I Will Never Fish The Cedar again!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bhudda, Jul 14, 2005.

1. what a major bummer, bhudda.

t

2. I've moved to this state 6 years ago...and have seen a 'big' change in little old Bellingham. More homeless junkies tripping over toothpics...trying to bum money for another trip, but can't because they can't talk and stand at the same time! Any place that is "green" becomes a tent camp. Had the 'pleasure' to golf with the assistant chief of police...he informed me that Bellingham is badly undermaned...like many other jurisdictions...he went on to say that the average cop has 9 scuffles a week (with as many as 3 per shift) trying to handle the junkies that are taking over.

Bhudda hope all is well...if you swapped blood I'd seriously think about seeing a doctor...God only knows what these freak shows have flowing in their veins!

3. Sorry to hear about that bhudda. Sucks when you have to avoid great water because of idiots like them.

4. First I'll echo the rest, that sucks.

At first glance it I could feel I don't have a dog in this fight and cruise right on by this thread, I mean the Cedar is a long ways from my stomping grounds, but on second that I do have a stake in what happened, we all do.

As soon as we "give up" something because of the poor, unethical, belligerent behavior of low life's, whether it's a playground for the kids or a nice stretch of river where we like to float a fly the animals have won and we have lost.

When there are no caring eyes on the water, what or who helps prevent abuses to the resource? It is only by making our presence felt in numbers that we can affect a positive outcome.

I'd say rather than all you guys up there swearing off the river, maybe you should all hook up en masse and go fish it or at least do a patrol of it. I'm not saying go out like a gang looking for trouble, but go out and inform the local lowlife's there are a lot of people who enjoy what they are screwing up and you're not going to stand for their abuses of the resource. Tell them there are a lot of eyes on the water and if you catch them abusing it you'll turn them in.

Take along a digital and get some action and face shots. Take pictures of license plate numbers and cars. Keep your cell phone handy. Inform the local authorities, not only about the abuses you run across, but of what you are doing and why. Ask them how you can best protect yourselves as you go about reclaiming your river. Many times local authorities are loathe for citizens to "take matters into their own hands" and might not be very helpful at first, but if you respectfully press them and let them know you are going to be out there with or without their support they often have some good ideas on how best to proceed.

I used to feel bad about turning people in, especially the guy with a couple of kids drowning worms where no bait is allowed, but you know what, they need learn how to read the reg book. Now I give people one chance and then I just turn them in.

A while back I caught a couple of guys fishing bait in a selective rules area. I took pictures of them holding up fish. I took pics of their car and their license plate. I went looking for an officer, not always the easiest thing to find up in the sticks. I eventually went into a USFS ranger station, after hours, and said I had a game violation to report and I wasn't leaving until someone took the report. Well they not only took the report but by the time I was back on the water, they had an enforcement officer there talking to the guys. Their claim of not knowing kind of fell on deaf ears when the gamey pointed out the sign right behind them that clearly stated "NO BAIT". As I went back to my fishing he was asking for their autograph and tossing their car.

I share this story not to make myself big in some manner but to illustrate we can have a positive impact on what's happening out there. We just have to tolerate the interuption of our schedule to make it happen. I'll bet those two guys don't fish bait there again, especially when they don't know when someone is going to come around the bend. But if they know we all are staying away because of the nonsense that goes on, then they know they are safe to do whatever they want.

Don't give up your river, go reclaim it. You owe it to yourself and to future generations to protect and preserve the resource.

Hope I don't sound too critical, not trying to be, just recognizing we have to start taking back what is ours.

Later
    ~w

5. More people need to stand up to the dirt bags. A little chin-check can do a lot for a guy's attitude. Nice work.

6. I may sound like a wussy for saying this, but if you have a description of the guy, his car, etc. you might want to report it to the police. He assulted you. It sucks that people want to get in your grill for doing the right thing. It really sucks when it ruins a day of fishing. You did the right thing. Now report it so that the cops might increase patrols.

All I can say is, If someone started chucking rocks at me, they might get what's left of what use to be 90mph fastball back at them. :mad:

7. Don't forget these

[​IMG]

and these

[​IMG]

A couple dead junkies caught up in logjams make good trout food!

8. That is a pretty crazy day, but I would have to agree with Wes. I don't think anyone should just stop fishing it. It is still a very valuable resource, especially here on the westside of the mountains. If the people who respect it the most stop using it and protecting it, then we will lose it. I have fished the Cedar a lot and have been lucky enough not to experience anything like that, but after this story, I will definately be more alert to things like this.

Sorry about what happened man. Try not to let a couple of scum bags like that ruin the river for you.

9. I agree with Wes, but also with Backyard, and Alpinetrout! Sort of a Charles Bronson "Death Wish" meets fly fishing. Bhudda's experience has been in the back of my mind everytime I see punks on the water...beer and flyfishing don't go well together...especially when you're not the one drinking!

10. Sounds like the next Cedar clean-up needs to focus less on trash and more on the 'white trash'...

Personally I think there should be a complete ban of glass containers on any public area or at least around parks and water access.

I was with my kids last night on the sky and couldn't let them wade barefooted because of the 'camp site' nearby surrounded by broken glass.

11. Wow, you've got me all riled up and i've never been in a fight; carefull out there though, you never know who packs...

Much respect,
    RZ

12. Atta boy Hulgan!
    That would be jacked up to be scrappin' with a meth-head in the water in waders...
    Good on you for sticking up for what you believe in.

BP

13. I have a similar story but it was on the snohomish. In 2003 i was in my boat on the snohomish fishing for pinks. After a morning of fishing, i decided to take a little boat ride up the river. There was a guy fishing on sum of the flats, they were only like 8 inches deep so i dont know what he was thinking fihsing there. I signaled to him and it appeared that he signaled back so i got hte boat on plane and went right by him. He started screaming and yelling at me, right after that i see a buzzbomb come right out of the water and over the boat and miss my head by about a foot. Turns out he had never took his line in. I turned around and he started throwing sticks and rocks at me. Then he took a knife out of his tackle box and threw it at me. It missed and went right into the water. I saw about 6 empty beer cans near him, I argued with him and was about to get out of the boat when he took out another knife. Instead i turn around and got away from him. I could still here him yelling even over the engine noise when i was about 200 yards away.

14. Thanks for standing up for all of us Bhudda! In my view instead of stopping our use of the river, we should all make a point of hitting the trouble areas over and over again, preferably in groups. Maybe when people realize that we're going to be raining on their parade, calling 911 and taking photos they'll move on to some where else they can turn into their personal party-town/ sewer. I know it's a pain giving up valuable fishing time rousting knuckleheads and "asshats" (love that word!) but if we don't do something, who will? I've only been out to the cedar a coupla times this year but, I'll give a shout out next time I'm able so maybe a few us can fish the logjam together. Maybe as someone earlier suggested, some of the homeowners in the area will even get involved....

15. After you worked so hard on cleaning up that exact location I'm not sure you could be faulted in the least for getting physical.

You really should file a police report just to contribute to a paper trail, down the road we're going to need to show that these are not isolated incidents.

But holy crap; he really held you down and tattooed your arm? That's brutal. :eek: ;)

Have fun
    Paul

16. Just glad that you're ok man!!!

17. Damn Bhudda!! I never get this type of excitement when I fish with you. I've only hit the Cedar once but sounds like I need to go stalk secion 4.

That sucks no doubt but don't stop fishing let's hit in a week or so. :thumb:

18. Maybe if a few of the 'asshats' accidentally fell under the logjam... Not sure how that would happen, but maybe they would stop partying there if they realized how dangerous it can be...

19. Hey Guys,

A suggestion, when it comes to dialing 911, for those of you who don't already know this. A sheriff told me that a sure fire way to get an officer to respond to the scene is to use the words "in progress" when talking to the dispatcher. The phrase "in progress" instantly heightens the priority of the call when an officer is being dispatched to various locations. It doesn't really matter whether it is actually occuring or you witnessed it happen, you should still say those two magic words.

Tight Lines (and hopefully no bloody noses),
    Dave

20. Living by the river for for a few years now, Ive noticed that alot of people fished it even when it was closed years back. The funny thing is I could point to sections of the river where these wonderful people hang out almost every night. Fished the river a few time this year but run into the same problems so I think im gonna hang it up. That and maybe just call the fish and game everyday and report poachers in these areas until a little representation shows up.