NFR I am retired!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Theron, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Theron Active Member

Lincoln, Nebraska
    Ratings: +86 / 0
    I retired yesterday after nearly 36 years. I am going to relax and do nothing for a couple of weeks and then start getting the house ready to put on the market. My wife and I plan to head to Whidbey Island in march and find a place to rent for a few months. We plan the big move for April. Can't wait to get to the PNW.
    retired.jpg
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,171 / 1
    Congrats on your retirement!
  3. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +290 / 1
    Congratulations. You are going to love it! I've been "out" for 18 months after nearly 50 years and am busier doing the things I want to do than I ever was before. Good luck on your move.
  4. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Congrats on your retirement!!

Sounds like you will be having a busy few months. I retired in June of 2005 (can it be that long?) and still am surprised how busy I stay. Of course 5 grandkids (# 6 on the way), two dogs, a large garden (still expanding), an understanding wife and my retirement goal of fishing/hunting 150 to 200 days a year pretty much assure that I'll stay busy.

Curt
  5. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
    Just f'n grand ain't it!
    Hope you can enjoy every day to the fullest and worry free.
  6. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +483 / 0
    Congrats! I jumped ship 3 weeks ago. First I got tired, then retired . . . the "retired" part is hard to beat.
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +168 / 0
    Congrats! If you need a Whidbey contact(s), there are few on this forum.

MB
  8. Theron Active Member

Lincoln, Nebraska
    Yeah, it will take some getting used to retirement. Kind of like "What Day is tomorrow. Saturday. The day after tomorrow? Saturday! The day after that? Saturday!" We hope to pick up a pram for use on Pass and Lone and we have a new Harley picked out to replace our worn out Road King. Gonna be a good ride!
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,407 / 0
    Well welcome to retirement. I retired in 1999. Going on 15 years now. But unless you like to fish alone, that's the way it is. I do a few honeys does now and then. But not much more than that. I don't want to over work myself and not have the strength to throw a few flies around.
  10. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +509 / 0
    Congratulations! May you have a long and healthy retirement...you earned it.

May I ask if you have a defined benefit pension, deferred comp plan, or a combination of the two?

The reason I ask is that many retirees don't fully comprehend what an oddity a pension will become for those who follow, as employers continue to move away from pensions towards deferred compensation. I've seen figures of only about 15% of private sector employers still providing traditional DB pensions (and that's declining), while about 88% of government employers are still offerring DB pensions.

And, finally, welcome to Washington! it's a fine place to live despite what Old Man says.
  11. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    14 years for me, it's a hell of a lot better than working. Union DB plans plus registered retirement savings plans works great for me and my wife.:D
  12. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +509 / 0
    But that's the same work ethic you displayed at the 'Lazy B'! :)
    Old Man likes this.
  13. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +277 / 1
    That's great, I'm happy for you and I can hardly wait to join you ( couple more years). Whidbey will be quite a change from Nebraska, I think you'll like it.

Krusty, I herd somewhere were only 3% of workers in the U.S. have defined benefit pension plans, I'm continually grateful for mine.
  14. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +681 / 1
    Welcome, we'll likely see you on the water. You'll need to hook up with Islander and Jeff Dodd, they're the local gurus on Lone Lake.
    Theron likes this.
  15. Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Enumclaw, WA
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Eleven years now. The best 11 years of my life. I retired early and have not regretted a moment. The time has been worth far more than the extra money.

Jerry
  16. Theron Active Member

Lincoln, Nebraska
    I have a defined benefit pension plus a small 401K that I only started 15 years ago. My wife has a 401K that she has been paying into for close to 30 years. That and Social Security will hopefully help us to survive. We are lucky that we own our current house and have no mortgage, so we are going into retirement debt free. I don't pay much attention to what Old Man says, I think the cold affects his brain. One thing I am going to enjoy here is the forecast for Monday is a low of -10 degrees. I can sit in my chair and look out the window and say "Nope, not going anywhere today." I look forward to fishing in the PNW and will hopefully meet some of you in person after we get settled in the area.
    Alex MacDonald and Eyejuggler like this.
  17. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +887 / 0
    Metcalf, You got it right-money can't replace time. My old man spent every cent he ever had, worked till he was 67 and died at 68, not even a full year of retirement. I learned a lot from that, saved and invested all I could and retired early. The past 13 years have been the best of my life my far and I have more disposable income than I ever had when I was working.

Theron, congrats on retiring my man, a better life awaits you. Get a fast car so you can get off the island when it gets too restrictive, head for the central Washington lakes (called eastern Washington by the rainy side guys) and catch both some sunshine and big fish. See you there, Ive
    Ron McNeal likes this.
  18. Ron McNeal get'n jiggy wid it, for the most part anyway

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Congrats!! You'll soon discover that it's not all that hard......

Good Health and Good Luck!!
  19. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +156 / 0
    Congrats to you and family!

I just made the jump after 22 year USCG and should be retired in July.

Looking forward to it, I know I have to work afterwards to make ends meets but cant wait!

William
    Theron likes this.
  20. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +614 / 1
    Congratulations... plan to join the club in 2016.