I found a DEAD (HUMAN) BODY at the Puyallup today.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by South Sound, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

You'd be correct if the people making light of this incident had actually seen the body and had something traumatic to "deal with". But they didn't see the body, so what are they dealing with? I think the more likely explanation is that they wanted to be base smart-a$$es cloaked behind the annonymity of an internet chat board.

2. dpiscator

dpiscator www.jjsjigs.com

As a medic as well, I have encountered a lot of death. Some in bizarre ways... humor in death or.. 'gallows humor' is a standard acceptable form in Emergency Medical Services. I partake in 'gallows humor' as a mechanism of coping with daily terrible events. I lived on Fairchild AFB in the mid 1990's and was present at the B-52 crash into the USAF Survival School as well as the shooting at the FAFB Base Hospital only a week later (as well as one of the first documented high school shootings at Moses Lake).

Crappy as it may be, non-politically correct as some comments on this thread.... humor in death is OK. Anyway to mentally cope with physical and emotional trauma without being destructive to oneself or others is a good thing.

If you don't like humor in death. Don't continue reading this thread. 'Nuff said.

3. Loopy

Loopy Member

Has anyone checked to see if there is a possible pollution pronlem here?

:eek:

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I saw a dead body once and it has stuck in my memory for the rest of my life. In 1944 when my dad moved us to Washington from Wisconsin I saw what was left of a man that was hit by a train. He wasn't mangled anything like that but he was dead. I still remember what he looked like to this day.

Why is it something like that stays with you all your life.

And we all treat death in different ways. Me, I don't like to see it. So I don't go to any funerals. Somebody dies, I stay home.

Jim

5. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Media:
    In Cheney, when I was in college, I stayed at a little motel for half a year, down by the train tracks. And one day there was a guy who was stumbling around, I could tell he was wasted. This wasn't an unusual thing for the motel; there were some strange birds there... The tracks were about 40 yards away. So I didn't think a thing about it and continued back to my place to relax a bit. About an hour later I heard a train go by and a little after that I saw all these flashing lights coming through my blinds. The locomotive engineer said the guy walked on the tracks and stood with his arms crossed and got nailed; not much was left of him, only bits and pieces. The guy left a note of how he couldn't go on living after his recent divorce. So he bought an 18 pack of Bud, and did himself in. Wish I would have paid more attention to the drunken stumbler...

6. dpiscator

dpiscator www.jjsjigs.com

Paid more attention to the drunk stumbler on the RR tracks?

Why? To see if he had any beer left?

In my years of serving as a medic I have learned this... when someone really wants to commit suicide... they will. It won't matter if someone tries and stops it. If you would have successfully stopped his suicide dance with a Burlington Northern engine and he really wanted to die... He'd fill out a dance card on the tracks the very next day. Or perhaps find another suicide plan that inadvertantly hurt or killed innocent bystanders as well as himself. Let 'em die. Just like IV drug users who OD. Ya think they will stop using? Nope. Let 'em OD. They know they are injecting poison into them... they know the possible risks and outcomes. F'em. Someone will call 911 and then us medics get to pump 'em full of Narcan and wake 'em up so they can do it again. Such a vicious cycle of filth. It's maddening. Sorry for the rant. I'm a jaded medic today. I need to go fishing. :beathead:

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

No, probably too early for that. I'd try a maggot imitation first. Just downstream. Fished close to the bank. I have a good pattern called the "bank maggot.":rofl:

8. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    4 years ago while scouting the upper sky I saw what I thought was a body under water at the Money Creek Bridge, people were fishing all around and could not see what I saw, I kept scouting upstream, with that on my mind I went back to the bridge ten min later, a forest svc truck came to the bridge, I flagged him down to have him look, he told me "I dont have time, we are looking for a lost boy in the river". 5 minutes later the bridge was roped off and I was there with the EMS units. I asked them where water rescue was, they replied it was volunteer and they were on vacation. Having completed swiftwater rescue the year before in Idaho I offered my help. 5 minutes later I was setting ropes and leading the volunteer crew for the rescue, it took ten more minutes before we were set and I was diving for the boy. 12 feet down in 42 degree water we finally pulled the boy up. It was a 12 year old boy that was trying to save his younger brother after he slipped in the river. Not just a sight that will live with me forever, but an experience.
    The following year during run off in MT, I found myself in almost the exact situation, remote river system, volunteer EMS staff, no swiftwater rescue. Again, 5 minutes later I was setting ropes and leading the rescue efforts, a 44 year old man, overboard, swamped waders. in both cases they were recovery not rescue. Yet another experience that I can still see as clear as the day it happened. It becomes surreal in thought, but I know I was there in each case and maybe writing this eases me a tad or those that may experience such a thing in the future.

SAK

9. South Sound

South Sound Member

It seems surreal (sp) to me. I guess that is why I kept rationalizing different explanations and trying to talk myself out of what in my gut I knew was a body. People keep asking how I am doing and it really has not hit me yet. It was at a bit of a distance and I did not see the guy's face. Somehow that made a difference for me. Either that or I am still in denial. Thanks everyone for the support. I am fine as long as denial doesn't wear off. I always thought that one day this might happen. We are out in the most remote parts of Washington and trailblazing all the time. I just did not think it would happen in the highly populated area in Sumner where I was fishing.

10. WT

WT Member

It's the almost dead ones that really stick with you. Either way, no one likes to be reminded of that whole mortality thing.
    WT

11. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    may i ask what portion of the puyallup river in sumner it was... I fished about a mile long portion of the river between the sumner orting highway bridge and mama stortini's (Main Street) from about 330-530pm... just wondering if I fished the same area yesterday. There are many homeless camps and tents in the woods along many areas in sumner...and I have always anticipated finding something like that in these areas.

12. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I worked as a medic for 7 1/2 years. I saw so much in that time. The ones I had the hardest time getting over was the gunshot wounds and really bad auto accidents. I develop quite dislike for people who drink and drive. Drinking and driving don't mix!

Anyway, who was the guy and was the death a homicide, suicide or accidental? Any particulars, sometimes knowing the reason and why helps work through the situation.

Keith

13. wolverine

wolverine Member

I wasa Navy Seabee in Vitnam in 1966. We were building a hard roof hospital to replace tents for the Marines north of Danang. I soon learned to dread seeing helicopters coming in with their lights on as that meant wounded on board. One day it was a steady stream of choppers coming in and we (Seabees) were pressed into service as litter bearers. We were heading back to the landing pad when a litter crew coming towards us slipped and dropped a wounded marine. The marine had a terrible abdomen wound and they had strapped his hands across his stomach to hold his intestines in. When he hit the ground his intestines spilled out into the dirt. I don't know if if the kid made it thru or not. All I can still see is a blond haired kid that looked to be way too young to be there laying in the dirt with his guts on the ground. A lot of us non combatants grew up during the next month as we built out the base. War is not pretty when you see its aftermath in the wounded, dead, and dying. I always laugh at whiny internet fishermen who don't have a clue about what really happens in rhe real world.

14. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    $hit!!! that would be wild!!

15. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    man, this is one hell of a thread.
    A lot of things I've seen and done spring to mind; death, blood and near misses. My own blood and that of others, some innocent and some not.
    Thanks, South Sound, for starting a kickass thread and for sharing your experience.
    What for the future? Well, every time you close your eyes for awhile the image will pop up on the screen, and it may get intrusive at times. For most people, this will pass but there's an uncomfortable transition period. Which is why you talk to people you trust and seek professional help if the symptoms become intrusive, if you begin losing sleep or decompensating in ways like booze, drugs, etc.
    Lots of guys who post in these pages have seen some real shit and for that reason have values that lead them into fishing... because they know how short and fragile our lives really are, and not in a philosophical way.
    Sounds like a good reason to go wet a line.:beer2:

My regards and deepest respect going out to the veterans, EMTs etc who posted on this.

16. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Media:
    In the early '70's my cousin and I were fishing at Pineview Reservoir in Utah and found a partially submerged body, turned out to be a drowning victim they had never found. It really freaked us both out for a long time. PTSD was in it's infancy as a diagnosis back then, but the nightmares we both had went away after awhile. Point being don't think this won't affect you on some level, talking to someone is a good idea.

17. South Sound

South Sound Member

I parked down river from the Old Cannery and walked in. I am not familiar with the river. I am told the guy was behind Safeway on the other side and near the new condos, if that helps. There is a bridge further down river I believe.

18. WT

WT Member

On the other hand, if it doesn't affect you that's okay too.
    Have good fishing,
    WT

19. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    ok gotcha i know that stretch... i was up river from there about 3/4 mile... you were just downstream of the confluence of the white and puyallup rivers.

20. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    That doesn't sound like much fun. When i was a kid sixteen or so I used to ride medic one out of harborveiw with my old man and I saw some gnarly sh*t. The body that haunts my mind still today was not seen riding the rig but was the open casket viewing of my friend Jeff Starr that was shot in Iraq. I needed to go say good bye to him but that picture is burned in my subconscious to this day. Death is never easy and is always someones loss.