I just had to laugh!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kaiserman, May 18, 2013.

1. Like probably most of you, I'm a river guy. However, until the rivers get into shape for wading, I like to hit a couple local lakes. So, that's what I did Thursday.

When I got there, the fish were everywhere. Taking chironomids just below the surface, or crashing the top taking the adults. By the time I got set up, (I don't fish chironomids by the way) the action on the surface was so intense, I just had to take it all in by simply just watching what was happening all around me.

I've been fly fishing for 27 years now, and I'm not sure I've seen such aggressive action on a lake. As I watched, it seemed that the fish weren't even thinking twice about what they were going to take. If it was on the surface, they were going to get it before the next fish did. I got to thinking... I bet I could put on a dry fly and catch these fish! So I looked into my arsenal... yeah, left my dry flies at home. :mad:

That's not even the funny part!

Years ago, in a similar situation, I've learned to put a few different flies in each on my boxes. Example: My streamer boxes have a few small nymphs, my dry fly boxes have a few streamers, and so on. That way, should I forget one of my key boxes, I have "a few" of this or that. Turns out, the three boxes I had with me that day... only had one dry fly. Again -> :mad:

However, it was a grey mayfly size 14! I thought, "I'm in the game now!"

I tied on the May Fly, gave it the tug test, I was set. Now, do you ever get those feelings like "Hmm... maybe I should double check that knot."? Well, I did get that feeling. I was into my third false cast when it hit me: "Dude, check that knot again." Too late. By the completion of my third false cast, into the next, I heard that really bad sound. That sound when there's no fly on the end of your tippet, you know the one, "SNAP, SNAP".

I turned around and saw my fly sitting ten feet from my boat. Before I could say "oh bugger", it was gone....swallowed up by a big 'ol beautiful Rainbow.

Well, as it turns out, that would have been a pretty good fly to use. All I could do was laugh at myself. Then I cried a little bit inside. :D

Irafly, Rob Ast, Thom Collins and 4 others like this.
  2. But how did you day go otherwise??

And my friends give me $*$& for carrying just about every fly box that could remotely be possible when I'm out. Fly boxes spill out of the two front pockets of my Bucs Bronco. Yet, this extravagance has been valuable in the past. I was fishing Coldwater Lake in August two years ago when there was an emergence of moths (forest tent caterpillars) that had spent the summer engorging on leaves. Whenever a moth hit the water, the fish crushed it. I didn't have any moth flies (then.....), but I did have a few stimulators for golden stonefly adults. They were close enough and set off a day of explosive takes as fish rocketed up from 10+' to grab the fly.

And you always have to have some ants for the every two-three years when you're there during a hatch. And then there's water boatmen...

Steve

3. Steve... not so great (that day). Lost 2, missed 3, and only got 3 to the net.

Two weeks before that, I put 34 fish to the net, lost 11, and missed 4. The damsel nymphs were just starting to grow, so I was able to absolutely hammer them that day. Two weeks later, not so much.