Humming Bird 110-120

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kaiserman, May 6, 2014.

1. Looking/contemplating a depth/fish marker.

Question: Is it worth the price difference, to buy the 120 over the 110?

2. I like the side finder feature but is it worth the extra money? I'm not so sure.

3. Gene, is that the "dual beam" part of the added function?

Personally, I think that's a good feature too, as sometimes we can get into those long shallows, where fish are just cruising the shoreline (or we think they are) and that feature would really help... I would think.

By the way, is the screen (upper part) water proof? I'm assuming it is, but couldn't find out for sure. Would hate to drop it in the water and get the "grey screen of death", ha ha.

4. I have owned both and currently have the 110. Like a lot of the bells and whistles on the new trucks the sidefinder sounds like it might be nice to have. But in reality I never got much use out of the sidefinder function and thought it just cluttered the screen. I like to see depth and bottom contour in just a glance and spend as little time possible staring at an LCD screen. I don't ever want to see something like My Ford Touch or Synch make it's way onto my boat. I would say the 120 is not worth it but someone with a more techie disposition might say just the opposite.

Ive

5. I have the 140c model, but I would definitely recommend paying up to get the SideFinder View. In water of less than 15 feet, you'll very rarely see fish straight down as the transducer cone is too narrow and fish that close tend to swim away from you anyway. The SideFinder View will spot fish that are out of sight, but within casting range. It will give you some idea of direction, but not the depth at which the fish is swimming, but still, it is useful information to know you are fishing where there are actually fish rather than just empty water. In deeper water, like when the fish are in the thermocline at 20 to 25' down, the Fishin' Buddy will spot those fish easily straight down. Once in a while I'll be stripping in my fly and I'll spot a fish on the SideFinder View and I'll see that the fish is moving towards me and I'll realize that it is following my fly. Pretty cool, huh? Especially when I hook that fish!

To answer Kaiserman's question, yes, the screen is waterproof, and I accidentally also found out that the Fishin' Buddy floats when dropped in the water, which is a nice, unadvertised feature.

Rex

Kaiserman, Lue Taylor and bakerite like this.
  6. I have a 120 and totally agree with Starman's post. I find I often catch fish in the areas the sidefinder shows them and rarely see any fish right below me, the cone is too small,

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. I have the 140c when i purchase this I was also thinking of price an getting the black & white model 120. I was told that the color model has better viewing in sunlight over B&W and I agree with Starman77 that side view helps

8. Yup. As some have noted, the side finder does have some advantages and I too have seen a fish come from a distance and nail my fly -- it is cool to watch -- you don't realize the mark is heading toward your fly until you feel the strike.

When the Fishin Buddy was made by Bottomline (before they were bought out by Hummin Bird) the first model came with the side finder option so I've continued to buy models with that function... I don't really find the secondary screen distracting.

I don't see a reason at all to go for the color version of the product. B&W is all I need. I guess it depends on where you fish and what you are fishing for as to if the side finder function would be a large plus for you.

I do use the side finder function more when bass fishing than trout fishing because I'm looking for bass near shore.

Kaiserman likes this.
  9. Yea, the side finder is a lot of fun to have. Another use is when I get on the water and check things out I will sometimes be slow trolling and looking for signs of activity to create my strategy for the day. Several times the side finder shows fish working the shallows or you will see several fish working a hatch in the shallows. Too much fun!

Kaiserman likes this.
  10. On two occasions the sidefinder has been an indispensible feature. I was in the middle of a caddis hatch where the fish were on the bottom in 10' picking off the pupae as they started their rise to the surface. I was close to the hot action but I knew I was off a bit when I noticed the sidefinder picking up fish 60-80' away in water two feet deeper. I moved 40', anchored up and didn't move for 6 hours.

The next time was during a heavy chironomid hatch on a shoal that was 7-10' in depth and the same story as above. I was 40-60 outside of the heavy action and a slight move proved to be the answer again. I will never buy another fishfinder without a sideview again.

Not sure of the model numbers but the colour screen model goes through batteries like crazy and has no distinct advantage over the black/white.

Another feature of the sidefinder is identifying when the fish are on a feeding cycle, especially during chironomid hatches. On Tunkwa Lake I had it down to a fine art and timed their cycle out at 45 seconds based on when they would show up on the finder.

Kaiserman, bakerite and Starman77 like this.

11. Would you elaborate on this comment, as I don't quite follow what you wrote? Are you saying that the fish are going around in a circle and they get in front of you every 45 seconds as they go around this circle or what?

I have the 140c which has the color screen, and I agree that there isn't any advantage to having the color over black & white. Fresh batteries last me about 2.5 days of fishing (or about 15 hours of continuous operation). How long do the batteries last on the B&W model (120)?

Rex

bakerite likes this.
  12. I have found that, in the spring at least, the fish will use some form of structure, whether it be a submerged weedbed, shelf, point or dropoff, as a checkpoint (if you will) for their feeding cycle. In this one instance the feeding cycle had a duration of 45 seconds which is the length of time the finder was "quiet" before it would start picking up fish regularly again. While at Tunkwa I was on the water for at least an hour of every open water day in an effort to stay in touch with what was going on with the fish and their feeding habits. Sometimes I would be out there without any gear but just drifting the more popular areas paying close attention to the fishfinder. Afterall, I considered that part of my job. The nature of the fishing resort business is a catching customer is a happy customer and anyone who has fished Tunkwa knows that lake can be brutally unforgiving.

Back to feeding cycles for a minute, in August Tunkwa had some crazy bomber hatches and it was a matter of finding the right depth and had nothing to do with structure. Still the fish seemed to cruise in schools as there were lapses in action on the Humminbird. Once the fish were showing again, a 2' rip strip more often than not brought some form of a response. Keep in mind that during these August hatches the action was fairly isolated to one large bay on the lake and Tunkwa being a very shallow lake the fish were usually easy to locate and during the approximate three week duration of these hatches the location rarely changed.

As for color versus black/white, Rex, I found the same thing with the color screen, about two days on a set of batteries whereas the b/w would be good for at least 20 days.

bakerite, Starman77 and Jeff Dodd like this.
  13. Awesome, thanks for the info guys.

I went out yesterday with my "Bolt Finder", made by Lowes. It works great at finding the bottom right where it lands (on the bottom), but when you move/drift 10-15' off that mark, you can find yourself 5-10' deeper or shallower, which (as I found out) can make all the difference between catching fish and not. :confused:

I really need a finder. The forceps/bolt technique just isn't cutting it for me.

Thanks for the input.

14. I have the 120 and think the sidefinder feature is very helpful. I troll flies for cutthroat trout in Lake Sammamish so seeing fish hugging the bottom at 80 feet is of no use. But when I can spot them regularly with the sidefinder I know they can be caught trolling flies in the top 20 feet or so.

I have some regrets that I didn't buy the 130 because I had to jury-rig a mount for the fishfinder for my 7 foot pontoon boat and it would have been easer with the 130 with its extendable transducer poll.

Denisr