I have a 1500 word essay for college about the issues surrounding wild steelhead..

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jeremy Floyd, May 8, 2007.

1. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

In my Oceanography class we have to do an informative essay as if we were briefing a senator on an issue. I need unbiased facts and no opinions. I also need several sides of the issue .

I choose the issues surrounding wild steelhead habitat etc and the hatchery issue etc. I know there is a ton of info but if anyone has some helpful links that can point me in the right direction for this I would really appreciate it.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I have a 1500 word essay for college about the issues surrounding wild steelhead.

Jeremy,

Todd, Smalma, and I have written quite a bit on this site and in similar discussions of the steelhead listing at Piscatorial Pursuits and Gamefishin website bulletin boards. You can find a lot of facts to sift through. There is a mix of facts and opinion; I think it is usually pretty easy to discern which is which.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I have a 1500 word essay for college about the issues surrounding wild steelhead.

Don't forget to ask the Tribes what they feel are the important issues too.

By federal law they are the Co managers of our fisheries.

www.nwifc.org

4. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I only have room for about 8-10 paragraphs so that means with an opening and closing paragraph I can cover about 6 of the toughest issues. I am also allowed to have as many pictures graphs etc as I want also.

Any help or comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys that have already posted.

5. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I would definitley try and talk to a tribal resource manager. You'll probably get a lot of good info. For a ecosystem management class I'm taking we had a tribal resource manager for the swinomish tribe talk to us; it was really interesting. There is a lot of habitat stuff going on with tribes. Other than that, you'll be able to get plenty from databases like proquest or JSTOR. I wouldn't rely on a discussion board for your facts.

Derek

6. TomB

TomB Active Member

how bout starting with real research- as in use a research database like biosis or web of science to find peer-review articles....if you can find review papers, they will have more general information and be easier to read than studies.

-T

7. Todd Ripley

Todd Ripley New Member

Jeremy, if you are allowed to use a bunch of pics and graphs, check out the Wild Steelhead Coalition website...there are lots of charts and graphs there...

http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com

Fish on...

Todd

8. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member