I Must Be Doing Something Wrong

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Rob Allen, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Because I have no problem whatsoever doing single speys with my 540 compact skagit and 12 feet of t-14 on a fast action rod and a big heavy fly.. People say you have to use a sustained anchor and a specialized double spey or snap tee.... so what am I doing wrong??? i mean besides proving that you don't need a soft rod and a sustained anchor to throw a lot of junk with extreme ease.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I throw Skagit line almost exclusively and use the single spey cast a lot. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do this. Thanks Rob. Now, everytime I do a single I will be so self conscience I will likely look around to see if anyone is watching.:confused:

3. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I would think 12" of t-14 would be plenty of anchor, then add a big heavy fly?. Hard to not get some line stick no matter what you are doing with that. Might be a little different with a summer small fly and a floating tip?

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, I don't use T-14, but I single Spey with a Skagit head and sink tip when the water is suited to it. Then again I'm sort of a duffer Spey caster, or Skagit caster, so I just sorta' blunder my way through it. It can actually be one of my better casts.

Sg

5. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Ive done that with a `12' 6" 6wt Batson- 375 Skagit short 10' t14, wieghted leach.

For max distance I single spey the head and tip and then pick it up and switch cast it right back out to shoot line. Kind of like a perry poke using a single spey instead of the poke.

Is that called a double single? Sure works good.

6. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    hey, whatever works! dogma is for the small-minded.
    I single and snake roll big junk all the time. At least till the wind comes up.

shotgunner likes this.
  7. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Obviously your line doesn't know it's a Skagit head.. was probably raised with a clutch of Scandis under the watchfull eyes of a platinum blonde mother hen.

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    pretty close, it's an SGS Skandit:D
    The line nanny, Olga Hurrlsson raised them up to be open-minded

9. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Any decent caster can use a lighter weight Skagit for a given rod (over 500gr) and throw t14 and weighed flies with the "touch and go" style of casting.

A heavier weight line and the Sustained Anchor style with the same rod will give the caster an entirely different feel - I'm guessing you wouldn't be throwing the same casts if your line was a 640gr instead of 540 on that rod.

Skagit casting and sustained anchor do allow one to use lighter rods (with comparitively heavier Skagit lines) to throw large weighted flies. But, if you like longer heavier rods, you can also throw your heavy junk and T14 on a long belly line. Lots of choices depending on what a caster likes.

I'm not pro or anti-Skagit or Sustained Anchor, just curious what you're trying to prove?

10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Just trying to say that what is being portrayed as the right way to do things is not the right way it is only one way.

Since we are on the topic I believe that it is wrong to just keep adding line weight until a rod feels the way you want it to, that's how broken rods happen. The right way is to consult the manufacturer as to the right line and usage of a rod is before you buy it then use the rod as prescribed by the manufacturer.

For instance the rod I was using is 11'5" for a 7wt the 540 matches it perfectly were I to load it up with a 630 the top end would be massively overloaded and on the verge of breaking on every cast because it was not designed to carry that much weight much less to carry that much weight and still be expected to dig that sink tip out of the water..
    if you want to throw 630 safely for your rod you need a 9wt. that said line weights on spey rods means pretty much nothing therefore go with the manufacturers recommendation.

I also am neither pro or anti sustained anchor people can cast as they please my point is that a sustained anchor is not necessary and for myself i see no advantage in it . Also based on the little sustained anchor casting I have done lining up is not necessary.

The proper way to choose a spey rod:
    1. evaluate the size of the fish you plan to target
    2. evaluate the size of the rivers you plan to fish
    3. determine the style of line you want to throw
    4 determine the size of fly and sink tip you want to fish
    5. determine the conditions under which you will be landing fish
    6. Pick the heaviest rod reasonable for your situation ( you should be able to turn a steelhead at will after the initial run)

the wrong way is to pick the size of rod you want to fish then do whatever you have to do to make that work. that's how rods get broken and how fish get overstressed.

James Waggoner likes this.
  11. speyforsteel

speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Silly silly silly.
    Everyone knows that a triple poke deluxe skagit wombat cast is a much more efficient use of time and energy.

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

One thought comes to mind vis a vis a 'sustained anchor' is quite a few folks actually don't wait long enough for the 'tip' to actually sink enough. Getting some tips on casting a new (to me) Skagit head and the one thing Jim drilled into me was WAIT until the front end of your floating section is actually being pulled under water. At that point your tip will be close to a couple feet underwater. Idea being (per Jim) is when that short heavy head comes around (ala a double spey) it has a hell of a sustained anchor!

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Ya, you're doing something wrong. You may be the only one in this site that knows how to cast.

14. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:

touch and go on skagit lines ... smooth and gentle

15. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I see your triple poke deluxe skagit wombat cast and raise one snap x,y,z quadruple poke skagikomish ekidna cast.

16. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Last week I fucked around and got a triple double.

Sean Beauchamp likes this.
  17. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    K
    Wait.... What?