I need help w/ carp

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by lx-88, Dec 23, 2005.

1. lx-88

lx-88 Member

Media:
    I'm on a trip right now fishing small man-made ponds in some of the gated-communities around here in Florida. I have been watching one or two carp swim around slowly, the thing is huge. No matter what I through at it, it won't even flinch, it just keeps cruising around.

I’ve thrown woolly buggers, streamers, and wet flies. What else can I through at this thing?:confused:

I'm limited in what I can use because I don't have any capability to tie here (I didn't bring my stuff) and all the fly-shops have are salt-water gear.

PM me if you don't want it to be public, I won't tell anyone.

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    quick help note would be to check out the search function from the main forums page and enter Carp, lots of info there.

3. lx-88

lx-88 Member

Media:
    Thanks, I found the article here on WFF and a few on google. Please though, if you have any hints let me know! Hopefully I'll post a picture of the carp I catch tommorow.:cool:

4. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Uh, Zen... I think you have a patient in room one.

5. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Uhhh, those sound like grass carp. Take another look and report back, please try to take notice with reguards to their mouth and body structure. Grass carp are much thinner than common carp, and have a mouth resembleing that of a trout rather than the down-turned mouth of a common carp. Also they exibit a greenish/brown color turning to white on their belly. Grass carp are often stocked in pairs or by themselves in small water to control weed growth. They primarily feed on plant matter, but often eat insects and minnows that are flushed out of the plant matter while they are feeding.

Grass carp are very difficult to catch in my opinion. I have hooked a few, but they are jumpers who posess a huge amount of power. I have been trout fishing when I have hooked them, and have had them either break off or had them come off during the jumps each time.

Your best method would be to stalk them until they appear to be feeding (face in the weeds, or rarely, the bottom), and cast as close as possible to them, like within 1 foot or less, so the fly is directly infront of them or too the side. I would recomend a pattern resembleing a damsle nymph, or anything small and olive that moves alot. I have tried flies imitating plant matter but have had no sucess. Try to drag the fly into their feeding zone, as close to their face as possible. If you can get the fly within inches you should get a take.

After the take, the line will simply get heavy, you will feel no jolt. Instead of setting the hook, simply come tight to the fish and hold the hell onto that rod. Be prepared for some huge runs into the backing and jumps. There isnt much you can do while the carp is on the run, except try to not put too much pressure on it. When the fish stops, put the hurt on it and start to bring it in. If it starts up agian, let it have its way, you will just break it off it you try to stop it. With reguards to landing, the best way is to beach the fish in shallow water or right at the shore, unless you happen to have a very large net. Landing carp and trying to unhook it in the water is pretty hard. I would recomend 8-12lb line and a reel with a bunch of backing, unless the pond is very small.

If the fish is a common carp (deep body, downturned mouth, golden brown color), your best chance is to wait until the fish is feeding (either rooting around on the bottom, or eating surface stuff). Presentation methods are covered extensivly in earlier threads. Good luck!

Peace,
    Andy

6. MrP

MrP Member

Media:
    I have caught a few Grassers; like the Commons and Mirrors, they are extremely wary. Zen gave lots of good advice. As he says you won't see them nose down in the bottom like a Common or a Mirror. I have watched them cruise along and slowly vacuum up a big glob of algae. I watched move into the reeds and nibble away at the weeds. The ones I have caught have often shot straight up, all the way out of the water when they realize they have been hooked. We used floating lines and unweighted olive nymphs. We used a slow hand twist retreive. Something I found that made a decided difference in our hookups was to stay out of sight as much as possible. We cast from behind reeds and stayed concealed as much as possible while stripping. If we couldn't stand behind reeds we crouched way down. We put our knees on the ground, sat on our heels, and cast side arm just above the ground. Good luck.

7. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree that its important to be very stealthy. If you do spook a grass carp, give it a long while (30min +) to rest, the go at it again. Carp can also hear better than any freshwater fish, so watch those footsteps.

Peace,
    Andy