Ideas for your ultimate pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by TylorStrand, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Wet Wade New Member

Nexus of the Trout Universe
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Forgot one - beer, I mean, cup holders.
  2. Mark Moore Just a Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    This is an idea I am using on a wooden pontoon I have been building for a couple of years in my spare time. I agree with you Mumbles, in that it allows you to stand over the center of balance in a boat that has rocker in the bottom. It also keeps your seat from rubbing your knees raw. I'm not sure how to do it without building a seat from scratch though. My junk is all wood so it was no big deal. I built a floor for my inflatable pontoon and the seat drives me nuts when standing, especially when I'm wearing shorts.

I'm a fellow tinkerer so I can't wait to see what you come up with.
  3. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I'm visualizing a ONE PIECE Ram-X pontoon boat.
    yup, it would be heavier-that's why it has two drop-down portage wheels.
    it also has built-in cup and rod holders, including storage for rods in the hulls; rod holders will accommodate spey rods too.
    integral cooler/storage box behind the molded in seat, just ahead of integral carbon reinforced motor mount that will take a two stroke outboard! hulls built to PLANE, modified hard chine.

instead of footpegs, built-in footrests like the SOT Kayaks have. self-centering oarlocks and cataract oars.
    oh yeah, running lights.
    did I forget anything? :)
  4. ral Rich Layendecker

.Redmond WA
    Here's a point I have not seen: make it really light weight. I have a Scadden Expedition that is 10 years old - 8 ft pontoons and weighs only 32 pounds and the frame only about 48" wide. With that light weight I can carry it over rough terrain and I just hang it on the wall in the garage. All the newer pontoons weigh 60 lbs or more, most over 75 lbs. I think there is a market niche for a lightweight pontoon.
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    crap 75lbs for a one man boat, might as well have a 12 foot raft
  6. gljjr New Member

Fall City, WA
    I have 2 old Skookum toons (circa 1992?). One is a Steelheader and the other the predesessor to the Osprey. Unfortunately the tubes on the Osprey finally died on me last year. They were a bladder, cover type and the bladders disintegrated on me.

Here is what I like and don't like about each.

The Osprey (9' tubes with 12" diameter) is light at 35lbs. It sits low in the water and is easily kicked for use in lakes. Unfortunately, the frame is too light weight to be used in a river (it is half inch conduit).

The Steelheader (9' tubes with 12" diameter) has a swivel seat. I would like to have a locking mechanism when running a river. The floor in front is too high in relation to the seat making it impossible for me to stand up on it. Since I'm heavy, this boat really needs to have the new 10'x29" tubes. My old Hypalon tubes are in great shape even after all this time. My oar locks are too low on the frame causing the oars to hit my knees in order to get them out of the water (this has been fixed on new frames). This boat is HEAVY at about 100lbs. Not something you take out on a whim. The frame is bullet proof. I'll likely be buying new 10'x29" tubes for this one and putting the old ones on the Osprey.

If I were to build one from scratch I would first have to decide how I wanted to fish it. If I were to fish lakes, I would like as narrow a frame as possible with the 10' x 29" tubes while still having enough room to kick the boat. I would then put a mesh floor in that would be strong enough to stand on if I so chose. I would also make it so the flooring could be slid back out of the way if I wanted to use fins. Finally, I would put a pivoting pole on it to act as a leaning post when deployed but easily folded out of the way when not needed.
  7. Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

sequim, wa
    I have an outcast discovery 10IR and love it there are a few things that need improvement of course to make it a better boat the oar locks and oars themselves should be upgraded. I love the standing platform it slides under the seat for rowing or kicking around the lakes. I stand up on the platform without the lean bar and am very comfortable. have stood up on the solduc river barely ever fish sitting down always standing up. the worst feature on the whole boat is the anchor have to reach around to use it and is centered right on the rear deck so makes storage a little difficult. great for short trips could be hard for multiday trips.
    my ultimate pontoon would definatly have a standing platform!! I cant imagine floating with out one.:thumb:
  8. Cast2way row-ho services for hire

Boise, ID
    6061 and most 5000 series aluminums are rated for marine use, basically aluminum without any copper alloyed in. Lots of powerboats obviously have aluminum hulls and construction. I think Scadden's frames are 6061 but not sure how the powder coating would hold up - mine as flaked off in places without any exposure to the salt.