I need better Marabou..

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by PatrickH, Oct 20, 2013.

1. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Media:
    Where can I find this Marabou or what type is this?
    I got some from 3 different places.
    1 has no life to it and takes about 8 feathers to make a big tail. (Ebay Skin Patch)
    2 is straight with no fluff to it and has a damage strip in the middle of the sweet spot.. (Cabela's strung)
    3 is too short and too fluffy and has not much fluff control.. (WB Marabou Hareline)
    What I need and I am looking for is what you see in these pictures attached.
    Is there a special name for this type or a special brand?

1403055_447602018690394_889455129_o.jpg 1072359_447602115357051_1181969884_o.jpg

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Support your local fly shop.

Olive bugger likes this.
  3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I primarily use blood quill marabou and avoid the strung stuff. The blood quill is normally the most consistent. However, as you have found, all marabou isn't the same and if you do not have access to a local fly shop so you can look at the product, I've found that Barlow's Tackle Shop online sells a strung marabou that is excellent... which is a bit odd because they are primarily a spin fishing retailer.

Also, if there is no fly shop in your area but there is a fabric and craft shop, check out their feathers. Sometimes, craft shops sell very good marabou that is quite inexpensive.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  4. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    get Fish Hunter marabou its available in most shops in western wa.

5. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

Joann's Fabrics sells 6' strings of Marabou in 4 or 5 colors for $4.99 per string.

Alpine4x4 and PatrickH like this.
  6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Long strung marabou is what I use. Feathers run 5-7" long. Spirit River is carried in my local shop. I also like Jay Fair and Stillwater Solutions brands long marabou. Strip the fibers off the stem and tie in them in along the full length of the hook.

Dottiesdad and PatrickH like this.
  7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yup, that's what I was thinking about. Sometimes the marabou is packaged. I have some that I bought years ago from Craft World. It came in a large package, good stuff and a color of brown I've never found elsewhere... plus, dirt cheap.

I spend a lot of time wandering around fabric and craft stores looking for tying materials. It's amazing what you can find.

weiliwen, plaegreid and Thom Collins like this.
  8. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:

Makes sense; there are a few spinners and pinners that tie their own marabou jigs.

+1 on the craft store searching. I go to those places more than my girlfriend.

9. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

10. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Media:
    Well, I just went to 6 different craft stores in my area and no one has good marabou or feathers.. Michaels had some that only came in White, Bright Green and Bright Red and it was just a seasonal item for Christmas..
    So yeah.. I guess next is to shop around the fly tying stores.

11. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    If I lived in Snohomish County I'd go to my local Sporting Goods store and paw thru their stock of Marabou. Teds Sporting Goods, Avid Angler and that store in Mill Creek first come to mind. Check the supplies out first hand and if you don't find what you like, try another store.

There's an abundance of stores in your area.

12. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

I bought a 6' boa in black at the Joann's Fabrics in Mount Vernon yesterday. Since my mom was a home economics teacher I have more time in fabric stores than most women. Doesn't bother me a bit to shop there. The clerk who was at the register said that her father does the same thing.

13. the central oregonian

the central oregonian Member

I buy ALL my tying materials at local shops, but I am lucky in that I have a lot of choices. I like to inspect before I buy. Like Gene generally speaking I buy blood quills for bugger tails. I also use Stillwater solutions brand marabou, I personally like to strip or trim the hair then tie on with the Stillwater solutions marabou as its super long..

14. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I reccomend Fish Hunter brand Spey Blood Quills. That shit is dope as far as marabou goes. Way better then the Hareline or Wapsi blood quills I've used in the past.

15. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Media:
    Here is some Stillwater Solutions Long Marabou. This one seems to be pretty good if you find the right feather in the batch. Not all feathers look like this.
    Hareline just seems to be really fine and stiff with not much webbing. The Woolly Bugger Hareline is so webby it's like using a bunch of little light feathers.. All these will work, but just not the look I am trying to get.

IMG_1175.jpg

16. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Alright tails down...now work on the hackles:)

17. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, I need a softer all black hackle, but not sure what that would be? This 2 tone Bugger Pack is annoying me..

18. PT

PT Physhicist

You can open the material bags at Ted's to find the string you want. I'm guessing you have plenty of good material right there in the stuff you already own. Not every feather is going to be tying material. And, sometimes I use parts of certain feather that will make the perfect tail. It's not always just the tip section of a feather that has perfect properties for a bugger tail. One of the reasons I didn't like shopping at Swede's was because his materials were packaged in a way that you couldn't inspect them. And, if you did, he wasn't a real happy man.

You're also going to have to fish them a bunch to find out which the trout like best. My idea what a perfect tail is can be different from what the fish have in mind.

Not an example of the perfect tail, just a suggestion about using the material.

m1.JPG m2.JPG

19. PT

PT Physhicist

As for the hackle on your bugger. Don't always tie it in by the tip. Sometimes you have to start farther up the feather so you get more of the webby fibers as you're palmering it on.

h.JPG

20. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Media:
    Thank you for the pictures. That was my biggest issues with the hackle I been using is that it's way too stiff and more like dry fly hackle. I will try what you posted by not tying in the stiff tip barbs and tying in farther down where it's softer.
    With the marabou, I been using all the side feathers lately to get more of a soft flowing tail. Harder to find good tips then it is finding good side feathers. Longer marabou feathers seem to be working better for this. The "woolly bugger marabou" is just too short for a nice long tail.
    I will tie some more with the suggestions you posted, thanks :)