Hump

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jonathan Tachell, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    One of many.
    Salty August 002.JPG

Tight Lines!
    wadin' boot and Gregg Lundgren like this.
  2. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    Nice fish. Lots o' salad in the water.
  3. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +201 / 0
    Nice pink! Which marine area were you fishing?
  4. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Yeah, the MA # would be my question, too. 11 was definitely NOT stellar today. 0 for 1 during an 8 hour outing covering 2 tidal slacks.
  5. wildbuca Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Put a couple hrs in at MA11 as well. One fish seen and none hooked. A lot less boats than usual for this time of year.
  6. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    I have only been fishing area 11. Its been a little tough as of late but there are fish to be caught if you can be mobile.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  7. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    For MA11, I REALLY wish I knew where the large quantities of Pink salmon are. I shouldn't have to be sad or pissed because one bleeping fish breaks off my fly! :mad: There should be another one on its way. Except for one day out of 10 (al least 60 hours of actual fishing total) that has not been the case. 3 skunks and 6 singles. I know some people are managing to get in front of some fish, but it just doesn't seem as consistent as expectations would have it. I've even tried to be more mobile, running up and down the shoreline looking for visible fish or fishing success. That only worked once and it was another one fish day. Fuel COSTS, and I'm already pushing the budget going every other day. :confused:

Theories abound, but here are some of mine in no particular order:
    1. Netting in the north sound. I've seen what could be net marks on a few fish and there are reports of some tribal netting up there.
    2. They've been making mad dashes south at night. There HAS been a full moon in the last week or so.
    3. More are traveling in the main channel instead of near shore. I've seen quite a few jumpers WAY out.
    4. Fisheries estimates were WAY off. I've talked to some of the checkers and they are lost, too.
    5. The main run hasn't started. I've heard this a few places. Really? I suppose it's possible, but 2 weeks late on a 4 to 6 week run? (Global warming, anybody?)

Guess I'll just keep plugging away and hope for the best. ;)
    Patrick Allen likes this.
  8. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    yes I'm in the same boat too, 5 trips in 2 weeks, luckily I only have a 20hp yammy and sips gas but all the time and effort,etc. for only a hand full of fish. I guess thats why they call it "fishin'" and not "catchin'" ...
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    Three of us went out on foot this morning and had three limits by 8am. That's two trips in a row of easy limits. They're definitely showing up. We go through this every year... Early August push gets people pumped, the mid August lull kicks in, people get all depressed, then the weeks close to labor day really blow up.
  10. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    I sure hope so. I'm sticking to my every other day schedule, but I'm starting to get a few exasperated sighs out of the wife when I say "but dear, it's a FISHING day tomorrow. I can't ______." (fill in the blank)
    Dipnet likes this.
  11. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    evan, you must be the best fisherman out there. man, I wish I was as good. well I will just keep on doing what ever that is. lol. maybe it will all pick up soon, crossin ma fingers. tight lines all.
    Outlaw
  12. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    I have humpies pretty well figured out. But I'm far from being in the top tier of anglers. Plenty on here who are far beyond me. They just don't talk as much :cool:
  13. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    DennisE, here's my take.
    your right on items : 1, 4. I will add another.
    .5 fish are making it fast up river. you have pinks in most headwaters. and they were already there a week ago. which means they are moving.
    and net marks on fish from both north sound rivers i have fished.
    and check the WDFW ocean & sound reports. numbers are declining each week.
    but Coho numbers look promising for this early.
    my 1-1/2 cents of it all.
  14. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    IMGP1633.jpg They are indeed making it up some rivers. Here's a shot of a pool about 19 miles upstream. The river was absolutely thick with the plaguers in several places that I checked. this was yesterday.
  15. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Found a rather large, but spread out school of Pinks this afternoon near DP. Jumpers all over the place, but pretty closed mouthed. Had to make a run to get in the lee of DP after about an hour of fishing where I had been and found, I think, that same school again. Even managed to hook, but not land, one.
  16. m.albrecht@comcast.net Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I would have to agree with the previous posts. I went out to MA 11 last Sunday at BP and only saw three caught from 6:00AM to 10:30. Two of those were on at the same time. So I agree with the previous posts this season has been very frustrating. I have had only one good Saturday where I felt I was into fish. My question is will the rain this week help our cause in the salt or hurt it? Should I give up at BP and try somewhere else? I do not have a motor boat but I have taken my pontoon out to get away from the crowds. I really want to spend a lot of time on the water this weekend and find em. Thanks for the info guys!