I Love The Cast!!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by David Prutsman, Apr 6, 2013.

1. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    I have not posted on this forum in quite a while; since moving to Colorado. Fly fishing hasn't been as big a part of my life as it has in the past, and I have just recently understood why. The Colorado style of fly fishing is very different than what I experienced growing up in Washington. High stick nymphing with ultra small flies on small streams very rarely requires more than ten feet of line pass beyond the rod tip. I would be surprised if the average Colorado fly fisher could consistently toss 20 feet of line and do so accurately; most have never heard of a double haul.

A co-worker approached me the other day with a 7'6'' three weight he had never used because he had no one to mentor him in the way of the fly. We went out onto the lawn behind the firehouse and I proceeded to show him how a proper loop should look. It wasn't long before this unfamiliar rod and I found harmony. Together, with a perfectly timed double haul, we were shooting nearly the entire length of the line across the yard. It was difficult, but I handed the rod back to it's owner. After about 20 minutes he was consistently tossing 30 feet of line. I let him be to figure some things out on his own, and as I watched him go through the motions of trial and error I realize just how much I love casting a fly rod.

If catching fish were illegal, I would be content casting imaginary flies on any given body of water. It is the cast defines fly fishing for me, not the fly. It is peaceful, beautiful and serene; my favorite part of the fly fishing experience. I miss the Northwest, it's opportunities for big water, long casts and the swing; oh the swing! I suppose I owe many thanks to those who introduced me to fly fishing. Namely my 9th grade math teacher, Jeff Hale, who taught me to tie my first bugger 16 years ago. Because of this, I now pass my joy of casting a fly rod on to others.

Cheers

HAWK YEAH!!!
  2. The Dude Member

SW WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Not all the water in CO is small, there are plenty of big rivers to fish. Try the Animas, and the Gunnison and the like.
    Dustin likes this.
  3. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Though very good fisheries the Animas and Gunnison are small in comparison to many NW waters.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,556 / 0
  5. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +634 / 2
    There is a solution! Lakes and big trout!
  6. chewydog Active Member

Golden, Colorado
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Been a while since I've read such a load of condescending tripe.
    The Dude likes this.
  7. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    I learned to fly fish in Colorado and have fished many rivers that I only wish were within a 2 hour drive of Seattle. It seems to me that the popular section of the South Fork of the Platte is mostly fished with very small nymphs, but that certainly isn't the norm for Colorado rivers.

D
  8. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Please, don't get me wrong; Colorado is home to some amazing fisheries as well as some phenomenal fisherman! It's just a little different style than grew up with. Because I prefer one style to the other does not mean that one is better. Just so happens I tend to fish many of the reservoirs around here to get my fix for big flies, big casts and big fish.
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I'd get a 8wt and go for wipers on those reservoirs. A friend of mine fished for them last summer. When the wiper bite was off they switched gears and got some 3-5 lb largemouth and 2 lb crappie. The joke was that the crappie were bigger than the bass we catch in Washington.
  10. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    If you love to cast, then I hope you are at least dabbling in bamboo and modern glass rods. if not, do it!
  11. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    I can't say that I do. You think bamboo and glass rods are something I would enjoy? Any recommendations for a bamboo rod manufacturer? I am vaguely familiar with Wright and McGill....
  12. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Oh boy, it's a whole new world. For starter Boo I would play with some 7' - 7' 1/2 orvis rods. In a couple of year's your going to have to have some Lenard's. Life will be all about the cast and you will be poor. Welcome to the club.
  13. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Mark gives good advice on picking an Orvis. Pick anything between a 7' 4wt to 7.5' 5wt and you'll be set. Go shopping here: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=97 The main Clark's forum is also a great place to just learn about makers and tapers.

For glass (my favorite material), I highly recommend you try a modern rod. This is the golden age of glass, and lots of guys and companies are making great new glass rods. I recommend starting with rods from Steffen Brothers, Scott, Cabelas (their house brand glass is cheap and really good), Diamondglass. Besides buying direct from the maker or sued on Ebay, you can find good used ones here: http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=6220095a519ae32d6d3d63e9ffe9309c
  14. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    I believe that we have some bamboo rod builders here on the forum.
    Take a look at the Bamboo forum.

Mike Monsos comes to mind.
  15. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Here's Mike Monsos' website: http://monsosrods.com/

I've cast two of his rods and they perform very well and look very nice!
  16. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Thanks for the leads, gentleman! I have been wanting a 4wt dry fly rod for a while, but never gave much consideration to bamboo until now. I tend to be a traditionalist in a lot of ways, so I have no doubt I would enjoy bamboo.
  17. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +634 / 2
    If you like casting you could look into what it takes to be a certified casting instructor through the federation of fly fishers.

The casting test has all kinds of different casts that need to be performed! I did this one winter practicing in the park all winter long, not that I wanted to be certified but thought it was neat to learn all the casts.

Also learning single-hand spey casting and trick casts, making your own cast and working in 360 degrees and casts in all directions. I also did this a couple winters ago, you can look up trick cast on you tube to try and make up your own!

There is also distance casting competition to look up and see how you would measure up for distance and watch videos of distance casters and the rods and lines they use.

If you like casting "like me" it was fun to study all these aspects of fly fishing and do what I could with all the information I could gather about competition in the fly fishing world. doesn't mean you have to compete, just have fun with it and it will make you a better caster or show you how little you may know about the casting world like it did me! a lot of things we do while fishing is just a no thought thing when we have fished for years and think we are a good caster. doing them all correct and learning what the competition world considers correct and doing them perfect is a whole different world! from circle mends, to hook casts, to helicopter single spey casts, to snake rolls! I am not a spey fisherman, but the single spey casts help your normal fishing and add that much more to your quiver so to speak.

Doing these "casting practices" was a blast and I learned a lot about the "fly casting world"