Hunting Dog

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Robert Fyall, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ribka

ribka Active Member

You enter your Bichon in any field trials ?
    :hmmm:

2. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Vladimir, I love all dogs... partial to the black ones the most perhaps. Does that lil guy actually hunt and retrieve? He looks about the same size as a rooster. If so that is awesome! I'd love to walk out in the field and pull my dog out of my vest and away we go! I have seen some unorthodox hunting dogs before, but you win if thats for real! :thumb:

3. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

I havent read all posts in this thread-however I am glad you went with a lab.
    And thats from a guy who has owned two chessies..
    Top notch breeders are the key with any dog-such as this 7wk old GSP in my lap as I type this.

As a generalality chessies are a one man dog! Period. Both of mine where.. Absolute machines in the ice flows,but stubborn, hardheaded(after awhile they think they know more than you--and probably do). Not the best choice with kids in my opinion...GREAT WATCH DOGS..
    And no they dont want to be a social animal. Its in their old bloodlines, where market hunters after a day of raining birds would use the dogs to guard the hunting shack with gear in it at night..

Truelly amazing dogs, but I wouldnt start out with one unless a breeder/trainer was close by.
    Just my experiences with them..

............danimal.............

4. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    He does hunt. He is a smart dog, but you rapidly reach the area of diminishing returns when the dog is that small.

In tall grass or brush you quickly lose sight of him. Retrieving is a problem. IF you can call a drag a retrieve and you want that bird DEAD otherwise it is a stand-off. Also he has really fine hair which gathers every seed known to man. He is also 10lbs so he can easily become the prey from virtually anything out there. So you really want to keep close track of him.

Hunting a release sites in short grass is fine, but there are not too many of those situations.

Bichon's have been trained as circus dogs for years. They are the ones running around in a circle with the tigers. Over the years I wonder how many of them became LUNCH.

I had a little black lab that had lots of personality. I hunted her with a pointer for four years and then the pointer died two days before hunting season. So on opening day she is running in grass and locks up on point. Never did before....then continued to point the next few birds that held tight. I guess she thought that since the pointer was dead she was responsible now for doing it all.

Later in life, she came to the conclusion that the pointers had a better nose than her. So she watched them and when they started getting birdy she would run over and flush the bird.

yeah, black dogs are special also.

5. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Thats pretty cool Vladimir! I tip my cap to the smallest rooster buster I have ever seen. By the way, I have been following your blog for a while and really enjoy it. Thanks!