I found a DEAD (HUMAN) BODY at the Puyallup today.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by South Sound, Oct 12, 2008.

1. South Sound Member

North Tacoma
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So I am working my way down this great drift near Sumner. I had just caught a fish and I called Nick to basically rub it in his face. As I worked my way further down the run, I saw a guy up on the high bank. He was lying down but it kindof looked like he was standing up because people have fished from that bank and it is very steep. As I moved closer I realized he was lying down. I yelled at him to see if he was alright because is was not the type of place you would fall asleep. He did not respond and then I started to rationalize this must be a scarecrow or something. I could not cross due to deep water all the way along the far bank. As I worked my way closer, I could see socks, shoes, and a belt. At that point I yelled to the 2 other guys who were fishing up river. They came down and I told them that I think I found a dead body. I asked if there was a way to cross and they said no. At that point I called 911. The police were out there in 3-5 min flat on both sides of the river. I guided the police on the far bank and he shouted out that the body had a noose around his neck. That was all I had heard from the police about the body. The police on the other side took my info and I just got a message stating that I needed to call them back to answer some additional questions. CRAZY stuff. My wife always joked that one day this would happen. Now that it has it is more sureal and or unreal than anything.
  2. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    Not to be negative, but this is a very unsatisfactory fishing report: There's no detail given about the fish! What species? How big? How did it fight? What kind of fly did you use? Make it worth our time to read!
  3. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    Wow, I have feared that oneday I would run across a dead human at some point in my life while fly fishing. Its better that you were not on the far side of the river since you would have seen an image that would have been imprinted in your mind for a long time. It would not have been too bad if the person died of natural causes but in this case, you came across a murder scene. Scary......
  4. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    It is weird. I have seen three people die while fishing. All separate times. I think I fish to much, is my only reasoning.
  5. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Sounds like a suicide if there was a noose... Sad to say that with the economic downturn Im sure that this type of stuff will keep the police busy for the months to come.

Did you happen to see if his feet were still attached? Perhaps that was another foot that washed on some beach. Sorry folks... had to throw that one out there again.
  6. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
  7. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Or perhaps a mooching rig for cut plug body.
  8. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    death is not a joke, children.

sorry you stumbled into this situation, that had to be somewhat tramatic for'yah. glad you followed up and got the PD involved so quickly. thanks for being a responsible citizen, we needs lots more of 'you.'
  9. Pete Bridge Member

Lake Tapps, Wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Crazy, thats close to home for me. I live just up the hill from there. Still curious about the fish though?
  10. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +517 / 2
    Yes, it can be. After all, sometimes laughter is the only way to deal with an awful situation.

Some deal with death by crying, some deal by laughing, some deal by drinking. To each their own.
  11. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Wow, I am surprised and disappointed by how a few few of you thought this was an appropriate opportunity to exercise your sense of humor. You've obviously not felt the sting of death of a loved one or close friend in your lives.
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,544 / 9
    I've had way too much experience with dead bodies. The last thing I want is to come across one on my day off on the river. If seeing a dead body is new to you, consider how it will affect you and keep your support structure of family and friends close. Death is never a funny thing, even when listed in the "Darwin Awards". Like Yellowlab said, it could be a suicide based on the economic down turn and that would be terribly sad if that were the case.
  13. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Yes, that is why there are over 31,000,000 google results for "humor to deal with death", why death humor shows up in works as old as Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet (when Mercutio is slain), and why Sigmund Freud has written on the subject.

People deal with things in their own way. some post on the internet, some go to grief counseling, and some make jokes. The problem is when you go one place and expect another. This is an internet forum, it is equally as legitimate for the jokers to post as it is for the grief counselors.

Remember, Oscar Wilde's last words before dying were "My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death; one or the other of us has got to go."
  14. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    As an "old" medic I have seen more than my fair share dead bodies. You may need to talk with someone to work through this. We use to call it a debriefing in the old days. But, working through this with a professional will help prevent PTSD (Post Tramatic Stress Disorder) Posting on here about your experience was good. Talk about it and work through it but don't bury it. If you need help, contact the local police or fire department and ask them for places to find a good PTSD counselor.

Keith
  15. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    What! Where's your source on that O.W. quote?..I thought that line was a short time (a few weeks) before his death and was more a long the lines of," either this wallpaper goes, or I do."

..I'll be damned if I can remember where I read it though :D
  16. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    There are three common variations quoted. No idea which is the real one, but the point is the same for all:

• My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death; one or the other of us has got to go.
    • These curtains are killing me, one of us has got to go.
    • Either the wallpaper goes, or I do.
  17. LG Mix New Member

Near the border
    Wise words. Take care of yourself. You have friends here.
    -- Larry
  18. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Hope you didn't get a good look at em', cause if you did, it will stick in your mind for an eternity and make you sick to your stomach for months!

IE; my buddy dared me to watch a Terrorist "beheading" video couple years ago and I tell you what, I was sick to my stomach for months and couldn't get the thought out of my head forever, a feeling I never thought I had!

Call the authorities first then walk away if you can and don't bother to smell either! .
  19. Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Steelhead Central
    Thats always a sad thing to come across... My sister and brother in law were taking a walk along the skagit and found a floater face down in the river. A lady. Apparently she was a transient. She had passed out on the bank of the river and just rolled right in. Sad thing.... And horrid to find.
  20. Mark Moore Just a Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    I watched an F-14 crash into a house in 1997 and was the first person to actually see the crash to arrive at the scene. It leveled the house to foundation and left a hole in the front yard 30 ft. in diameter. I didn't know until the next day there were three people in the house. The pilot and his RIO where still in there ejection seats in the back yard.

I still see those scenes frequently in my mind and every so often a plane will catch my eye the wrong way and it will really weird me out.

Talking it through with a pro is a good idea.

I am sure the family is grateful for your efforts.