I fished East Delaney in Colorado for 4 days...

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by earlsmith, Jun 17, 2008.

1. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    and the sz 18 zebra midge absolutely labled some huge fish...the night fishing w a wooley bugger striped slow on sinking line was very productive as well..the biggest fish weighed in at 6 lbs 22 inches, we managed about two of those pigs a day.....well worth the trip.
    The wind here comes up at about 11 and blows HARD till about 6pm, so plan your days to fish an early 5 hours, break for brunch and a game of cards and a nap, and get after them again in the evenings. I was lucky enough to have a friend who has this lake dialed in, I have put him on the pink run the last two odd years on the Snohomish and this was payback time, LOL...it was an incredible trip, and tested my 5 wt many times =)

Tight Lines

Earl

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Very, very nice. I hit the September callibaetis hatch there a couple years ago and had an epic couple days. Some lakes are just textbook fly water.

Did you venture over to the north lake for night time brown fishing? Those big north delaney fish cruise the shore for damsel nymphs as well.

Someday I'll get back there . . .

3. JE

JE Active Member

The Delaney lakes are a lot of fun. My brother took me out there last spring and we had a ball, east was a lot more willing in terms of numbers - we hit the callibaetis hatch and there were big cutthroat rising throughout the day. I broke off an enormous brown on north fishing a chironomid off of an indicator from shore sitting in a lawn chair. That thing looked a good 3 feet long. Glad you had fun, I hope to go back soon.
    -JE