I need help with Chironomid fishing

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kaiserman, May 18, 2013.

1. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    Dave---I don't have a camera to take a photo of what I have tied, but it is the easiest fly you have ever tied. I cut the V rib on a slight angle to make it easier to tie on to the shank just above the bend. Wrap the V-rib up the shank to near the eye, tie off the V-rib and then either attach an ostrich herl (dub a small amount of white rabbit fur if you don't have ostrich) make 2-6 wraps and tie it off and you are finished.
  2. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0

slip indicators are very easy to adjust, don't kink the leader as bad as using a thing-a-ma-bobber, and if you are using a really long leader, when you hook a fish, the bobber can move freely on the line so you will have an easier time landing the fish.
  3. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +86 / 0
    Thingamaboobers are a pain to adjust as well. Slip indicator is much easier.
  4. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +97 / 0

What Cmann said about the slip strike indicator, it allows you to fish deeper than the length of your fly rod. I have fished and landed fish under an indicator up to about 15 feet or more. If fish are boiling, you can set your fly within inches of your indicator, they don't seem to care. Or go without an indicator, I like to use a dry or emerger on top at that point myself.

Wayne
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +973 / 1
    I use the foam pinch on indicators when fishing in shallow or clear water. The heavier slip indicators spook fish with the splash down.
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,053 / 1
    They do? Funny, I don't seem to have any issues even in really shallow water, but that's just me.
    Gary Knowels and Nick Clayton like this.
  7. Irafly Active Member

Yes it does. I know that paying attention is difficult, but it becomes much easier with two maybe three changes to your indicator set up. First avoid round indicators! Do they work, of course they do but round indicators have 360 degrees of symmetry and you might miss the more subtle takes because you may not notice the indicator turn or for that matter dip a little bit. Instead consider using a tear drop style indicator. Any tiny change in it's directionality either up/down, left/right, pause, causes the indicator to change much more dramatically than with a round indicator. After all that's what they are, indicators and if they are bobbing, you are doing it wrong. Second use a two tone indicator, this will also help you see subtle changes because of the contrast in the colors. I prefer orange and white, but green and white and others will work as well. Lastly don't be afraid to use larger indicators. Tiny indicator become much harder to see if there is even a little bit of chop or light change and they are also harder to see in your peripherel vision during those times that you glance away. I currently use an indicator that is about an 1 1/4" long, and ask those who fish with me, I have no trouble scaring fish with them.
  8. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    GT, this is a new concept to me, from how I'm reading it is the leader and tippet slide though the indie freely? So you cast the rig out, let the bugs slide down threw the indie and then hand twist the bugs up and down vertically.
    So the indie isn't used for a depth setting, just to retrieve vertically? Pretty cool idea....I think I'll have to try that.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  9. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Try them at Rocky Ford and you will find out quickly. Or maybe the Rocky Ford trout are sensitive and don't like people to throw things at them.
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,602 / 0
    It is common for trout to hit the indicator. At one lake, it was so common I started adding a hook to the indicator in hopes of hooking one of the mouthy trout. Hah! They ain't so stupid.... the trout would not touch an indicator with a hook. I have no idea why.

I've even made tiny little "bass popper" looking things to use for indicators and the trout would ignore them. But once I started using a bright yellow bobber with no hook again... they'd nail it. Smartass trout.

The Cortland pinch on indicators work fine for me but are a one time use affair. I ended up making my own indicators by cutting small sections of a bright yellow foam tube and installing a loop made of dry fly line. Any indicator with a loop system is easy to move up and down the leader. I'm not a fan of a Korkie and a tooth pick.
  11. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +427 / 0
    I was fishing a creek in Montana 20 yrs ago, tried an orange indicator with a stone nymph. Some really, really big browns kept coming up and inhaling my indicator. I couldn't figure out why, until a random Salmon Fly landed on my head. Just about that time, one of those browns grabbed my indicator and off he went.

I fought that fish for two minutes, thinking the whole time, "This can't be happening. There's no hook on my indicator!". After a few more seconds, he let go. I put a Salmon fly (Sofa Pillow) on, no luck. Put a bare hook on my indicator - two fat fish.

I've never had that happen since. Of course, I haven't used indicators since then either.

These "inputs" are very helpful guys, thank you! Like I said, I've been fishing for 27 years now - and feel like a total newbie when it comes to this chirono fishing. It's kinda fun to learn something totally new!

Heck, next is Tenkara fishing right? :eek: I'm kidding!!!
  12. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,143 / 4
    Totally agree with Ira's take on indicators. I have learned lots fishing with him, and the fact is that using tear drop shaped slip indicators have resulted in hookups that I would have flat out missed with other indicators. Some days the takes are ultra subtle, and having the right setup can make the difference between a slow day, or a productive day.

Also haven't had any trouble spooking fish with the size of my indicator- though to be honest, mine are a little smaller than Ira's. He likes to make fun of them =o(

If you want to get good at the vertical presentation game, my advice would be to head out on the lake with nothing but a floating line, some indicators, and various weighted flies. (Oh yeah, this technique is NOT just for chironomids. Try using the same method with micro leeches, worms, nymphys, bunny leeches... Using the same technique but with different flies can help you get dialed in to the method while still allowing you to find plenty of willing fish even if they aren't interested in chronnies at the moment) Leave the sinking lines at home for a while and you'll quickly find yourself learning how to use a floating line/indicator to cover just about any situation you can encounter on a stillwater.
  13. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    When I am fishing a two fly rig on lakes, I tie the tippet to the main line with a triple surgeons and leave a 3" long tag end and tie the upper fly to that (using a loop knot) and then tie the bottom fly to the end of the tippet. I think it allows the upper fly to float and drift more normally. On rivers, this rig can tangle so I just tie the second fly to tippet tied to the hook bend. Rick
  14. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Ira, so what is your favorite brand of indicator ? if you would ?
    also this is just me, but i like some wind when chrono fishing. have had my best success with lots of wind. and if you stay out there in the wind. try your first fly with a dragon nymph then a mid.
    and funny, but try a slow troll with floating line and mid right on top.
    don't forget the shades of brown for color. i use green and root beer color flashabou for rib.
  15. Irafly Active Member

http://www.floatsunlimited.com/p125rw-25.html

100 for about $23 after shipping, or I guess you could just by 25 for close to $10. Still a lot less than the $1 indicators at the fly shops.
  16. Golden Trout Active Member

North Central Washington
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    Good: Good Idea, I love cheap. Corkies are cheap as well. Shove a one-inch piece of swizzle through them and you have a slip indicator at a much cheaper price.
  17. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +516 / 0
    Thanks for the link for the indicators Ira. I exclusively fish slip indicators with midges as typically on Pass Lake I'm somewhere between 12 - 18' deep. These look great and much cheaper than the little packs of single color ones that sell out like hotcakes in the stores.

Cheers
  18. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ira even got me to start buying them by the 100 pack.
  19. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Ira, thanks. i will add those to my box.
  20. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +516 / 0
    Nymphing at the Ford with an indicator is definitely a more sensitive thing than midging a lake. On lakes it really doesn't matter. At the Ford, yeah, the fish are very wary of indicators, fly lines, shadows, their own shadow. I catch fish at Rocky Ford using an indicator, but I do go with the smallest possible and cast well upstream of fish being targeted.