Idaho Selkirks

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by troutcatcher6, Jun 3, 2009.

1. troutcatcher6 New Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone backpacked this? Any good fishing? :cool:
  2. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    I have backpacked em, but never fished. Nice area. Where are you thinking of going?
  3. Jason Shutt Dues past due

Close to water, but not close enough
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  4. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I live in the selkirks. What exactly are you wondering?
  5. Dustin Bise Active Member

where does the name selkirk come from? what elevation is the snow at? How many grateful dead avatars do u have? that is all for now...
  6. Dustin Bise Active Member

thought of one more... do u ski the selkirks?
  7. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    The selkirks still have snow in the high elevations. I change my avatar about every two months. Stay tuned, there's a new one coming. Yes, there is some incredible backcountry skiing. I snow shoe old logging roads in the winter and then make turns through old open clear cuts. The selkirks are, IMO, the wildest mountains in the lower 48. You can backpack 50 miles without seeing another person. There’s lakes that far from any trail and require cross country bushwhacking to get to them. These lakes were stocked in the 80's. Let your imagination decide the rest. As well, there is a good population of grizz, wolves, and cougar. There is also the only population of woodland caribou in the 48 up long canyon…….. Incredible place consisting of untouched old growth forests, alpine lakes, and rolling emerald mountains. The Selkirks were named after Thomas Douglas, 5th Earl of Selkirk. They were Canadian settlers.
  8. Dustin Bise Active Member

Thats great! One of my favorite places on this lonely planet is the summit of chimney rock. That place stole my "oh shit i have to step off the edge to get down" viginity. My favorite thing about the selkirks are the massive scree slops flled with house sized boulders and the crystal clear nights with the milky way in one eye, the northern lights shimmering in the other, and the sound of the wildlife making me think I might be the midnight snack soon.
  9. Dustin Bise Active Member