Identify this fish.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gregg H, Nov 30, 2009.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    OK Hap. This is a test. What kind of fish is this?? :D
  2. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    It's a Conook.
  3. Coug84 Go Cougs!!!

Seattle, Washington
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    iagree
  4. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I absolutely agree with what you say, but obviously you are not looking at the cited text. While not based on CA fish it does include some CA fish, native and feral. That is exactly why I ask if you are questioning Mecklenburg or my interpretation.

Assuming I am missing evidence tells me you do not have a clue.
    art
  5. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    You guys are blind. Take a look at the picture again. It is for sure a Striper.
  6. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    I would only be guesing as I have no concrete characteristics available. That is very different from the initial situation, however.
    art
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    On a day when a little humor is going a long way for me I'm thankful for everyone here and for WFF. That first damn fish is a salmon, period. Larry, that fish of yours is a parr, period. JCF, that fish of yours is a striper, period. Maybe some questions cannot be answered with a single less than optimal photo from a challenging angle that shows much more belly and chin than head back and tail. I don't really know what it is but if I caught it I'd be pretty darn happy to post a photo asking those in the know "what is it" even though asking that often gets you ripped on...I'm used to getting ripped on!
  8. jasmillo Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    What about a big sea-run brown? Do they exist in those waters. Only reason I ask is the spots on the head and the upper jaw bone extending beyond the eye. Plus, they do turn that coloration when in the salt.

BTW, I read this stuff on a fish identification site I just found.
    Brown trout that migrate to large lakes or the sea become silvery and lose much of their distinctive spotting. Searun brown trout can often be distinguished from look-alike Atlantic salmon by their upper jawbone extending beyond the eye, their smaller and more numerous black spots on the head, and their smaller scales. After returning from the sea, their freshwater coloration soon reappears. The flesh of brown trout may vary from white to reddish.

I honestly have no clue :)
  9. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    Hold on...

errr, I take it back. You're right.

I think it's one of them Wasilla Salmon-Palinoids. Better to just cut the line on that there thing. Stinky fingers errmm hmmm.
  10. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +161 / 0
    ...and you can POSITIVELY ID the fish in the first post of this thread, but can't ID a fish with a proper-side lateral view showing many distinguishing characteristics?

Wow.
  11. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +847 / 1
    Could it be a good fish with a bad drug problem, hence the mouth? My bet it's a crystal meth fish. LOL. I kid. It did try to "steal" your fly...

Good fish Gregg.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,621 / 0
    Hap,

Consider me stumped. What text did you cite, other than a co-author and unrelated species name? I'm not seeing much help from Fishes of Alaska or smallmouth bass that helps me render a better ID of the subject fish.

The white mouth is certainly not chinook-like, but what I can see in the photos, other than the white mouth, doesn't look like the Atlantics I have seen.

What absolute defining meristic are you seeing that I'm missing?

Sg
  13. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    :rofl:
  14. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Farmed Atlantic Salmon Maybe? It sure looks footballish to me. Definatly doesn't look like any normal Atlantic that I've seen.

either way, cool fish. Thanks for sharing man.
  15. Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Ellensburg, Washington
    Hap
    I see why you may think it's an Atlantic, but I don't see the tel tale spots at eye elevation on gill plate, sometimes can be blue spots with halo, the spots on the gill plate appear to high on the plate to be the marker of a fresh atlantic.:rolleyes:

Furthermore a fresh chinook in dirty water will often have very lightened gums, in fact all the dark hughes will be lighter in color.
    Not a lot to go on with these pics, but I still say chinook.
  16. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    this thread is awesome

very cool looking fish. i would think chinook, but what do i know.
  17. Gregg H Member

Sonoma County Ca,
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    "Identify" MORE PICS FOUND!!

This pot needed stir'n. Black gums, spots on tail.:eek: I talked to a striper guide this morn'n at the dock and he's landed 2 Coho in one week in the delta.
    [IMG][IMG]
  18. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    "Identify" MORE PICS FOUND!!

king. kings used to be up there but have all kind of gone extinct but this could mean that they are coming back which would be a great thing!
  19. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +161 / 0
    Now more than ever my gut says "Chinook".

Mos' def NOT an Atlantic.
  20. jackchinook Member

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    One-third of the guys on here are 100% sure it's a coho.
    One-third of the guys on here are 100% sure it's a Chinook.
    One-third of the guys on here are 100% sure it's an Atlantic netpen escapee.
    A statistically insignificant number of guys think it's something else more interesting.

The only thing this thread really tells us is that 66.67% of the posters are 100% convinced about being 100% wrong.:rofl: