I stole Leland's Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by David Holmes, Jul 31, 2006.

1. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Chadk -- do you mean to say that the fish will eat better if you bleed it out? Where do you cut it? I intended him for the oven and bashing is the only method I know. Please enlighten me on better options.

BTW, we actually ate part of him within a couple of hours of his passing. I think we're eating the rest of him tonight.
  2. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    Yes. First, introduce Mr. Fish to Mr. Rock a couple times to subdue it. Then stick a couple fingers under the gill plate, grab onto the gills and pull them out. They're full of blood vessels which will quickly drain most of the blood. It's gory but it works quite well and there's no need for a knife.

K
  3. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0

Since I always have a knife with me, I just stick it through one side of the gills and out the other and slice down through the juggler. Stand back, because the blood will spray everywhere sometimes. I don't bonk them with a rock or anything. No need really. Just a quick cut and either put them well away from the bank to finish bleeding out, or secure on a stringer and bleed out in the water. But never leave the fish sitting out or even in the water more than you'd leave fresh food sitting out. In the winter, when it's pretty cold, this is less of an issue...

Oh, and after about 10 mins, I gut it and clean it out real well.
  4. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0

Ross, if i lived that far north and it was that cold, I'd agree. But here, if you leave the fish whole, unblead, and not gutted, bad things can happen.

For example, I tried this once in the fall with a silver. I put it in a cooler of ice pretty quickly after bleeding it, but not gutting it. There were some parasites that I guess are pretty common in the stomachs of fish. Once the fish died, they made their way out of the stomach and into the meat. As I fillet it that night, i came accross the worms and had to toss the whole thing out. I never leave the river \ lake now without gutting.

But, like I said, if it was freezing out, and the fish could be frozen in short time (freezing parasites and such with it), then that makes sense.

But then you still have do deal with gutting it in your sink after you thaw it out. I've never had a problem with freezer burn unless for some reason a fillet gets lost in the back for a year or so...