I want to start building rods...

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Nick Riggs, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I really want to start making my own rods, but I haven't a clue where to start. I can manage all the materials (thread, blanks, guides, etc...) but I really don't know where to start when it comes to equipment. I've seen pictures of rod wrapping tools (Roper's) and I can build one myself, but is there anything else that I need to get?
  2. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    You'll hear this advice a lot - take a class. I did, and it speeds up the process immensely.
  3. Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Seattle, WA
    Thanks, I never would have thought of that.
  4. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    All About the Fly in Monroe has rod building classes. I took one at the shop and had a great time, learned a lot of cool stuff and have now built 5 rods.

Josh
  5. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    i learned from a video tape and haven't had really any problems, except a couple minor ones, but nobodies perfect. if you're not sure what all to buy then just order a rod building kit. i order from cabelas a lot because they are reasonably priced and offer quite a bit. the kits come with a couple of different colr threads, winding checks, guides, hook keepers, reel seat, cork handle and a basic building chart. i can't remember if tip tops come with the kits or not though. they're pretty easy to build, but if i was starting now i would probably take some sort of class.
  6. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Take a class...

:cool:
  7. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Order of preference :

1) Take a class

2) Take a class

3) Take a class

4) Work with someone who's built a rod before

5) Get a book

6) Just start doing it

I did a combo of 5 and 6, and I can tell you, that unless you are a pig headed son of a bitch, it's not worth it. So if you can't take a class, then try to find someone who can at least provide some guidance. The biggest problems you'll have; are fear of doing something wrong, and epoxy. Neither are as big as deal as you would think, and having someone re-iterate that to you while you make mistakes is *very* important.

But in general the class will be FAR more valuable to you than getting good equipment. Save your pennies, wrap in a cardboard box with a thread bobbin, do anything to get to a class!

Also, start with something cheap. I can guarantee that there is no way your first rod will be a thing of beauty (though the pride won't be any less!).

If you need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Finally, where the heck is Stanwood at?

-- Cheers
    -- James
  8. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Stanwood is near Camano Island. You should give Greg's a visit in Lake Stevens. They are also great people and very helpful. I couldn't make it in during the times that he was giving his rod building classes, so he worked with me on my schedule.

http://www.gregscustomrods.com/index.htm

Christian
  9. Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Seattle, WA
    I'm going to take a class as soon as possible, thanks for the advice.
  10. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Even if you are going to take a class, think about buying a low end kit from say Cabela's and having some fun with it.
  11. martinrjensen BambooBoy

Seattle, WA
    I can't argue with a class, but I think this is one thing that you could do following instructions from a book. You really don't need much in tools but you do need some way to rotate the rod after you cover the wraps with epoxy. the real cheap way, the way I first started was to have a shoe box and I put it on the mantle and cut notches in it. When I put the epoxy on the wraps, (I put it on in one coat) I then turned on a movie (on TV, a DVD will work) and rotated the rod 180 degrees every few minutes. Of course I wouldn’t do this today, I would just put it in my homemade barbecue rotisserie motor but the fact remains I used this method successfully for a few years.
    martin