I need some advice.....Sinking line setups

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Billy McFly, May 10, 2013.

1. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Another newby question here - This one regarding sinking lines. I have two setups, one is a 4wt which currently has a Rio Gold floating line and the other is a 6wt with a Rio float line as well. I have extra spools for both reels.
    I want to set the 4 wt up for lake fishing and the 6wt for streamers. I also want the 6 wt for sea-run cuts.
    Sink type 3 – 6 ?? Is a 6 a full sink and a 3 a tip sink or do those numbers refer to sink rate?
    I’m thinking I want a full sink for lakes and a xx’ sink tip for streamers. What do you guys use for sea-run cuts??

Thanks again for the help
  2. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +476 / 0
    The type numbers refer to sink rate of the line (or the sinking portion of the line).

Most anglers use a 6-weight rod for sea-run cutthroat in salt water, not because of the size or strength of the fish but because of the prevalence of wind along the beaches or the possibility of hooking a larger fish (coho, pink etc., not that unusual an occurrence). Other than that, a 4- or 5-weight rod is perfectly adequate for even the largest sea-run cutthroat. In fresh water during the cutthroat runs in late summer and fall I routinely use a 4-weight.
    Bob Carroll likes this.
  3. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Thanks Preston - So is your Sea-run setup a sink tip to get down to them or will they rise to a floater? I was thinking a floating line with a weighted leader might work for s-r-cuts but what do I know ;) - That's why I'm asking for advice :confused:
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    You can use both a floater or a tip for sea runs. It depends on the style of fisihing you wish to do. If you are tossing streamers/bait patterns/attrators you could use a tip to get down to them. A floater with a dry or even a reverse spider will work also. It is your choice. Many times when fishing the river for searuns I will have 2 rods setup; one with a floating line that I use for reverse spiders mostly and the other with an intermidiate sink tip for getting down into the snags with streamers and such. Cutts are aggessive and will come quite a distance to hit a fly on the surface. I have seen them, in clear water, come up from 10 feet or more down to hit a reverse spider fished just under the surface.
  5. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Just my opinion.
    Add a type III full sink to one of your 6 wt spools. You can use that on lakes. Unless you are fishing really deep lakes, that will get you down to where you need to be. Most of the lowland lakes around here aren't super deep.
    On the other 6 wt spool, I'd put a 10-15' clear (ghost) sinktip. You could use that off the beach for cutts, in lakes and streams as well.
    Of couse as you fish more, you'll want or need more lines. It is an addiction most of us that flyfish have. ;)

Good luck,
    SF
  6. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +476 / 0
    Since one of my favorite saltwater sea-run cutthroat patterns is the Miyawaki Beach Popper, I use a floating line whenever I can. The only other line I use in the salt is either a full length intermediate or an intermediate sink tip. I don't think a faster sinking line is that important on the beaches unless you want to spend a lot of time dealing with sculpins and flounder.

In fresh water I use a floating line most of the time when fishing Reverse Spiders, Knudson Spiders, October Caddis pupa imitations and, of course dries. In the last few years I've started using a type III full sink (after being schooled a couple of times by Curt Kramer), and find it particularly useful in very deep pools and when fishing sculpin imitations.