Humbled one day then SRC flyfishers Nirvana next time

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Last Friday I got humbled. There were a lot of adult silvers and a few chums jumping around. For two hours I could not even get a strike. So I gave on them and went SRC fishing for a couple of hours. I could only manage to land 2 small SRC(10-12"). I felt lucky to even hook them. Where were the SRC? I sure couldn't find them.

Went out yesterday to give it another try to target SRC and was blessed to have a great day! Fished the last 3 1/2 hours of the incoming tide and landed 19 SRC. On the first cast landed a 16" SRC. For the next 2 1/2 hours I fished 14 locations but it was sporadic landing 6 small SRC(10-13"). Most of the spots I only fished for a few minutes. If there were no strikes or the fish quit hitting after a few casts, it was time to move on and find out where the SRC might be hanging out.

Saved a consistently large SRC location for the last 1 1/2 hour of the incoming tide. I was not disappointed! Landed a 17" SRC on the first cast and 8 more large SRC(16-18") and 3 small SRC(10-13") in about 3/4 hour. After that the tide faded and they disappeared. They were ganged up along a 150 ft. section of gravel bar about 1/2 mile from the estuary of an excellent SRC stream. Most of the fish were sitting shallow water 2-4 ft. deep. The fly of choice was the reliable clouser minnow(olive/white) on #6 4XL hook with 2 1/2" body length. Didn't use an any floating flies which was a mistake but next time will be skating a floating candlefish pattern.

Quit a few of the SRC were starting to get their spawning colors with the reddish gill plates. The coloration of some fish would take your breath away and about all your mind could think was "oh my gosh".

The strategy that I use for SRC on Puget Sound is to cover a lot of water and is an outgrowth from the fly fishing tutorage of my Dad. He was raised on a ranch in Montana on the upper reaches of the legendary Rock Creek and thus he was a avid fly fisherman most of his life. During the summer of the 1950's we would fish the North Fork of Stuart River and it tributaries in Northen California in the Trinity Alps area which is north of Weaverville/Redding. We would hike up the trails with flashing lights to be able put in a full day of fishing. The streams were normally only 10-15 ft. across and made it possible to fish several miles as we hop-scotched up the stream from pool to pool. His philosophy was make a couple of cast at each pool and to move on if there were no takers. That is my fly fishing style to this day particularly for SRC but it makes it hard for me to steelhead fish as I get antsy feet that want to move down stream around the next corner.

I am, forever, thankful/blessed to my Dad for exposing me to the wonders of God's created world and what the Lord provides for us sportsmen to enjoy.