I Will Never Fish The Cedar again!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bhudda, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Tickety New Member

City, State
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I fished the Cedar as well last night and was annoyed at not only the people floating down drinking and dumping there trash in the river but the booger eaters lighting off fire works. The most amazing thing I saw were the 2 guys walking up the river with spears "fishing for suckers".

Bhudda I agree with you about the problems on the Cedar. But the thing not to do is quit. My grandfather once told about a river that was fished the same way the Cedar is being fished now (ie d*psh*ts that are fishing with bait and those that take the trophies for dinner.) It took some time to educate the public on the changes to that river and I am sure several people ended up with bruised chins and egos! Now that same river is considered a "blue ribbon trout stream".
  2. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    thanks guys for the replies, i dont think he wanted any of Curtis cuz hes bigger then me, but im glad it was just between me and the asshat.
    LMAO brendan! we called in some poachers "in progress" like 20 minutes before the incident happened and no one ever showed up.
    now that i can take a look at the loses -
    drowned cell phone
    hole/rip in waders
    shades gone
    the painkillers ive been saving:)

im not giving up per-say on the cedar, but until the place can be ENFORCED by LAW ENFORCEMENT then im outta there. there was a nice family at the next jam having a good time , no harm, seemed like they even kept every thing together to take out? anyways, it was 1 jake that was an ass, but im sure theres more. and oh yeah, ill take everyone up on there offers for fishing:):):) Pat, id love to catch up with ya here soon, not in a whitey kind of way tho:) ...............i had too:)

bhudda
  3. Chromer Defeat terrorism

Newcastle, WA.
    Either this brings renewed meaning to the term "donnybrook", or a second Cedar River cleanup is in order using the aforementioned tools!
  4. gordon New Member

Buhhda:

I don't know yah, but I sure feel for you and want to say thank you for sticking up for our rivers. I send you a pat on the back. I feel for your losses and bruises, hopefully that guy will not forget the incident.

Take care.
    Gordon
  5. MrP Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I have fished Lenice and Nunnally since the early seventies. Times have changed everywhere. Back then there were no willows around the lakes and darn few fishermen. There's way more of both now. Over the years the poaching increased and for awhile the parking lot theft became rampant. Once, in the early 90's, when I was walking out, I saw two "anglers" sitting on the bank with a 5 gallon, Jack in the Box pickle bucket holding several dead fish. They had spinning rods staked in the ground. I knew they were fishing bait but decided against saying something to them as there was a handgun laying on a gunny sack next to the bucket. I had fished Lenice every year for over 20 years. I didn't go back for several years. It was a non-confrontational experience but nevertheless very demoralizing.

Bhudda, I am very glad that you are okay. And yes, I'm glad that you stood up for what's right.

That year I typed a 7 page single-spaced page letter documenting poaching violations I had observed in the previous six months. I don't remember if it was still the Game Department or Fish and Wildlife at that point. Either way, they were, and are, extremely understaffed.

Your Cedar River story is also very demoralizing to me. I want people to care and to be respectful. Alas, it isn't always the case. There is no one, single, easy answer to all of this. I would like to sugget that we all continue to be good, diligent stewards of our environment and our resources. Might I also say please that the bats and hand gun posts can be seen as somewhat funny but could I please suggest that we all be careful. You never know when the hand gun on the gunny sack is holstered or simply in someone's coat pocket.
  6. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +836 / 1
    I have a thought guys.

Since most of you are carrying digital cameras, why don't you snap off some shots of faces (particularly underage ones if booze is around), trash, license plates, litterbugs, poachers, bait dunkers, etc. and post them on this site. Also, maybe we can let the print media know about the photos on the website so they may access them and run them in their papers.

Let's put this wonderful communications tool to work for change!

Leland.
  7. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    Glad your ok bro! It’s unfortunate you had to encounter genetic reject and his crony but good on you for speaking your mind. I hope you F’d him up! If I fish the Cedar again I’m rolling in numbers or with the number .40 cal.

Hey man if you wanna roll to the Yak and split the gas shoot me a pm. I fished it today near the Cle Elum area and it was alright.
  8. clockwork New Member

bothell township
    this is a danger every time you hit these rivers(green as well) since they really attract renton's finest(not talking cops).

glad you are ok, the thought of brawling in the water with waders on is scary as hell. what a hazardous disadvantage.

sounds like we need to take back this river. we dont need to stop fishing it, we just need to fish in larger groups.
  9. Brooktrout1 Member

Denver, co
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Now, I've seen guides get in arguments, landowners wave guns, and bait chunkers get pissy, but, I have never heard or read anything like that before. I hope that you are well, and I agree with the other writer about filing a complaint.

Good Luck.
  10. graveler New Member

northbend washington
    your best weapon is the camera, but when they cross the river with a broken bottle thats when you pull the other one out. you never know how far things will go and you dont want to be the one floating down the river.

real sad it has come to this!!!
  11. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +373 / 1
    As the cleanup was winding down and the bbq was being stoked up by Anil and Jason, Bhudda pulled up with his truck absolutely stuffed to the sky with garbage he and his gf pulled from the river and banks......I hate to see someone who worked so hard that day have to put up with anyone abusing the stretch he made pristine for all of us to enjoy again in a natural state.

Bhudda man, that absolutely sucks but you stood your ground and delivered some payback for all of us...... If I was there I would have helped as you were under attack and the game was "on" so to speak.....the really sad thing is right now, as we are reading our computer screens, he is out buzzing on the cheapest malt liquor he could find, breeding a new generation of scum in the backseat of a jacked-up '72 Nova with primered fenders and stolen fuzzy dice handing from the rearview mirror while Foghat blares from the 8 track......................................... :mad:
    I guess some of us are venting over this because one of our own was put in a bad situation by those who don't give a rip about the river or the future of the resource...to them it's just another parking lot to destroy. A bit of venting is okay.....the main thing is you are okay and have many thousands of fishing trips in the future. The only thing that matters in life is.....life.
  12. dmoocher Member

Olympia, Wa.
    A lot of youthful "machismo" displayed here...don't worry, when you guys hit 45, the testosterone level drops and you can start thinking clearly.

In my younger days, I'd have waited till he turned around and split his ear with the first hand-held object I could find. It's too risky now having kids and being an upstanding citizen and such...

How many of you have signed up for the "Eyes in the Woods" program offered by WDFW?...This program is how you are going to save the Cedar and other fisheries from being inundated by the inbred, toothless meth-heads (Renton is more like Yelm than I thought!)

I am taking the class in Olympia from my buddy George this fall and would encourage all of you to do the same. It will give your reports and calls for assistance a more "Official" status...and I think you get a really cool hat too!
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,651 / 0
    All of this written about the Cedar just makes me more not wanting to fish it. I went to the cleanup and did not do any because of me. But I have never fished it and will probably never will. Fishing down in that area never appealed to me because of all the people. I just like to get away from all the nuts cases so I spend most of my time up in the hills. The fish might not be the biggest or the best,but there is peace and quiet where I go. And one hell of a big gas bill.

Jim
  14. Dan Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Bhudda,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I saw the same trash at C-Post when I was up there last week. Someone had a party around a fire under the bridge and just left all their trash laying around. Really made me angry and sad. I don't understand it. I also fished the Cedar while I was there along Jones Road. Didn't catch any fish, but only ran into one guy - a local old timer fishing a single hook spinner. Told me some tales about winter steelheading did he. That stretch is absolutely spotless and some of the prettiest water I've seen. Maybe it's time to move up stream. Seems like too great a resource to give up on.
  15. Pontooner Member

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Bhudda what section of the river did this occur? I am assuming near down near Renton but I was on the river off of 149th street the night you were there and some days after and didnt see any garbage or any troublemakers.
  16. Jason Baker Member

Ft. Mill, SC
    Guys:

On a positive note, let's start carrying in garbage bags; when we see trash we can load it up and pack it out when we leave. A 5-10 minute clean-up each trip isn't a big task. There will always be idiots out there that we have to atone for.....
  17. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    pontooner, i was between 149th and the golf course, big 3 log jams, i fished it 3 times since sunday ending up in this secton EVERY NIGHT! every night there was a party with beers and bbqs and litterers! each day there was more garbage, i saw maybe a dozen mismatch shoes and flip flops already since sunday with hundreds of more bottles of beer and garbage. it wont stop until the authorities patrol this area to deterr (sp) people from illegal activity there. i hope this isnt getting out of hand with thoughts of violence in our minds, people are crazy and i accept that, i can manage to take into account "the other side of the story" too. at all costs i would prefer to educate then mutilate another human being. i hope everyone enjoys there time on the cedar for the rest of the season, and im sure this was a onetime thing:) i wanna hear reports of big fish again! its behind me... :}--~ bhudda
  18. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Of course we can sympathize; I for one am grateful this did not turn out worse. Much worse. Violence is not a valid solution to these problems. Let's tone down the escalation mentality here and consider what Leland and Dave suggested; legal,practical responsible solutions. If the violent, obscenities etc, rhetoric continues I will close this topic.
  19. Jason Baker Member

Ft. Mill, SC
    Bhudda:

I am fishing that stretch at 7 AM tommorow. Join me! Stength in numbers!

By the way, I am bringing a garbage bag....
  20. craigmtb New Member

Auburn, Wa
    kickin ass, you gotta stand up for whats right. Sounds likee fishing with you can be a lot of fun. For anyone who reads this, I had a nice fish on down on lowwer part of the river. Got it on a hares ear with bead head. About 16-18 fat boy, came out of the water a good 1.5 to 2 feet. Then broke off. Was pretty stoked though.