Hyrdro Dam proposed on S. Fork Skykomish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottr, Feb 5, 2013.

1. This may be old news but it was new to news to me.

Snohomish PUD has proposed placement of a hydroelectric dam on the South Fork of the Skykomish River near Sunset Falls. If you have ever traveled along Highway 2 or fished the upper Sky you know what a travesty damming this section of the river would be. According to estimates this dam would add about 1% to SnoPUDs total capacity. We already have too many dams and wind factories in this state. We should focus on energy conservation or sell a little less to California before we dam another river.

Please sign the petition here and share this with your fishing buddies.

Direct link to the petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/toni-olson-abandon-the-skykomish-river-sunset-falls-hydro-project

From the web site of the conservation group fighting this proposal

http://www.savetheskyriver.org/

2. Old news here, but a reminder nonetheless.

Sg

3. A friend of mine helped to spearhead the opposition group, but I've not spoken to her in months. This is a good reminder for me to do so.

4. Signed the petition link. Hope that helps.

It's so surprising that this is even a possibility.

5. Be sure to look into the details before jumping in on this one. I'm certainly not for adding any more dams, but this looks like something different, and part of the deal seems to be rebuilding the fish ladder/haul system at sunset falls.

6. Why would there be a fish ladder at Sunset falls? Is it not a natural falls?

J

7. JR,

WDF, now WDFW, built a ladder and trap and haul system around the SF Sky falls in the mid-1950s to give anadromous fish access to the upper basin. In those days, stream habitat inhabited only by resident trout but not salmon, was thought to be going to waste. It likely would not be done today, but was pretty common in days gone by. WDF even stocked juvenile salmon above Snoqualmie Falls to take advantage of habitat that was going to waste producing only resident trout.

The upshot is that anadromous chinook, coho, pink, bull trout, and steelhead all inhabit the upper SF Sky these days.

Sg

8. I'll admit have enjoyed the artificial summer steelhead fishery above sunset falls (WDFW trucks fish from Ringer to SF of the Sky) but there is no way a $150 million dollar dam that only increases power capabilities by 1% is worth getting a fish ladder repaired that never should have been there in the first place. Let's not use antiquated 1950's fishery management practices as an argument for anything conservation related.

9. There's going to be a meeting on March 5th about this proposed dam. Attached is the flyer for anyone interested.

Attached Files:

10. Say what...?

K

Itchy Dog likes this.
  11. You read that right Kent.

12. Ive also ran into a group of dudes up the NF of the sky drilling in the ground for geothermal vents, this was last spring

13. Thanks for the link Scott. Submitted my 2-cents in the recommendation form.

14. I was up there last week and noticed a lot of new signs protesting this dam, so it may be old news, but it seems to be heating up.
    D

15. I just fileld out that reccomendation form.

Your recommendation was received and we'll keep you posted as the amendment process continues. Visit www.nwcouncil.org/amend occasionally for news.
    Recommendation: I reccomend Snohomish PUD not install their stupid ass dam.

Jim Speaker and plaegreid like this.
  16. I just submitted mine.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  17. Sure...tear one down (Elwah) and put one up... hey, we're schizophrenic, or bi-polar (maybe both) what can we say. ;)