Hunting Deer/Elk 2005

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Dan Reynolds, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Media:
    Moved from Montana 7 years ago and I'm really starting to miss all the hunting spots I've knew there.

I haven't hunted much the last few years here in Washington but want to do some this season as I have adequate days off with my new work schedule.

(Days off are Tue,Wed,Thur and I can take other days off as well).

I don't mind hunting solo as I'm very self sufficient in the woods but I do enjoy company. I have a 4x4 and don't mind driving...
    I am looking to hunt off the beaten path if possible, I have a mtn bike and prefer to get away from the road hunters.

In the past I've hunted the L. Naches, Nile areas but found it tough lately with the huge numbers of folks. I bowhunted in Battleground, don't have a bow currently (but could pick one up)...

I'm 35, fit hiker type...don't mind sleeping in a tent or the back of my canopy. I want to make the most of my days off while hunting and don't mind camping out a few days in the cold/wet. Not looking for someone that wants to drive the roads from 10am to 3 and call it good, off to the motel...

I haven't done any scouting this year and am at a bit of a loss...

Anyone know good areas and would like company?
    Anyone have access to private land and would like to share gas?
    Any guides out there that like trading?

I do work for the airlines and have buddy passes....I just got back from 4 days fishing for silvers in Alaska for under $200 so I'd gladly reciprocate for good hunting access etc etc :thumb:

dan.reynolds@alaskaair.com (email if you want...bored here at work today thinking of hunting)

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    NFR - Hunting Deer/Elk 2005

So Dan you going to fly on the "Salmon30Salmon" ????

Gorgeous looking jet...

:cool:

3. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Media:

I saw that...now that's a flying fish!

4. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Dan, I'm a hunter. However, this year I'm going hunting primarily in your OLD state - Montana. I'm leaving for eight days of mule deer hunting on Nov. 11. As for around here, I don't have many plans due to young kids at home and the fact that I'm going to be gone for awhile in Nov...... you have to pick your battles, man. ;)

Based on your post, I'm assuming you are a big game hunter. You have one advantage, though - your days off. Tues, Wed, Thurs is PERFECT. You should be able to find some spots without a lot of people during the week, unless you're talking about the MF Elk Season (that's a zoo no matter what day it is). The Little Naches and Nile areas are good, but not as good as they used to be. You'll have to look hard for deer in those areas(but there are some BIG bucks around those areas), and unless you drew a tag, it's all spike-only for elk.

PM me if you have any more specific questions - lived and hunted in WA my whole life. I'd be up for hooking up to hunt ducks or something this year, and I do own my own company, so I could arrange a day off during the week. :thumb:

5. Fishin' Fool

Fishin' Fool New Member

Dan-

Since you're the fit, hiking type, my advice would be to head for the Blue Mountains. I hunted the Little Naches area for years, and just recently changed to the Blues, and found a world of difference. The terrain is much steeper, and if you get back into the wilderness areas, you'll find little or no competition. I hunted for 9 days last year and saw 4 people - two groups of 2.

There's also the Norse Peaks and William O. Douglas wilderness areas in the Naches/Chinook Pass area, and while I've never hunted there, I've been there in the summer and seen a lot of elk. Any time you have the wilderness, which means you have to go in on foot or horseback, you're looking at having some solitude.

If you want some additional advice, PM me and I'd be happy to share what I know.

6. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

the blues will be affected by the school fire i would think, so be careful where you look over there. the locals tell me there are many many more deer in the lower elevation areas out of the blues and everyone's take on it over there is the fire pushed the deer out of there...at least for now. next year hopefully with fresh new growth, should be a great area. spike-only elk area too...

7. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:

For what it's worth, I took my deer hiking in the umtanum creek area. If you can get access or have good legs, the LT Murray around the canyon has a good population, just make sure where you are is an open GMU for your season, It can get a little tricky in that area. I Also saw good numbers in the oak creek area

8. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:

Ncitrez,

Where abouts in Montana are you hunting in November? I am heading over between Columbus and Red Lodge area to hunt muley's on some family ranch land at the end of the month and to get a little fishing in too.

Josh

9. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

I'm heading for the Breaks on Nov. 11. Get there on the 12th and stay in Jordan until the 17th. Five of us put in as a group and drew tags this year. Six of us drew in 2003, and all six of us got decent bucks that year. All four points, three were smallish, and the other three were wallhangers. Best eating mule deer I've ever had.

LOOOONNNGGG drive, but well worth it. The only thing that sucks is driving by all the "Holy Waters" of Montana with no fly gear and no time to stop and fish! bawling:

10. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:

That is definetely a long drive but it'll be worth it for sure! Wish you guys the best of luck and may your freezers be full of deer!:beer2:

Josh