and choose “resize pictures”. Note that you can do several at a time if you like (click one, then hold the ‘Ctrl’ key down and select the others). Try the ‘large’ setting first and see if that is small enough for you. That usually works fine for me when I’m resizing a pic off my camera that is about 700 KB to start with. Also, be sure you use .jpg format for your pictures. This should be a setting on your camera (not .bmp or other formats).

-Chad