Humpy's

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom Johnston, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    Since we are all in the heat of catching pinks what kind of flies do you use. I know I know some wont mention or show what they are using but thats ok! Here are the two that I am using to hookup with some fish. They are both the same just bead head on one and the other is a floating style. Just depends on what the fish want. They have both landed fish so I am always happy to catch fish on a fly I tied.
    View attachment 23257
    View attachment 23256

2. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Hey looks good Tom. I've been trying to tie some of my own to try without having been fishing for pinks yet ever. It's great to enjoy tying and then to catch what you're after on your own flies is such a fun time. keep it up! Bob

3. Tom Johnston

Media:
    The first pink I caught on a fly was the bead head version. So I think I may have stumbled upon a good combo of material.

4. rotato

rotato Active Member

i like the bead head to get the jiggy action
    a little maribou helps if you use a slow retrive

5. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    clousers, flash flies, and clousers... Also some times snagger hooks, humpies make great halibut bait :)

6. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Hit the beach with the beadhead fly and landed one silver. Had 4 hookups and LDRed 2 and SDRed one. My line got tangled in the intense action of combat fishing at BP. Never have I seen so many fish caught in one hour.

7. Trodella

Trodella New Member

Hi,

I am planning to fly out fro Maine to flyfish for humpies in the area near Marysville with some friends. I hear the run has just started there and I am wondering how long itmight last? I would greatly appreciate any advice about the timing of this run before I book a flight and find out that I missed them!

I am new to this board, though I did live in Bellingham for 7 years.

Thank you.

Vic T

8. Tom Johnston

Media:
    I got some maribou today. Will have to tie some up and see how they do. Went out today and did not land a fish. Hooked up about 50ft out and fought for a second or two and lost it. Looked like a big buck. Had a good size hump back. Will have to hit the beach a couple more times this week and see what I can get.

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I hope your not flying out for pink salmon dinner. They're terrible unless you like dog food! Go find some coho instead! Good luck.

10. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Trodella, looks like some are reluctant to answer your question. You should still have at least 3 weeks and then it will begin tapering off considerably for pinks but behind them and overlapping slightly will be the silver opportunity (north sound) although a little tougher to find the biters and fewer in numbers compared to the pink run.
    As for eating pinks; as long as you get them (in the salt) early to mid of the run and bleed and ice them right away they are good table fair, just had some fresh pink on the BBQ and it was great.
    Welcome to gods country.
    D

11. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Your pattern is quite similar to a respected Canadian salmon beach fly called "Monty's Zuma" designed by Ian Montgomery. We used it with great success all of last week for pink salmon on northern Vancouver Island.
    Les Johnson

12. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Nice to see a simular pattern working all over the place. Pinks really love this. If there is a school passing through and your fly is out there chances are you will hookup! What is it about pink that humpy's like? I have been discussing this with people I work with and have not gotten a solid answer.

13. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Depending upon where pink salmon are in their migration they will hit a wide variety of baits. Though they prefer krill of all varieties they also readily take sand lance, anchovys or herring when they are actively feeding well out into the salt (northern Vancouver Island, the QCs, SE Alaska, etc.). By the time they have arrived in Puget Sound they have for the most part stopped feeding. You can check the stomach contents and will find that most are empty, or carrying a remnant quantity of amphipods, euphausiids, etc.). This is the period when they are "waiting" or "staging" prior to entering natal streams.
    During this period pink salmon will take a wide range of attractor patterns like yours, usually small (sizes 6, 8, 10) and sparse. There are a great many patterns that have been designed strictly for this phase of the pink's life shown in the fly chapter of Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II tied by veteran pink salmon fly fishers all along the Washingtron and BC coastlines. Pink is a popular color but they will also hit bright green, white or even a Teeny Nymph in tan. The color and style of your fly should continue to work well for Puget Sound pinks (humpies, not humpy's) until they move up into the rivers.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

14. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Thanks for the info Les. Info soaked into my mind like a sponge. I have been looking locally for your new book. Been a hard one to find. Have not gotten online to find it. I am the kind of person that likes to buy something thats infront of me and not on line. Thanks again.

15. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    just in case you change your mind:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHNGE54TMR8200Z0B16

16. Trodella

Trodella New Member

Double D,

Thanks for your help, I thought everyone was in some top-secret mode for a while there. God's country ... Puget Sound, the coast of Maine, bonefish flats in the outer Bahamas...it's where you find it. I am grateful to have good friends and the opportunity to return to a place I loved for 7 years and fish with people I consider to be some of my best friends. If you ever come to Maine or Cape Cod to fish the slat, I would be happy to share the local knowledge with you.

I will be there from Wednesday to the following Tuesday to try for these beautiful fish.

Vic T

17. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Thanks for the invite Vic, would love to get up that way some day.
    Good fishing
    Dale D

18. tkseadawg

tkseadawg New Member

What material are you using and what size hooks? Looks like an easy pattern to tie.

19. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Size 6 streamer Mustad hook. Synthetic polar bear hair with a little crystal flash. The flash under the polar bear hair is mixed color crystal flash and the top is silver flash. You can tie a hand full up quickly.

20. tkseadawg

tkseadawg New Member

Thank you!!