Humpies 8/13

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Anil, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Another report from our website:
    South Puget Sound - August 13th, 2005
    RECORDED: 71 ° FISHING: Excellent
    Puget Sound Fly Company is proud to offer current fishing reports for the exciting saltwater opportunities available in the South Puget Sound. These reports come from staff fishing trips, customers and friends. Please call us at (253) 839-4119 if you are new to the area or estuary fishing in general.

FISHING: I did another beach class last night and took the guys down to the beach this morning. The Humpies were very accommodating. When we arrived there was not a strong showing of fish, but the action built into quite a frenzy by about 7:00am.
    I wanted to thank all the guys who showed up for the class and compliment the other fishermen on the beach. Despite the increased pressure (some yahoo has been posting reports on the internet), all of the anglers seem to be getting along well and keeping the beach clean. It’s nice to see that kind of cooperation for a change.

FLIES: ‘Bozo’ Shock and Awe, and Pink Candies.

Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

2. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Anil

My God what a spectacle. Got out there yesterday at O dark thirty, well, maybe eight thirty. Seventy fishermen on the dock. Three, four, or five fish hooked up at a time for an hour or more. The bare footed twelve year old next to me on the beach caught two. Fish jumping every where.

Then we went a little South of that spot. Only about twelve fishermen there, about half fly fishing. A little thirteen year old girl was hooked up when we arrived. Half hour after high tide a dude with a beautifull boat and a fair girl dropped anchor just out of casting distance. He hooked up shortly and I thought he should be using heavier gear because he played that fish way too long! But, she eventually displayed the skill with the net that he no doubt had patiently taught her, and they boated a really big hen king, I would say at least 15 pounds. I hope he reads this and gives us the real weight.

A little kid, really little, got his bukzz bomb hooked up onl the bottom, swam out to get it but the waves drove him back to shore. Talk about spectacle, we were driven ashore earlier by waves that, were the current stonger, would have upended us anad taken us down to the Narrows. A lot of friendly folks in those killing fields, gulls feeding on the entrails too, glorious sun by then too.

I don't know if I will go back there to fish, since my idea of fishing seems to be being alone on the whulge with my miserable little thoughts. Nevertheless, I thank Anil for turning me on to this thing. Yesterday was a once in a lifetime experience of fish fish fish.

Steve

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

It doesn't matter if you are fishing at Brown's Point or the Russian River in Alaska, or anywhere populated or remote; when the salmon are in, the place will become a zoo. As for the crowds, it seems that a whole lot of people hit the internet with their success or failture when a run of salmon is in. It is just the name of the game in this enlightened age of communication. If you start your own private e-mail tree to keep your fishing success among a close knit group, it keeps the world from knowing -- quite as soon, at least....and you still get to write about it.

Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

4. cascade kid

cascade kid New Member

Les, I simply disagree. There is plenty of great fishing that is kept appropriately muted from the masses by people that don't need the public's adoration or attention (or money). They are happy to fish for their own satisfaction or to share with good friends the information they have earned. I do agree, however that there always seem to be a minority of people who feel comfortable selling what they know. That is unfortunate.

These things being said, I would like to thank those on this board whom have become more discreet over the last couple of years. It is possible to share general information without being so explicit that the best places quickly become unusable.

This is my perspective,

James Roberts

5. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    James:

One can easily find "secret" spots if they are willing to take burn a few calories. I laugh at the thought of believing you are going to drive down to Brown's Point or Dash Point, walk all of 50 feet to the water, and expect solitude. As for "selling" what you know; are you in some manner bashing fly shop owners or guides? They are in business my friend. They advertise and get people excited about this sport or they go out of business. If I bought Les' Book, got interested in Coastal Cutts, and pursued fishing them, is Les quilty of our judgement. Or if Bob Triggs guides me to a "secret" spot, did he commit a taboo? If Anil or Clark sell me a rod, reel, and flies and then direct me to a good fishery to use them, did they "sell" what they know? All silly questions if you ask me. These guys are not only fly fishermem, they are businessmen that will have to share their knowledge or fail. For you to expect differently is simply naive. Walk a mile up a river sometime, it will be peaceful, call it your "secret spot" .......

6. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    iagree

Browns and Dash Point are anything but "secret" - In fact, almost any publicly reachable beach is going to be full of people given the weather. You can find solitude, just have to find the means to move around (boat).

7. RedFive

RedFive Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ibn! Where ya been, bruh? We missed you at the beach yesterday and this morning. Bake, another friend of mine and I got into a triple!

J: thanks for the pics, they'll be up tonight, so check the link.

Totally with you guys on public access points. There's always the high mountain lakes and creeks, after all. Oh wait, it's too hot to fish up there, isn't it? Better get up early and grab a good spot on the beach, then...

8. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:

I outmigrated from the beach into my boat. I think we almost ran over Hikepat today! :)

9. cascade kid

cascade kid New Member

Jason,

I was responding to a post that stated that "anywhere populated or remote" is inevitably going to become a "zoo" when the fish are in. I simply don't think that is true if folks use some tact and restraint in sharing information. Actually, I think most of us already do.

I am a realist. We need fly shops. There will always be fishing authors and guides. They have different motivations than most of us, and always will. I am merely sharing the way I feel, fully knowing it is one of many points of view. It has nothing to do with Browns Point or anywhere else or anyone else specifically.

James

10. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    IBN you should have said hello. Fished out there from about 7AM till noon Sunday. Still can not catch a darn Pink but there are still Silvers and Kings. I did not do to well Sunday and only hooked into 2 but lost them both as well as having a couple hits here and there. One of the takes was quite a thrill. I was surfing a large boat wave after chasing out to a batch of feeding gulls, when i saw a fish surface right next to me. Used the oar to coast the kayak on the wave to put the fly in the fishes face and then it was on but only for a short battle do to never getting a good hook set. Also had a very large seal come well out of the water right beside me about 6-7 feet away. I had many poke just their head up next to me but never their whole body. After finishing with the salt I went home for a short nap and then hit a local lake for some bass and pan fish action. That action turned out to be real hot and I caught a few sunfish and a few crappie, to many small baby bass to count, 2 bass around 12-14" and one about 16"-17" that really put a bend in the 3-wt and that tried to wrap me around a stump. After working around the house all day Saturday it was good to spend the whole day fishing Sunday and it was fun doing two types of fishing in all the same day but it was weird casting the 3-wt and a floating line after spending all morning with a 8-wt and heavy sinking line .

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    James; "Different moitivations?" :confused:

12. cascade kid

cascade kid New Member

What's a moitivation? I may not be Mr Vocab, but that's a new one!

Keep Clam,

James

13. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Most of the fly fishing guides that I have had the pleasure of fishing with and certainly in the case of Bob Triggs have admirable “motivations” and in fact are great conservation advocates for and custodians on the waters in which they work.
    Joe

14. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Meanwhile, back at the beaches...

Today I joined about thirty of my personal best friends at Point No Point, so I don't think I'm giving away any secrets. (Of the assembled crowd, there only appeared to be about five of us FFers.)

I hooked my first (and only) pink about forty-five minutes after arriving and just about the time two others hooked up. Just like I'd heard, the fish made one brief and spirited run and then came to hand very nicely. Only about a three-pounder, but hey, I wasn't on this side of the state for the '03 run and now I've acquired yet another reason to fish the salt.

Also hooked up with two of the bigger sculpin I've seen this year :eek: and a flounder that put up as much resistance as any old boot I've ever dredged up :rolleyes: But you know, it just adds to the appeal of fishing the beaches - you just never know what you'll hook up with.

Thanks to those of you who've been sharing your pink/humpy information; I've been reading it avidly and waiting for my turn to add somethimg modest to the conversation.

As an aside...those currents at the lighthouse - wow - pretty impressive as the tide started to rise mid-morning. It seemed they were constantly shifting and changing, and you could walk fifty yards or less and get something completely different.

15. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    One other aspect of getting to a popular access with parking (that would be any landmark ending with the word Point, Park, Narrows, Inlet, Sound, etc.) is that if nobody is fishing, guess what?