I need better Marabou..

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by PatrickH, Oct 20, 2013.

1. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
    Sometimes I'll snip the inner tip off the marabou plume if it's too rigid. Allows the softer side fibers to form the tail rather than the rigid part of some of those plumes.

Edit: I almost never use more than 1 plume on a bugger. Leeches and most organisms are pretty slender critters. Most taper down toward the tail so buggers shouldn't be any different.
    PatrickH likes this.
  2. PatrickH Active Member

Snohomish County Wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Yeah I been doing that on some also. Cabela's marabou is so bad you can't get a good tail from any of the feather tips.
    Sometimes I trim down the sides, hold my breath :eek: while I lay them out on the table and use the whole feather.
    gormaci likes this.
  3. Northwestsalmon New Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    Hey Patrick the answer you want to your question is pretty easy. Yes there are techniques to using material that will increase the look of the material but ultimately if you just want a marabou that you can clump in and tie a tail like that you need to look for SPEY marabou. Spey is the key the plumes are way longer and fuller then your average blood quil. Hope this helps
    Alpine4x4 and PatrickH like this.
  4. PatrickH Active Member

Snohomish County Wa
    Yes that does help, thank you. :)
    gormaci likes this.
  5. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    Here's some example tails using Jay Fair marabou.
    Bugger_circle.JPG
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +996 / 0
    Am I the only one that has moved from marabou to rabbit for bugger style tails?
  7. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    Yes. ;)
  8. jersey livin' the dream

sonoma county
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Am I the only one that has moved from marabou to rabbit for bugger style tails?

Nope, smallie flies are tied like you mentioned...they last a bit longer when being chewed often.
  9. Dottiesdad Member

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I've also had good luck with the Jay Fair Premium marabou. It is hard to find locally however. I believe Cabela's in Lacey carried it at one time, but I can't give a recent report on that. As mentioned above, Fish Hunter is good stuff too.
  10. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 0
    Excellent thread. Been tying a lot of big streamers lately and they eat up marabou like nothing else. Never thought much about the quality or cost until I used a whole package tying three flies! Here's me going through a package trying to find a feather to palmer a tail- "Nope, won't work. Nope, won't work. Nope, won't work. Nope, won't work. Uhhhhh, maybe. Nope, won't work. Nope, won't work. There's a good one! Nope, won't work….."
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  11. PatrickH Active Member

Snohomish County Wa
    I tried what you mentioned a couple times now and it looks so much better. Is there a feather type out there that has more of these webby feathers? My bugger pack feathers, I have to break the long ones in half and waste the rest and the rest of the other feathers are too short to get to the nicer webby part across the whole fly.
  12. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
    I probably only use 1/3rd of the plumes in any package. You'll always have some, regardless how good the whole string is, that just aren't right. Marabou is cheap and I don't want to fish a fly that isn't right to me. Throwing away plumes I don't like has never bothered me.If I tie a fly with a crappy tail, it'll sit in my box for years unfished.

I usually use saddle hackle for the hackle on smaller stuff like buggers and sometimes neck hackle or schlappen for larger steelhead type flies. Even then, only a small percentage of what's in a package is suitable for me to use.

Good luck and have fun tying. I tie everything I fish but have never really enjoyed it. Only do it out of necessity. Many enjoy the process, I just do it for the end result.
  13. Ryan Higgins Active Member

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    I ordered some blood quill from Mudhole tackle to try it out when ordering some rod parts. It is some of the fullest marabou with very good tips. I'll be getting some spey marabou to try out soon.
  14. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +258 / 0

I haven't tried rabbit but I am using alot more Arctic Fox and Raccoon for my tails, less action but still pretty lively and natural...but mainly it fouls on the hook bend a heck of a lot less. Marabou is a PITA in that respect.
  15. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Ratings: +119 / 0
    The post by troutpocket, I know the owner of Jay Fair products, I met him on a hike here in my home state of California. He owns Sierra, Stream, and Mountain Fly Shop in Chico, California. Just order online, the store has a website. Here's some marabou he gave to me personally. It is fluffy, but not to fluffy, and isn't stiff like a lot of bad marabous, but has enough stiffness to hold it straight. image.jpg image.jpg
    Jeff Dodd and troutpocket like this.
  16. Ryan Higgins Active Member

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    What do you guys find is the best marabou for hackling? Spey is too stiff, most of the blood quill I run into is also too stiff too quick. Using it to tie up some flesh flies.