I bought a toon...now what?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, May 21, 2013.

1. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Red's offers a class on "How to row a pontoon boat". They use the Yak as a classroom.

2. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Is this what were talking about?. I would take that puppy down the Spokane a couple of time's like someone suggested. Get a good feel for it can and can't do. Just take her for a spin, and were some sort of floatation device. I wouldn't take it down the yac except in low water condition's.

Attached Files:

3. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Yup thats it. Some of you have me second guessing my decision, but its good to hear all this so I can understand a little more about these things. I like freestone's advice to go on a guided float. I get lessons with both the float and the area.

4. That thing looks sketchy

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I would definitely NOT use that on any rivers... thought you were talking about a Bucks Southfork or equivalent. That is really just an upscale float tube -- great for lakes, not for rivers.

6. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

I should take a poll for good idea / bad idea with this tube

7. consensus state bad idea

8. Eric Candelaria

Eric Candelaria Member

I think the best advice is know your boat, know your water. I can see that tube floating parts of the Yak, parts of the year. I can also see thinking it would be better off the upper Yak your experienced and know the water. I would think the lower Yak would not be bad if you had the experience and skill. Great advice to go see an expert. These guides really know their stuff and can be the best source of what to do and not do. I floated the Yak with a guide for two years before purchasing a Klack. The first time out I took the same guide in my boat and had him teach and my wife and I learned a lot. Best way to learn the boat and the water!

9. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Codioos,

I've lived here all my life. I use to "body float" the Spokane with no tube, mattress or PFD. Not saying that was a smart thing, just agreeing with Stewart and Blake.

That being said, sometimes have a floating device can make us over confident, giving us a false sense of security. Know what I mean...?

Try it in the summer with no waders on, or Go with Stewart and/or Blake. If you dump your boat, (in the summer) you get wet and have learned your lesson. (I'm assuming you are fit enough, and can actually swim :p). Do you know how many drunk dudes fall off their tube/matteress and make it back to shore? <- About 99.9% of them. The .1% are dumba$$e$ that can't swim, or are so plastered they should be in bed. Remember, I'm no Olympic swimmer and I managed (with several others) to body float it for miles.

Worst case, get to shore and walk around the rapids.

10. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I never would have recommended that stretch if I thought the risk was high. Here's a pic of the danger I failed to warn you of ;) [​IMG]

11. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, ummm, I would stick to still waters with that "tubetoon!" It does not appear rockered at all and if you have to row hard, it appears the front is going to buckle with some weight on the foot bar, plus you're going to be plowing water on the back side.

12. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Yeah, if you were on a river other than the Spokane, and had to get from one side of the river to the other in a hurry... it could pose a problem in that boat.

13. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

The sad part of this picture is that Spokane County has an ordinance making life jackets mandatory on all moving water.
    It applies to anyone on the water riding an inner tube or any other floating device with tickets starting at $76 yet they
    rarely patrol and enforce it.

14. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

And the irony is that most of the folks I've seen who wear PFDs are experienced looking folks in nice rafts and kayaks. I wear one.

15. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys. After reviewing your insight, I did some research and decided to sell the tube. I put in on CL and it sold almost instantly :eek:. I bought it for a good price and decided to pass that along. I will be looking for an actual framed pontoon this season, but I will charter a guide before I buy one.