Icicle creek 7/25

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Chris Selvar, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Chris Selvar

Chris Selvar Member

Hit the upper icicle for a few hours lastnight, got to the creek around 6:30. Tied on a elk hair caddis and scrambled down the rocks to the creek. From 6:30 to sundown I was getting a strike every 4th cast or so. As soon as the sun went down the fish went crazy, would get 3 or 4 strikes every cast. Actually I got so many fish my elk hair caddis lost its elk hair and became just a caddis, this didn't matter the kept biting. By about 8 I had landed so many fish they had literally stripped my hook bare. The fish where so hungry they where actually striking the knot between my leader and tippet. In the hour and a half I was there I landed probably 25 fish 10 ldrs and hundreds of missed strikes. By the way I was using a 4wt tfo with 6x tippet.

I loaded this from my iPhone so I hope the picture shows up, this was one of many fish, probably around 6 inches, just shows how colorful they are, average on the night was probably 8 inches they got as small as six, and the biggest was just under 12.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Selvar

Chris Selvar Member

Update... Last weekend I was fishing a beaver pond up off of the FS62 road off of the chiwawa river road, a area that I have traditionally only caught wild rainbows in... Not this time, saw my first brookie up there, not sure how he got there, the beaver pond feeds into the chiwawa river, which dumps into the wenatchee, I guess he could have been washed down from a lake... excpet the beaver pond is spring fed which makes me think he came up from some where?

3. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Awesome! Been wanting to make it up there this summer but haven't as of yet

4. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

Could have been washed down from Schaefer Lake then swam upstream. Schaefer drains into the Chiwawa and is damn full of Brookies. Some real nice, aggro ones up there though in the 12" - 14" range, totally worth the steep 5 mile hike.

Selvar - My real reason for posting on here though: Any intel you're willing to share on fly fishing the Chiwawa or other areas near Plain?

My parents live part of the year on the Upper Wenatchee River, but whenever I visit if I want to fish I either have to drive 40 min. to the Icicle or rent a boat at Fish Lake because of the closures on the Upper Wenatchee, Chiwawa and Nason Creek. Any pointers (even vague ones) for fishable water in that area is greatly appreciated. Not looking to crash your secret spots or ponds, just would love to find one wadable trout fishery in the Lake Wenatchee / Plain area where it's legal to toss flies on some quiet evenings.

5. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Chase,
    White river above the falls is open, small cutts, and RB and also Nason
    Creek above Smithbrook small cutts.
    Kelly Michelsen