I won't be bragging up my Renzetti any longer.

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Loren Jensen, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

Tonight, I was tying a Steelhead/ Bull Trout leech on a size 6 streamer hook shank. Ironically, I was telling myself while I was tying it, that it seems I always keep my vise pretty loose, and my fly usually moves a little while tying. I've taken great care of my Renzetti Traveler, and always bragged it up. I love this little vise. But tonight I had an issue. Just got the shank prepped, bunny strip tied in, dubbing loop dubbed, and ran out to the garage to grab a tool, only to come back and see my fly hanging on my bobbin rest, and my jaw looking like this-->

[​IMG]

Pretty ticked off due to the fact that I take care of this thing and never over-tighten my hooks. It's not like I tie that much either.

And now it's gonna cost me about $40 to fix it. I've heard of people bitching and moaning about Renzetti's being junk, and I still believe it's a great vise, so I guess I will buy the replacement part for now. A lot of guys seem to switch to the knob style of jaws over the cam style, which is what I have.

Here's the new jaws, I think this should do it.

http://www.renzetti.com/product.php?productid=16188&cat=304&page=1

Loren

2. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

This makes two Renzettis I know of that have had the jaw break. Maybe two is really nothing and that's all that have failed in world, but I thought you might want to know. Misery loves company and all that....

3. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    that vise could be for smaller hooks because i have the same vise and they said it was for like up to size 6 to small as you wanna go, but i have never used a six on my vise and i usually have my hook in there where it will bounce a little but not where the whole hook will move

4. Loren Jensen

Well the biggest i've tied on was a 4 in this vise, and I tie almost all of my flies with just the shank in the jaws, leaving most of the pressure on a straight piece of metal. I cut off the bend and point of the hooks prematurely so i can smooth them out with a Dremel. Almost all of my flies use a trailer hook.

So I'm not too positive what caused this failure. I might give them a shout sometime this week and see what the hell is up.

Loren

5. wet line

wet line New Member

Loren,

I cann't tell for sure but from the pic it looks like the metal is crystalized below the screw. If so Renzetti owes you one in my opinion.

Dave

6. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I used to own a Traveler with the non-cam jaws . Hated it . I was tying (mostly) small flies , and found the jaw settings to be waaaay to fidgety hold the hook securely . The hook would either be too tight , and sometimes be spit out of the jaws at about Mach 6 , or too loose .It was probably just me , but I could never find the happy medium . Traded the vise for a Hardy Princess and spool . The guy I traded with still loves the Traveler . He now owns two of them .

I now own the Master , and I like the cam jaws on it .

7. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    I have a real old traveler which has the old screw jaws, they worked OK but I replaced them with the cam jaws when they first came out, much better, but the tip of one jaw broke a couple years ago. Unless you replace both jaws you need to send your good jaw to Renzetti so they can match it to the replacement jaw. The jaws are not under warranty, it ended up costing, as I recall, about $60? after shipping. I was not happy with there customer service but I still like there vise and haven't had any other problems since and I use it for everything including 4/0 salmon hooks and some commercial tying. I would stay with the cam jaws, they are much better and faster.

8. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

This is a somewhat normal, although infrequent occurence with Renzetti. Sometimes, they will help you out, other times, you're on your own.
    Good time to switch to Nor vise..................

9. Loren Jensen

I'm not one to have an extra 300 bucks laying around to spend on a vise. Haha!

Seems like a shitty situation. Seems like everyone that has busted a jaw, has to buy a replacment. I don't like that type of customer service, and not because I don't want to spend money. Straight up, it shouldn't have broke. In my eyes, they should replace it for the cost of shipping. Oh well, that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Now I'm in a huge pickle. Waiting for my hours to go up at work, so I can save up some extra cash, and perhaps buy a new, different brand or rotary vise.

I'm wondering if I should fix it, sell it, and buy something different, or keep it (maybe fix it), and buy something different. I'm stuck.

Looking at Regals a little bit, even though I said I'd never own one. I really want a Norvise, but I don't want to break the bank.

10. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

I would email Renzetti customer service and include your picture. To me there is a difference between chipping the jaws because
    you placed the hook to close to the edge verses your failure. Your failure appears to be a more structural failure not user error.
    But until you talk directly to renzetti you don't truely know your options. Ultimaly it will be cheaper to fix your current vise
    then buy an "equal" quallity replacement and it will be easier to sell a fixed vise if you choose to change later.

11. andy.larkin

andy.larkin New Member

This happened to my traveller as well, trying to tie some larger steelhead flies.

Regardless, it's a factory defect and was quickly replaced. It happens to vices no matter the brand.

I've seen this happen to friends' norvises', and a variety of other higher end products.

12. Loren Jensen

Thanks guys, I think I'll e-mail them and see what they have to say about it.

Anyone have their e-mail address? They don't have it posted on their site.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
  14. Loren Jensen

I need their e-mail though so I can attatch a picture and not sound like an average dude with a broken viseeeeeeeeeee...

Edit: Sent them a message saying my problem.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    You sound kindof needy! Their response will be from someone's email account. Good luck with your service and repairs.

16. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Seems to me that they should replace it for free! There's no reason for this to happen if you ask me. If they don't replace it for free, then obviously others have had problems, so, it's costing them money. I'm careful with mine so far, because I have heard of this happening.

17. Loren Jensen

That's how I am, err, was, with mine because I have heard of them chipping. Well this is a bit more substantial than chipping, and I was very careful with my tightness.

Good luck to ya!!

18. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    Jaws exploded on my cam traveler. They told me to send it in and maybe they'd help me out and maybe they wouldn't --not really what I wanted to hear as a commercial tyer. I switched to a Griffin Montana Mongoose and was generally happy, though the jaws chipped too easy (went through two sets in less than 25,000 flies). Now I'm tying on a Jvice, as is one of our other tyers. 10,000 flies in and no problems. www.jvice.com

19. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

Wow. I never particularly liked Renzetti, but this is pretty amazing. I've never seen jaws come apart like this nor heard of indifferent customer service like this.

My first vise, some 12-15 years ago was a Traveller. Talk in the fishing press was all about these new-fangled rotary vises. Had to have one. Never did like it. It never seemed stable and I was always tightening something. Kinda put me off on the whole rotary thing for awhile. Went fast on Ebay, though.

Turned 180 degrees from the Traveller and got an HMH. No gadgets. No frills. Just a solid piece of hardware. Tied on that for years.

Since then I've aquired a half dozen vises including rotary. I've got a Regal and a couple of Dyna-King models and a Griffen. All built better than that Renzetti.

20. Loren Jensen

Well guys,

I e-mailed Lily and she replied saying this, and I quote "Please remove jaws and send them in, Lily."

Thought that was a little rude in a sense that she didn't apologize or anything. Oh well, as long as they fix it.

Looking at getting a Nor-Vise after this one is repaired.