Idaho trip day 5

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    DAY 5

We woke up to a howling wind. We spent most of the morning organizing gear and playing cards. After lunch, we decided to give the bluegill lake a try. We were pleasantly surprised to see calm waters. I decided to throw a white bluegill popper. I managed to catch a couple of bluegill, but I was not slaying. My buddy, Steve, on the other hand, was keeping busy fighting bluegills. Within a half hour of getting on the lake, the wind decided to make its presence known. This was not what we had in mind. We had major white caps and swells.

I was lucky enough to be in a semi protected portion of the lake. I kept on fishing with a Simiseal Leech. I had found a 10' area that appeard to be packed with aggressive bluegills. I spent a good 30 minutes catching bluegills as fast as I could unhook a fish and make an additional cast. The wind finally got hold of my pontoon and blew me to the other side of the lake.
    [​IMG]
    Back in the shadows was where I hooked most of my fish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I fought my way back over to the leeward side of the lake. Steve had brought me an anchor. I would have had to stop fishing if he had not done that for me. I found a spot that worked well for me earlier on this trip. I dropped anchor and tied on a Possum Bugger. I managed to catch 6 more bluegills. Steve and Al were fishing a sheltered cove just around the corner from me. I joined them and managed to not get any srtikes. I decided to fish my way back to the launch. The Possum Bugger worked well. I even managed to catch a 12" LMB with it. I did not know it then, but this would be our last time on this lake.

One more report to come.

Regards

Shawn

Ryan Higgins and Skysoldier like this.
  2. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

That second one is a monster!

3. jasonj

jasonj New Member

Wow those are some big bluegill!

4. Clay Carney

Clay Carney Member

Looks like a good trip. Are you back yet? I'm going to be hitting the gorge tomorrow and maybe Sunday.

5. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    I am looking at going on Sunday. I will try to give you a call.

Regards

Shawn