I Despise Color Lock!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Alexander, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I'm so friggin' mad right now, spent all this time wrapping this rod, burnishing and making sure all my wraps were nice and tight. Rod looked great to me. Went and applied color lock because I just love how that glistening nylon thread turns out when color lock is applied. So I applied two coats, more than enough for size A thread. I made sure that thread was soaked! Everything looked right, all the thread turned dark like it should when you know it's wet. Then, after the color lock soaks in and dries they thread is back to it's shiny self, maybe a tad darker than before but not too bad. So I'm all excited for how this rod will turn out once the epoxy is applied.

So after I get home from work today I set up, mix up some epoxy and go to town, everything looking good so far, it's laying down real nice, I remove the excess and go over all if it once more to see if I missed anything... and suddenly I see that which I hate to see, you know, that one spot of blotchiness on those wraps, that one spot where you know the epoxy somehow bypassed the color lock and got into the thread.... FAAAAAACK now what? All the other spots looks great, looking just like I expected it to but this one section has that blotch on the bottom, near the feet of one of the guides... WTF!!!

So mad...so much time spent trying to get it right, even re-wrapped some trim wraps I did not like... and now here we are...blotchiness showing on my thread!!!

Why don't they make CP'ed thread that has a nice glisten to it like the nylon does and doesn't have that flat dull look to it... I need a punching bag!!!!!!!:eek::(

2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    or a few drinks.. .FAAAAACK!

3. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Yup. I agree!

4. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

The fish won't care about a blotch.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

5. Mark Kulikov

The fish wont care about a blotch.

6. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    But the people I'm building the rods for do. ;)

So I removed everything and will get down to it once again, this time with color locked thread as opposed to adding my own.

It would have probably not been a huge deal to the person i'm building it for since it was on the bottom of the hook keeper but I can't let that slide...it's just the way that I do stuff. I agree it won't affect performance, but when someone drops coin, they expect it to look right.

I wouldn't pay for a new car with paint defects on it.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I'm with you on this. I build boats and there's no excuse for finish defects, especially when the customer is paying top dollar. Stuff like this is why it's hard to give a firm delivery date on custom orders. Stuff happens at the end.

8. Mark Kulikov

Absolutely.

9. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    Only time I use cp is on a classic twist thread other than that if I'm looking to keep the color I go with prowrap color fast.

10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Matthew, have you ever tried Fish Hawk thread? I've only used the Pac Bay thread in regular Nylon and Stay True... I wonder how the various thread brands vary? I wonder if some are more bright then others. From my experience with Pac Bay thread the Stay True color thread is rather dull, but maybe that's the case with all color locked thread.

11. typhoon

typhoon I fish

NCP thread is significantly less attractive than regular nylon (with or without CP). I use two coats of U40 ColorLock and let dry for 24 hours after last application and have never had blotchiness.

12. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I used two coats as well and did the 24 hr thing as well, the only thing I can think of is thread wrap tightness or packing the thread. I read somewhere on the rodbuilding forum that it has to do with how well the thread is packed or how tight it is packed? Since I can't measure how well it's packed, it will always be a toss up. Seems like I had it right on all the wraps save one (on the 1st half of a 2 piece rod).

and yes, I agree regular nylon has that nice crisp, sheen, with or with out CP. I love the way it looks with CP but dang, the possible hassle just sucks.

I've thought about dipping the thread before hand or finding a way to run it through CP while wrapping to make sure it's soaked on every side but that could get messy! ;)

13. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I am like Matthew and usually just put epoxy over the thread. I really like the translucent look especially on some blanks, it just fades in. I have used NCP thread. I used some red stay true on a matte black blank and it looked great. I have used a few different cp brands including a couple of recipes that I found on line. The best one is Al's cp from Anglers Workshop. The color is as close to natural as I have tested. I take a toot pick when applying cp with the blank vertical and put a drop or drops around the foot of the guide. Then turn it the other way and put the drops in again. Then I put the blank together apply to the outside of the thread wraps. If you do not completely soak around the guide foot it will be a problem every time. I had a problem once early and have not since I apply it that way.

Karry likes this.
  14. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    I normally don't use CP, but when I do with silk I use Al's. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to be sure your hands and tools are clean when you are doing your wrapping. You are doing a lot of index finger and thumb routines with the thread and if you are munching chips, peperoni and beer etc. you might be contaminating (sealing it with grease) your thread with your fingers. If you have something on your finger when you are doing a pack, there is a good chance the CP will have a different effect on the thread there.

This is just a opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Mike