I built my wife a birthday present :)

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Alexander, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +289 / 0
    Any excuse I can get to build a rod :) that and she likes to fly fish.

Batson Forecast RX6
    7'6" 2 piece 3wt
    Hard Chrome Single Foot Guides
    Grade A cork (Batson) treated with U 40 Cork Seal
    Rosewood insert
    Nickel Silver hardware
    Size A thread Teal
    Size a Metalic Silver thread
    2 Thin coats of U 40 LS Supreme

Oh and for the name writing I used the technique written about on Global Fly Fisher
    http://globalflyfisher.com/rodbuilding/writing-on-rods/

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Roger Nott Member

Ratings: +18 / 0
    Love it. I've been thinking about a RX-6 maybe in a 6'6" 2wt since I already have rods in 7' glass and 7'6" IM6 both 4 wt. Not a real need for one but hey, I no longer have a rod on a blue blank so.... any excuse for a new rod right?.
    Alexander likes this.
  3. Alexander Fishon

WA
    That RX 6 blank is a real nice coloration. In daylight the color seems to change depending on the way the light hits the rod. Blue, green, purple, aqua marine, it's pretty wild! :). I hear the sub 5wt, 7'6" and shorter cast pretty nice. I'll find out soon once I get a line and reel for it.
  4. Roger Nott Member

Ratings: +18 / 0
    The RX-6 has kind of become the go-to blank for short moderate action creek rods. IM6 rods in that length, wt, action get close to glass. The big boys selling $700 moderate rods gotta hate it.
    Alexander likes this.
  5. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +229 / 3
    I have built several of the rx6 blanks to donate as starter rods for youth activities. They are amazingly nice to cast for the $. I can really see the rapid advancement in your build quality. Great looking wraps and epoxy.
    Alexander likes this.
  6. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Thanks Rob! :)
  7. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    100% true

So Alexander how many rods is this now? You really have a started to make a good rod early on. It took me a while to get the hang of it
  8. Alexander Fishon

WA
    This is my 4th. I'm looking for all kinds of excuses/reasons to build more! I'm having so much fun doing this! I've been offering a bunch of people I know that are looking to buy rods to let me have them build them rods instead, I simply want to gain more experience and time/hrs doing it.

A co-worker just handed me his G-Loomis spin rod (salmon drift rod) and asked me to undo some junk work the guy he bought it from did to it. I'm sitting here and re-did the entire thing and salvaged the reel seat as well (Love YouTube and Rodbuilder.org). I should have taken before pics dangit!

Anyhow I have some serious OCD issues as is, just putting it to good use now! :)
  9. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    I built my wife a 9' 4wt several years ago. I used a fast action purple blank, purple thread and a cool "flo-berry" fuschia colored reel seat by Fly Logic. A real girly rod! This was part of her Christmas present....not overly thrilled. Go figure??
    Jeff Cheng and Jeff Dodd like this.
  10. Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I was starting to think that building my girlfriend a rod would be a good idea and I could learn something!.... but maybe it's not such a good idea for her since she doesn't fish and gets motion sick in any type of boat...hmmm...thanks Steve for bringing me back to reality. Too bad for that dang motion sickness...

Alexander, you're a lucky guy to have a wife who fly fishes with you!
  11. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    My wife Kerri used to fly fish with me more BC.....before child! But now that our son is grown up and married she's become a fair weather fisher or just comes along and goes shopping or reads a book while I fish. She puts up with a lot! Great wife!
    Alexander likes this.
  12. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Well, she doesn't fish with me much anymore (we did more often before we had all 4 kids and lived in MT), but wants to. My kids are 4, 6, 8 and 12 and she is kind enough to support my habit. However, when she can she does and she wants to get out with me more, the more we're able to do so together. :) As a family we enjoy camping so we do a little bit of everything, camp, hike, and fish.
  13. bigtroutchaser Member

High Desert, Central Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    ALEXANDER!

Killer work!!
    Alexander likes this.