I WANT TO BUY SOME SPEY FLIES

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by BOBLAWLESS, Dec 2, 2002.

1. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm a so-so tyer of rather mediocre flies. Easy stuff, that sort of thing. But I do love beautiful flies and I've been thinking about buying a few speys, getting some ideas, fondeling them, etc. Does anyone know a good source? What is a good average price? What basic flies must I have to be anybody? Where can I get the exotic materials to whip one up? Any good books? If you help me and I see you on a piece of water someday, I'll give you a Hardy Perfect fly reel in mint condition.

P.S. I have been known to tell a fib or two. :CLOWN :THUMBSUP
  2. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

John Shewey has a new book out called "Spey Flies & Dee Flies Their History and Construction". I got it at Amazon for $45.00 I believe. I thought it was very well done. John goes through his own interpretations of various patterns and also shows many other great fly tiers and various patterns.

skinny
  3. MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Ashton, Idaho
    Yeah Bob, A fib or three, is more like it.

MacRowdy :THUMBSUP
  4. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Check out www.steelheadanglers.com and send the man an email, as I just registered for his small one evening spey tying class.

And I think his prices are good, as I have seen spey flies in the $4-6 range.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  5. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    I want to thank you, Matt, as well as the other guys who have come forward with their expertise of which there seems to be an abundance on this website. It is a great joy to me.
    As for your flies, they look like beauties to me and I wouldn't apologize for them. But then don't rely on anything I might say about flies as I have never met one that I didn't like. For that matter, don't rely on what I say on much of anything.
    I'm thinking about getting a duck stamp and popping a wood duck if I can find one. You will get a little chunk if I do. :THUMBSUP
    BOBLAWLESS
  6. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    Hey Rob,

Who did you email? I emailed Grey Fox on that site. He said he doesn't teach formally. Dennis Worley out at Kauffmans has been real helpful to me and so has Swedes. I think these guys may teach. There are one or two guys on this site that will teach for a six pack or have hourly rates.

Thanks for the kind words about my flies Bob. Hopefully you can speak to the Steelhead and let them know it wouldn't be such a bad thing to throw themselves on my hook.

Matt
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Reading these posts made me think. When we get started out on steelhead fly fishing we get all of the flies we need such as Popsicles,Wooley worms,Wolley Buggers,Bunny leeches, Etc.etc.etc. so now spey fishing comes along and all of a sudden you need different flies. What is wrong with all the other flies that we all used before Spey fishing.

I think this is just a ploy to get all fly fishers to spend all of their hard earned money(mine ain't hard earned,I'm retired). On things that you don't really need. Spey rods,spey reels,spey lines,spey leaders,spey flies,spey fly boxes(which you really can't afford after buying them flies at $4.00 to $6.00 a pop). But then after all of the spey stuff you now have to up grade all of your other gear. New waders,wading staff,wading shoes,new vest, the list goes on and on. And I could go on and on so I think I will quit now.

Jim.

P/S: This is how you get to 1000 posts,lots of useless dribble. :pROFESSOR
  8. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    babar@speyman.com is the man.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  9. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    You are definitely right, Jim, on this spey business. I threw all my stuff out that I have been catching fish on for the past 40 yrs. because it is so...so....so out of date, old fashioned, passe, stale,
    Beatleish, etc. Now I have nothing to fish with and so I don't fish anymore. Somehow I was just shoved aside by it all.

But I do think those spey flies are real pretty, sort of church flies if you know what I mean. We never had much until they came along. I can count the flies I used on one hand: Red Comet, Orange Comet, Boss, Fall Favorite, Skunk and Silver Hilton. All were weighted. My rod was a 9' Fenwick 10wt. and a Hardy St.Aiden reel. Sci. Fi. sinking tips. Now I've got to get all new stuff. I won't be outdone!
    BOBLAWLESS :DUNNO
    P.S. I got some spey underwear the other day, hot pink, glow in the dark jobs. Looks groovy.
  10. highlander New Member

issaquah, WA, usa.
    Thought I would add my thoughts on speys. Buying them can be expensive if you are lucky enough to find spey flies that are tied well. Tying these flies can be quite simple as the original spey flies were tied with nothing more than your average barn yard stock. The hooks are probably one of the most expensive things to purchase. Jack Cook of steelhead anglers sell a spey hackle that is more then suitable for these flies, in fact its about as close to original spey cock as you will find anywhere and its cheap. I use this for most of my flies now. Marabou is a decent material to practice with its cheap and is easy to find. winging materials are quite cheap and easy to find such as bronze mallard and my personal favorite hackle tip wings are chinese rooster neck hackle. For bodies I prefer silk it does not loose its color in the water and is much easier to work with then other flosses. For the ribbing and counter ribbing I have went to all metal tinsels they are much stronger then mylar, as I expect my flies to last through several fish. Tying speys to me is art, it is about as close as I will ever get to being an artist of sorts and I have found through the years that I almost like the tying of these flies as much as I enjoy fishing them.
  11. fly15 New Member

I duck hunt and would be willing to get rid of some feathers if anyone is interested.Last time out I shot some mallards pintails and shovelers.My grandpa got the same including some green wing teal and gadwalls.My dad, grandpa and I are going duck hunting on monday so we will have some feathers if you guys want to trade a few flies for a pelt or certain feathers.

Send me an e-mail at razerclam@aol.com

fly15 :THUMBSUP
  12. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +644 / 0
    Bob, I think a good deal is from $3 to $5 but this depends on size, quality etc. Some spey flies go for considerably more money, up to several hundred dollars for the full dress display flies.As for materials, a great source is Paul phillipone's "Donegal" I think it's www.donegalfly.com. Might be on the links list on the home page here. Waters West, in Port Angeles, has some excellant and diverse spey fly materials. Some people say it's better stocked than most of the city shops. I agree that the newer book on Spey and Dee flies is really a classic work, and very handy for learning to tie these wonderful artistic patterns. I like the General practitioner, the Marabou Spey,The shrimp and Prawn flies. Winter's Hope, the Sol Duc, the silver hilton.... Well, I guess I like them all at one time or another. Im new to it too. Out at Rocky Brook Rod and Hackle, also in Port Angeles,( the old Quality Fly Shop), they sometimes feature a fly tier on saturdays, as a guest tier for a few hours. And they have lessons too. I think they are free. And they have hot coffee and dougnuts too.So along with being a cheap-skate, you can freeload on coffee and doughnuts and lounge around till the dog pees on your leg and they kick you out.
  13. fishingseaducer Guest

Check out fly anglers online spey hackle.
    There are some great pictures of flys and materials
    from Ron Lucas Sr.
    Fore great and unique spey,and atlantic salmon materials
    Ron Lucas Sr. E Mail rlucas@cybcon.com
    13535 SE BEECH MILWAUKIE OR 97267
    PH 503-654-0466

P.S. If you have not seen Rons materials do so he also
    has some of the coolest iridescent dubbing around.
  14. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    "Spey Flies & Dee Flies Their History and Construction" is the best out of the ten or so books I have, listing Spey flies. $45 must be for the Hard back as I only spent $30. It is very expensive material to tie and can be hard to find. This page has about 75% of what you may need:

http://rockymountainflies.com/fulldressmaterial.htm

This page is really pricey and you can find better deals at Kauffman's, Swedes, a little bit of Avid, some of Ted's, etc. I've seen a spey fly sell for 4 to 6 bucks at a pop and I'm not sure if a fella is breaking even when he does. I keep receipts of what I buy for my kit and with changing over to Spey flies, I now have a $1500 fly tying kit.

I've included a pic of my first efforts at tying Speys. They're too bushy,heads and bodies are too fat, and the wings aren't set right (started tying before reading what John Shewey had to say), but it gets me on the water. (P.S. after seeing my own pics and looking at Tightloops's next post, I've emailed that guy about getting some class.)

I have a ton of other sites, if you need them. Just let me know Bob.

Matt