Hunting Dog

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Robert Fyall, Dec 5, 2011.

1. martyg

martyg Active Member

Hey Kaari - I've never looked at anyone's DVDs - but rather have had opportunities to train with them, watch them at hunt test or judge them. The trainers with the softest demeanor seem to get the most out of the dogs. That doesn't mean that you cannot establish that you are the boss, you can just do it intelligently instead of being a hardass. I've never tripped across Evan, but Mike Lardy is a great guy.

When we do multi-day river trips in ID we drop the dogs at Dan Hosford's. They get boarded in a great environment and get a lot of work in my absence.

2. martyg

martyg Active Member

Brazda - In my experience usually the collar is not tight enough. I find that if the collar is marginally loose, and the dog is looking down the contact points are not on the dog's skin, and I get no response. You might want to check on that and / or get longer contact points for the collar.

3. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Media:
    Home Page:
    I bet your right as the last time she was in that exact position! and when she looked up and stll ignoring me me she felt the zap and vocalized, that was two weeks ago I have not tried the collar since,,, going to try that monday thanks,,,brazda

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    This is probably the best post I've read on this forum regarding dog selection, training, and issues. Well said.

5. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

Rfyall, I'm a little late to this party but appreciate your post. I have hunted with Chessies over in Idaho in some of the absolute worst hunting conditions and have admired their ability to step up and deliver, no matter how may ice blocks they have to maneuver through to retrieve their bird. However, on further investigation my experience was similar to many of the responses you have already received. A tough dog that requries an equally tough and experienced trainer,

I lost my ten year old golden this summer who had been a great waterfowl dog. I've had a gimpy knee for the past year and was about accepted the fact that my hunting days were over. I've just had a total knee replacement and expect to be back in the game before very long. In preparation, I just committed to a yet to be born Golden in Surrey BC. with a terrific field pedigree. I live nearby in Richmond Beach and suggest that we both might be training an new retriever at about the same time. Martyag's mention of the Puget Sound Retriever Club sounds like a great way to get our new retrievers on the right track.

If you are interested, let's get together and see if we can't solve some of the logistics of dog training, by living so near to each other. My phone # (206) 542-2407

6. Robert Fyall

Robert Fyall Member

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I'm putting a deposit down on a black lab and hopefully can figure out how to train the darn thing....

This thread will definitely help others down the road. Thanks again.

7. Flicastr

Flicastr New Member

Did you check the classifieds? nice labs listed, LOL

8. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Congrats on getting your Lab. I hope your's brings you as much enjoyment as mine has. That said, I wince when I hear folks talk about learning to train their dogs when they buy them (I did it, too with a previous dog). I hope and pray you will contact a very experienced dog trainer and either pay them to teach you or hire you on weekends (barter training for work) so you can learn the science and the art of training. I am tired of guys hunting with dogs that don't have even the most basic obedience skills down. One other thought, do not expect to train your dog during hunting season, it needs to be trained on birds for months before it ever goes into the field for hunting. Hunting season is when the dog gets it's experience. You will be doing yourself and your dog a favor. Check Jim's posts on the history of his dog that just entered it's first season. Very best wishes to you and your new partner and many, many good adventures together!

Sorry for the rant but I had five episodes this year with dogs that had great potential but are now pretty much beyond hope due to owners that don't get it.

9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Good choice & enjoy the great times ahead of you. Karl's advice re: a trainer is worth it's weight in many limits of birds and countless trips wherein you'll be filled with pride versus frustration. I once thought that I knew all I needed to know about training a pup & did do a good job on obedience training and retrieving, however after spending time with a quality trainer, we are BOTH much better & smarter. I invested a couple visits with a great trainer & both the pup & I learned a great deal. At 10-months (in 3 more days), Hank is well on his way to being one helluva bird dog . . . he tracks, points, retrieves, handles, and is undoubtably the most well-behaved partner/dog with whom I've had the pleasure of sharing my life & adventures. Hank pointed one of these & honored on the other, then made both flawless retrieves:
    [​IMG]

He rooted this one out of the bulrushes & cattails today, then did a stellar track-down & retrieve (I was using a 28-gauge & didn't kill the bird quite dead-enough; picture is lousy, photog should flogged, big bird/smallish pup, but the pup is absolutely perfect):
    [​IMG]

He did almost the same thing yesterday . . . outfoxed a smart Rooster in dense cover, but I passed on the shot because it flushed into the sun & I couldn't identify it as a cock until it had flown-out to marginal range for my 20-gauge. As my cyber-friend Alex once posted: "This dog'll HUNT!" And so he does & with intensity . . .

10. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

You've great advice from these folks, and now you've a lab, excellent choice. I've had chessies, labs, and goldens, and I like the goldens the best because they are so eminently biddable, and the fact they're not hard chargin' rootin' tootin' go dogs is OK by me now that I'm 30 years older...and there's not that much difference between breeds when you get right down to it, though chessies are pretty much one-guy dogs. One bit of advice on training: go to the trainer to train you, not to train your dog. You need the training, on how to communicate with your dog. The dog just wants to make you happy...most of the time, and they will if you can communicate what is acceptable and what is not. Make sure, for your money, the trainer trains you. And then, if you want a hunting dog, take the dog hunting. Training, then experience. And the training and experience you give your dog will come back to you tenfold.

11. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

I LOVE the breed. They are wonderful dogs. My last one - Mack, as in Mack truck - currently resides w/ the ex, and my kids, because no one is getting into their home uninvited, while Mack is on the job. Loyal, trustworthy, and possessing the heart of a lion. I've used him successfully on geese, ducks, grouse, woodcock, and assholes. He's brought the fowl to-hand and merely mauled the asshole, who very much had it coming. He's broken ice to get to a downed bird when labs refused to even think about retrieving, and please don't get me wrong... I've owned Labs and love them too. Chessies are literally a whole "nother" breed. (The story of their lineage is worth the read.)

My advice is to buy your dog as a pup, for sure. Mack was a rescue, and never adequately/properly socialized as a pup. Consequently, his "circle-of'frirnds" was quite small and rather arbitrary. My hunting buddies all learned to announce themselves loudly when approaching the duck-blind in the dark. All that said, my son and I were at the dog-park yesterday - w/ my german wirehaired pointer - and we agreed that of all the many dogs, setters, pointers, labs, and Mack the Chessie; Mack remains at the top of our list of loved dogs. Good luck w/ your search!

12. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    It is not the dog....but the heart in the dog.

[​IMG]

13. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    chessies are awesome hunting dogs i have one myself and he is great. here is a pic in this url http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=168701

The chessie i have right now is my first one. I got him when I was 11 and because of that I really didnt put as much time into training him as I should of. He is fully grown and weighs 77pounds.

I have had a lab and they are great dogs but i really dont think i will go back.

If you are a duck hunter that is shooting a lot of birds and or hunting in cold water chessies are the way to go.

They do say they are part mule and part wolf. stubborn and aggressive dogs. Aggressive as where he dives under water for ducks and will retrieve it no matter what. They are amazing swimmers. last lab i had wouldnt retrieve the bird on land if it was alive this chessie never lets me down.

They are actually very friendly dogs but they are not to friendly to someone they arent familiar with.
    They just want to pretect their master and who ever is around. He does growl at game wardens but after they come up to him he acts like he has known them his whole life
    I did hear someone on here say that chessies arent to friendly with other hunting dogs or any dog. thats very true. My chessie has never been friendly with other dogs.
    have my little brothers friends come over all the time and the chessie is very friendly.

I would definitely go with a chessie if i where you.
    I have a teacher that has a female chessie as a family pet and an upland bird dog and he likes it better then his labs.

You could come look at my dog if you would like, i live near puyallup.
    The chessie i have came from http://brushwaters.com/
    PM me if you have anymore questions.
    I think you will be making a mistake if you dont get a chessie!
    Spencer

14. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Top of my class,

A dog that growls at game wardens and is unfriendly to other dogs... I can't imagine that being manageable behavioral issues for most dog owners.

Most people don't hunt alone and being friendly with other hunting dogs is pretty essential. If it were my dog, I would have to retire my dog from field work if he had people/dog aggression issues, no way would I put up with it and neither would the people/dogs I hunt with.

I've met and hunted with friendly chessies. I don't know if chessies are more prone to aggression than other breeds, but poor socialization as puppies seems to affect them more in that way than other breeds.

15. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Rfyall, post up a pic of that pup once you get him (or her). Did ya go black, yellow or chocolate? I can second what everyone else has said about training. I am on my first lab and while she is a good "meat" dog, I will definitely seek out professional help training my next dog. I mostly hunt upland, which is something she does well naturally and needed very little training on, but she is in no way ready to go in someone else's boat or blind. I will be working this off season with a pro trainer on a few of the things I was not able to teach well to my current pup, namely force fetching. It was a good lesson for me to learn that I don't know squat about training a dog and most of this coming summer's training will be me learning how to do it right. Spend the money on the training and you won't regret it. I wish I had earlier. Dogs are the very best part of hunting and the best conservation tool you can own. Now that I have one, I cannot imagine life without a dog. Enjoy the puppy time, it goes fast!

16. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Have you considered a Weimeraner?

17. Robert Fyall

Robert Fyall Member

18. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    Good choice, you got the best color and the best breed.
    [​IMG]

19. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Good looking dog Benjy!

20. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    You don't like white dogs?? Hey, my black lab is a special memory. My little white Bichon.....well, never mind.