I tried to go fishing today

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I tried but didn't do any good. I seldom go fishing on weekends. I try to only go during the week. I should of stuck to what I usually do. I went to the upper Ruby today to do battle with the Grayling up there. It is flowing so slow, I can piss faster than that.. Pretty low at this time of the year.

I got to where I wanted to be. I got a juiced up with bug juice and grabbed a rod with a dry on it. Two casts into the water and I got my feet tangled in the bushes and down I went. 75 miles from town, I fell and ended up with a stick and some grass stuck in my arm. I pulled the crap out of my arm and went to the car for a bandage. I also jammed my left wrist. Well after a long drive home, I ended up at the ER. They cleaned up my arm and I ended up with two stitches. Now my arm hurts so bad, I can't do anything with it. All I can do is hold it in up right position.

Sent from home with one finger typing. I can't use my left hand for anything. From now on I only fish weekdays.

2. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Old Man Jim,

Wishing you a speedy recovery. With nothing broken, I expect you will be back out in no time. Be careful out there!

3. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Second that speedy recovery. Remember the only thing golden about our years is that which was faster that the water speed.

flyfool and Dipnet like this.
  4. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jim, at least your still trying man. Sorry to hear about the arm, tell you one thing, getting old ain't for sissies! and that's fer sure. I'm with you on the weekdays thing. I don't bother on weekends either. Hope you heal up soon.

LB

5. prestonco

prestonco New Member

Hope I'm still fishing when I'm your age, even if it does involve a few spills. Hope you have a speedy recovery and find the water again soon.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    This thing has 100 hits. I expected to receive some shit over this. What happened, you all feel sorry for me. I laughed all the way to ER. And my damn arm still hurts. I must of jammed my wrist pretty hard to the ground.

Oh hell there is always next week. Only I reel with mt left hand. That sucks.

7. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I am just glad your old hips didn't shatter.. Fossils are brittle!

triploidjunkie and Old Man like this.
  8. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    Easily remedied. Just don't catch anything and it won't be a problem.

In all seriousness though, I hope the arm feels better soon.

9. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yeah, I too am a member of the "not on weekends" fishing team! Sorry to hear about your mishap! If you can only hold that arm in an upright position, pry those fingers apart, place a glass of a good single malt there and then use neck and head dexterity to access!!

10. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Heal up quick so we don't have to listen to you bitch and moan about it for too long. You still have one good arm and a middle finger that works.

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Man, I have some serious scrapes from yesterday's boulder scramble at the Dalles on Rock Creek. I'm only 29.95 years old and it was tough. Glad to know that though it gets harder it's still doable as you get up there. I don't ever want to quit fly fishing, I'd rather die. Rock on Old Man!

Builder likes this.
  12. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    Old Man - I have never ever seen you post a report where you have 'slayed' it. You live in Montana and I'm curious do you ever have really good days? I always dream of Montana and the epic fishing that comes with it....

10incher likes this.
  13. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Geez, Jim . . . you walk like me for crying out loud, but my mis-step ended with a dislocated shoulder. Heal-up & get back out there. I'm glad it wasn't worse. My weekend was consumed by a bachelor/bachelorette party for Daughter & soon to be new Son. I defaulted to designated photographer. I also learned that IPA keg beer leaves me with a headache (but it was a great time). Hang in there.

14. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

I took a little dunk yesterday on the middle fork of the flathead. No injuries other than my pride but dang that water was cold. Get better, gear back up and get back out......

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't stay out to long. My days of fishing all day are all in the past. All my days on the water are good days. If I catch four fish in half an hour. It will be like I slayed them.

I have a small pond that I fish that is loaded with Cutthroat. Almost every cast you get a fish. It's basically a small lake, but it's called a pond. You need a 4x4 to get to it. Not a place to just drive to and fish. As soon as my god damn arm quits hurting I'm going up there.

I've fell many feet and cracked some ribs and didn't hurt as much as my arm does. I guess getting old has something to do with it. It's swollen and I can't use it. It might be from what they did to my arm at the ER that is causing my pain. They filled my arm up with fluid to clean it out. So my arm is swollen because of that.

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Why would anyone flip you shit when an outing was shortened due to a stumble requiring medical care? We are almost all a compassionate group. Wish you a fast recovery, return to the water and old goat like footing skill.

Not much different typing with one finger over two...took you a while to peck out your message either way.

17. 10incher

10incher Active Member

The best recovery medicine for a fishing injury is the memories of when it was good.

18. 10incher

10incher Active Member

Well OM, You've been generous with advice, patient in disposition and graceful with disagreements. It's not surprising that you didn't get razzed until you asked for it. That said...

Maybe you need a new wading staff. Perhaps one with four feet and tennis balls pushed onto them!

Get well soon comrade.

triploidjunkie, Ed Call and Old Man like this.
  19. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Sounds like a bummer. I remember getting tripped up by blackberry vines, once. My boot got caught under a tenacious vine as I was bushwhacking up and around a section too deep to wade, that was running between high banks. Down I went. I soft-landed face-first in the vines and brush growing on the forest duff above the river bank and didn't get speared by anything. Just had a few minor scratches from the thorns. I felt lucky.

Now when I'm fishing alone on a river or creek, I try to be extra-aware of where I place my feet, looking for possible entanglements and loose footing, and I try to watch every single step when I'm climbing a bank or bushwhacking. Wading is always one step at a time. LIke most of us, i've had some close calls.

Heal up soon, and get back out there!

20. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I understand there's a company catering to baby boomer fisherpeople and the even older generation with walkers for streamside activities.

Having said that to OMJ I was up at Rocky Ford last winter and while bending over to net a fish almost tipped over into the water. Balance is an issue for us older geezers. We're not as nimble as we were once.

Old Man likes this.