I wonder why we don't have Brown Searun Trouts here in the PNW.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Nov 26, 2013.

1. I'm with ya, cuthtroat beach action is fun! I feel blessed with saltwater all around me, the cost of the sport I love can be managed a little better now that I don't have to drive far every time I want to fish, though the learning curve was steep. But SRC in the salt are fun, I do secretly wish they'd grow bigger though. ;). Like that monster searun trout in your link! :D

2. Alexander, I often use my 9' med/stiff action 4 wt for beach fishing, if the wind isn't up, and if the flies I'm using are small enough. The lighter rod allows for the sub-14" fish to feel like you have a good fish on the line, and feels much better matched to fighting searun cutthroat than my 6 wt, which often feels like overkill. However, my 6 wt is better for casting larger baitfish patterns, coneheads, etc, and casting in the wind.
    But I prefer using my 4 wt, whenever I can. It does not overly stress out the fish if you use at least 3x tippet and know how to "put the wood" (use your butt section) to a larger fish.
    I am now thinking that a med/stiff 5 wt would be about the right compromise for beach fishing for searun cutthroat.

3. Many Non native fish appear to have a difficult time persisting with native parasites such a Nanophyetus salmincola and their bacterial associates. Brook Trout, Brown Trout, and atlantic salmon seem to do OK only in areas above barriers or in areas without the intermediate host, a snail called Juga. Other examples probably exist. It is fortunate for us that our native fish have evolved to thrive in the presence of these organisms, and non native fish have not. Otherwise we would probably be more over run by exotics than we currently are.

David Dalan likes this.
  4. Hi Alexander,
    If our steelhead populations would recover (insert laughing emoticon from the pessimists....), you might have a solid shot at them in the salt in the fall/winter, rather than the incidental occurrence now. They would certainly be the equivalent or superior to searun browns as far as battling.
    Steve

Alexander likes this.
  5. Something to day dream about...steelhead in the salt as a common occurrence!!!!

6. Steve have you caught sea run browns before?

7. Hi Alexander,
    No, I haven't caught searun browns for sure. I have landed searun (and landlocked) Atlantics in Maine and Nova Scotia and browns and Atlantics in Patagonia (Torres del Paine National Park). I have caught both steelhead (in rivers) and browns (in lakes) in Washington. I can compare the fight of a lake-living brown trout and rainbow trout of similar length on the same day. The browns were more like bulldogs, lots of heart and power; they tended to stay deep until drawn up from the depths. Steelhead (or rainbows in lakes to provide a comparison in a similar environment) can give you that lightning run where your reel just sings. The steelhead seem to stay more near the surface. And they are happy to jump.

You can find in Steve Raymond's book, Steelhead Country, a great essay "In the Estuaries" in which he describes catching steelhead in an unnamed Puget Sound estuary in the late winter/spring. Trying to mimic that experience is on my list of adventures that I would like to try at some point.

Steve

Bob Newman likes this.
  8. There are a few populations of sea run browns on the eastern side of Vancouver island. They're pretty rare, though. I believe all of those rivers also have fairly healthy populations of resident browns present as well. Perhaps those browns that do go out to sea are just rare individuals in the resident population that got a genetic wild hair and decide to see what's down-stream rather than being individuals with inherited predispositions to anadromy. In any case, since they planted some of those streams from Scottish stocks well over 100 years ago, I have to believe that if those browns that went out to sea truly found a niche to exploit in the marine environment, we'd probably see a lot more of them.

triploidjunkie likes this.

9. There are sea-run Browns in the Trinity that go up to about 36". True monsters. I've never been able to hook one though.

10. I'm not aware of any rivers in WA that drain to inland seas.

11. And...

12. I'd like to see sea run Taimen introduced.

13. I would stop wading

14. It would be cool if there were native to this area...it seems like we have the right type of waters?

15. Taimen or browns? We don't have Russian gangsters who traffic in drugs, prostitution and guns scraping the resource in the name of sport, but the fish should do just fine without that harassment. :)

16. Got married in Iceland in October. Wanted to fish for sea-run browns SOOO badly. I even got the OK from the Wife. Never happened. I either established some bad precedent, or earned some BIG brownie points. Next time for sure.

Attached Files:

Alexander likes this.
  17. I think we need to start killing seals so that they won't eat all of our SRC...bastids!

18. Might have been Fly Fisherman 'zine that asserted PNW steelhead eggs were transported to Patagonia, along with Euro Brown eggs/stock, by the British. I think that was the issue with Prez Jimmy Carter coping with a "two-armer" on the cover.

19. They also have established runs of Kings down there as well.

20. Mike Kinney used to have a pic of a sea run brown trout he pulled out of the NF Stilly in his photo book at creekside anglers.